FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

taskbar gone

silvergaze
hi well i got this new problem on my computer. hope u pro guys can help out. well it is like this, my taskbar well it is missing so do any1 have any ideas of gettin it come out again? i tried to restart the computer but it still does not work. furthermore, my computer is lagging! my com doesnt even have many processes running. however it is lagging, tried many programs liao. tuneup 2006 also used. so please realli PLEASE someone pro out there help me out here. it is really a despo please. parents would really be mad when they finds out...
Naif
Download this taskbar repair utility and see if it helps you in restoring it

You can download it from: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm

Maybe you just minimised the taskbar so before you download that utility, try doing this: Move your mouse pointer towards the extreme bottom of your screen. Your mouse pointer should change. Press the left mouse button and drag it towards the top.
mOrpheuS
silvergaze wrote:
hi well i got this new problem on my computer. hope u pro guys can help out. well it is like this, my taskbar well it is missing so do any1 have any ideas of gettin it come out again? i tried to restart the computer but it still does not work. furthermore, my computer is lagging! my com doesnt even have many processes running. however it is lagging, tried many programs liao. tuneup 2006 also used. so please realli PLEASE someone pro out there help me out here. it is really a despo please. parents would really be mad when they finds out...

Follow Naif's advice for your taskbar problem.
For the lagging computer, there can be many reasons for this happening.
Please tell us about your computer specs (CPU, RAM and OS in particular)

Also, many processes run in background so you cannot easily tell.
If you are running Windows XP (or later) hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
This will open the Taskmanager, in the Processes tab, you can see all the processes running on your system.
You can see the CPU and RAM loads in the Performance tab.\

Tell us your CPU and PF usage values when you don't have any programs running. (you can also post a screenshot)
ocalhoun
You may have contracted a virus that is a taskbar-killer, and slows down your system.

You get the default windows help advice from me:
Format and re-install.

This is the magic bullet, cure all for windows!
It is also a great maintenence procedure.
All windows machines should be completely wiped and re-installed at least once every 2 months to maintain system stability and speed.
otiscom
Go with Naif.
grantmaster
recently had a PC in the shop where some Spyware, Malware, was on the system. Can't remember which one it was, cause every one that comes in has something on these days. When I got rid of the bugs, the taskbar was also gone! The registry fix from Kelly's Corner fixed it right up, though.
mark
Check your registry. Also, if your computer is lagging, try msconfig and disable some items. Furthermore, you can go to control panel, administrative settings and disable some items from there.
silvergaze
wow many replies, wad my fren told me tt many ppl would help u out on this forum, guess he was right. anyway thanks guys for all those comments. feel free to continue giving advices man, the more the merrier...Smile
bananaphone
ocalhoun wrote:
All windows machines should be completely wiped and re-installed at least once every 2 months to maintain system stability and speed.

Well, maybe one every six months - I have a lot of files which are a pain to backup and restore.
Naif
I used a Windows 98 installation from 1999 to 2003 (almost 5 years) without formatting my system lol Wink
devroom
bananaphone wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Well, maybe one every six months - I have a lot of files which are a pain to backup and restore.

Agree, just use some programs that help your pc healthy. and for anti spyware, use firefox or opera.

banaaphone wrote:
I used a Windows 98 installation from 1999 to 2003 (almost 5 years) without formatting my system lol

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Please dont say such awful things.
hrrm..
How? Isnt the pc slow? or is your pc just fast?
Naif
The processor I had was a PII with 32 MB RAM which performed like as if it were a 386 with 4 MB of physical memory. The size of the windows registry had grown upto 30 MB or something!! It took forever for the system to boot. But I could not afford a format. I had no choice. Later one day to speed up the system, I downloaded and ran three or four registry cleaners. Some were cleaners, others were compressors. The 30 MB registry shrunk to around 20 MB or so. That helped regain the performance, though not that much.
silvergaze
hmmmz it is of course worth considering that one
Pikokola
ocalhoun wrote:

You get the default windows help advice from me:
Format and re-install.

This is the magic bullet, cure all for windows!
It is also a great maintenence procedure.

Yup, cure the windows... and when you checked for the back up files, and test one by one... Oh no..... The viruses is still in the files Sad

One more time, I prefer you to get some antivirus (remember only one, or sometimes it'll be crashed perfectly, yeah perfectly) and update it continuously Smile

And scan your PC for virusses, and reinstalling it might be the best problem solving

oh yes, if you use win, try to use ctr+esc to show the start menu (remember, your taskbar is gone Very Happy)

And please check it first if you forgot if you hide it somewhere. (my litle brother ever move the taskbar into the top of my desktop and resize it until even a god's eye can't see this (damn he is) - i'll show you the screenshot next time)
silvergaze
hmmm... reformating is good but den all my past programs would be gone. how bout i use system restore is that better?
sunlover
If you use windows xp:

Can you see any icons on your desktop?:
if you can try to look at you opening processes(Press Ctrl+Shift+ESC on your keyboard) and find for the process that use many % of your CPU(Not system idel) and try to close that process, so Open Registry editor and clean up your start up process(same name of your closed process)
silvergaze
i opened it but got so many processes so which one? like wads its name?
Pikokola
well well... that's the "best" point if you format it, all of your programs is gone, In my oppinion, if you use system restore it wouldn't give much help since system restore only restore some system files, if it's come from virusses, your taskbar would be missing again, and if it's because you do something "funny" with your customization, it wouldn't count as system restore.

Abaout the processes, you could sort it by the User name, and search any images that you don't recognize or doesn't know at all about that program(s), and you could search down and find some "malicious" programs and end the process ASAP (don't worry if it's a citical system image, it won't be closed Smile), one more time, the trick to close / end process of a program is usefull for some virusses or when your computer hanged accidently because of a program which eat too much memory or CPU clock, but sometimes, it could break your system. Sad yeah if you don't know about it it might be like a gambling Sad
silvergaze
hmmmz i would rmb tt
Kyle Katarn
I would recommend hitting Winkey+R and typing msconfig. Once that opens, click "Selective Startup" and uncheck "Load System Services" and "Load Startup Items". Then hit OK and reboot when it prompts you. This will disable everything but the vital system processes. From there I would recommend running a virus scan. Personally I like AVG. There's a free version, Google for it. As a side note, you really shouldn't have more than ~30 processes running with no windows open on an average system. And it's also not good if you have more icons by your clock than on your desktop...
silvergaze
oic
n0obie4life
silvergaze, is your taskbar really gone? You are just spamming in this topic.
THE11thROCK™
Kindly post if your problem is already solved.

I believe it can happen if you have a virus as one mentioned above. Sometimes taskbar goes off when the Windows explorer hangs for many other reasons.

The best solution I believe is to first run an antivirus. Then run a check in the registry. If this fixes the problem, your in a great day. However, if nothing happens, reformatting will be your bestfriend as always.
silvergaze
thx guys but i m realli nt spamming. anyway it has been solved i used this program called taskbar repair which was able to make my taskbar reappear. srry for nt tell u guys tt i have solve e problem alrdy but i extend my thx again to all those who had given me many solutions.