FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


CAn Linux be Written in Just One Language?





Possum
Linux is a combination of many languages and packages.

It it possible to have a version of Linux that is compiled from just one Language?
badai
I think, some small distro was written only on C.
jajarvin
Possum wrote:
It it possible to have a version of Linux that is compiled from just one Language?

I think this is not possible. Linux kerner consist of C- and assembly-languages.
Quote:
Linux kernel

The Linux kernel is written in the version of the C programming language supported by GCC (which has introduced a number of extensions and changes to standard C), together with a number of short sections of code written in the assembly language (in GCC's "AT&T-style" syntax) of the target architecture.
Marcuzzo
jajarvin wrote:
Possum wrote:
It it possible to have a version of Linux that is compiled from just one Language?

I think this is not possible. Linux kerner consist of C- and assembly-languages.
Quote:
Linux kernel

The Linux kernel is written in the version of the C programming language supported by GCC (which has introduced a number of extensions and changes to standard C), together with a number of short sections of code written in the assembly language (in GCC's "AT&T-style" syntax) of the target architecture.


Dudes... all OS's are mainly written in C and ASM. I'm pretty sure that even Windows has a lot of core code that is written in either C or ASM... you need to have a low level programming language that runs fast and produces actual machine code that get's fed to the CPU directly.
once these lower levels are loaded you can start loading higher level stuff.

Also keep it in mind, Linux is not an Operating System but an OS kernel and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_space#KERNEL

in the case of Linux, the kernel is mostly C.

a Distribution uses this kernel as it's core and will add stuff to it, like a desktop manager, software repositories and so on..


I'm wondering what you are really asking when you say you want to know if there is a version of linux that is just written in one language... if you want to know a little on how OS's are created you could check out this repository but believe me, an OS dev != web/app dev
deanhills
Nice to see you back Marcuzzo. Hope this is going to be a great year for you!

I dipped into Linux based access for the first time over the festive period. I received a VPS for a gift so didn't have a choice. Great to read this thread though. Thought pretty much Linux was a language of its own with various distributions. Guess everything has a source within a source! Very Happy
Marcuzzo
deanhills wrote:
Nice to see you back Marcuzzo. Hope this is going to be a great year for you!

I dipped into Linux based access for the first time over the festive period. I received a VPS for a gift so didn't have a choice. Great to read this thread though. Thought pretty much Linux was a language of its own with various distributions. Guess everything has a source within a source! Very Happy


Hi Dean, I just drop in from time to time to see if things have changed but to be honest it doesn't and it makes me a little sad.

I hope 2015 will be a better year then the last 2 years have been, thanks bro.

as far as a source in a source. you are right. most systems use the black box principle and are layered.

you've got one part of code that get's loaded into memory and in turn it dispenses a new layer, and so one. some may call it frameworks or runtime environments.

take java ( or the .net framework which operates in a similar way ). the code that is written by the developer is not compiled into a true machine code binary but instead it is compiled into bytecode which get's interpreted ( in simple words. the java.exe will 'read' the bytecode contents of whatever is presented to it and will interprit ( translate ) the code and feed that stuff to the cpu.
Simonjw
It is possible you could build a Linux distribution from one language, but it would definitely be redundant due to the vast amount of software/apps around that run countless different languages.

You wouldn't be able to do much unless you built in-house software/apps for the distribution which would suffice your users needs/wants.

As stated above by most, an operating is based on a variety of programming languages, low level and high level, API's and bridges for everything to tie in together and be a full fledged OS like most people need today.

I suppose if you really looked at it, a OS developed just off one language could be useful from a security stand point and would probably only be used in-house through a company or government organisation as it would be harder to get into and even work your way around it. That is honestly the only way I could ever see it being used, other than "simplicity" reasons.

When I speak about "one language", ideally it would be one low and one high level language to make one entity so to speak, but that's just my way of interpretation.

It's definitely open to some major discussion....

Simon
Possum
Quote:
When I speak about "one language", ideally it would be one low and one high level language to make one entity so to speak, but that's just my way of interpretation.



Yep thats how I would do it.


What I dont like about all these languages is that many do the same thing using different systax.

ie.. == or = or := can mean the same thing in different languages.

Or Begin

end;

Can be

{

}


Just makes me mad


Maybe like you say. One low level and one High Level language. Maybe a middle one too. But using the same syntax where appropriate.
Simonjw
Possum wrote:
Quote:
When I speak about "one language", ideally it would be one low and one high level language to make one entity so to speak, but that's just my way of interpretation.



Yep thats how I would do it.


What I dont like about all these languages is that many do the same thing using different systax.

ie.. == or = or := can mean the same thing in different languages.

Or Begin

end;

Can be

{

}


Just makes me mad


Maybe like you say. One low level and one High Level language. Maybe a middle one too. But using the same syntax where appropriate.


I feel you man, I feel the same way. But this will also depend on one's skill level when it comes to coding. For new people they are able to shop around to see what language suits their understanding, but this will probably change like it did with myself and probably yourself.

I suppose to combat a situation like this would be to code something in a low level language that would translate it's native syntax into what the high level code can read, it makes a bit more work but you'd be able to use one syntax with many different languages. That's just my theory anyway.

Simon
Related topics
The greatest ideas of history
Is the human race truly the final product of evolution?
I have arrived!
Name a (wacky?) English language cultural difference.
The Middle East Conflict
How many Gods are there?
Do you believe in Aliens ?
Greek History
UNIX and LINUX
What is the official language of your country
Genesis in the spotlight..1
Qin Dynasty
world's end?
Noticing lingo...
What Language is Linux Written In
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.