FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need for Backups!

deanhills
Frihost has just had a major whammy strike cPanel of Server 1. Something totally unexpected happened. A mechanical failure of the cPanel server disks. Worse, seems as though there was a mechanical hitch with backups and all current files on cPanel may be irretrievably lost.

Server 1 was in excellent condition at the time when it went down (two days ago). It had just crossed SIX uninterrupted months of not a single day down. Unbelievable! It was my best quality space. The data center that Bondings is using is TOP quality, reputable and in Germany. So it must be a HUGE issue for them too. One of those freak things that only happen in nightmares!

Hence this post. Don't forget to make regular backups of your Websites. Particularly after modifications have been made to it. Bondings takes great care to make sure our data is protected, however it is always a good policy to keep a recent backup in a safe place. If you like you can read the announcement by Bondings below which sets out Frihost policy with backups.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-54725.html#455457

Also important, once you've made a backup don't forget to download the backup to your computer. I'd go as far as copying it to a flash disk as well. Just to be completely sure.

PS: If you are wondering which server your hosting account is on, you can check your sub-domain against the list below:

Server 1: frihost.net
Server 2: frih.net
Server 3: frih.org
Server 4: frihost.org
standready
Always good to backup any critical files no matter where they are (sever, computer, phone).
coolclay
Well crap, my website is gone. I can't even access Cpanel. I know I got behind in my points because I went on a honeymoon for about a month and then the holidays and such.

Do you know what the status is now Dean? I have backups and everything but I can't even access Cpanel anymore. Do you think it's a points issue or a server issue?
Blaster
That sucks cool. Good thing I'm on Server 2. Everything seems to be fine with that. Does anyone know if bondings knows about the issue?
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Well crap, my website is gone. I can't even access Cpanel. I know I got behind in my points because I went on a honeymoon for about a month and then the holidays and such.

Do you know what the status is now Dean? I have backups and everything but I can't even access Cpanel anymore. Do you think it's a points issue or a server issue?
I've PM'd you Coolclay. Great news you made backups as there aren't any available and your account will have to be recreated on Server 1.

Good news is that Server 1 has never been as good and as fast as it is now. The Data Center technicians must have doubled up on everything for Bondings.
rafael2112
All accounts were lost?
johans
fortunately i am on server 4.

How about Server 4 should users also worry? please let us know if there are some issues in server 4 so that we can prepare a backup for our sites.

Thank you.
Blaster
Considering the issue was with Server1 there should be no problems with Server 4.
deanhills
rafael2112 wrote:
All accounts were lost?
Correct. It was a one in a million event. Never seen anything like this before. The cPanel disks failed, and as they were failing the functionality of the backup system was impaired.

Looking on the bright side, the majority of the Frihost accounts on Server 1 had been inactive (for quite a lengthy period of time some for years) as they had been the oldest Frihost accounts dating from 2005-2006/7. So Bondings had the benefit of a HUGE cleanup of the inactive accounts. So far only three active Frihosters on Server 1 have made their appearance. Myself, sonam and coolclay.

With the exception of the few accounts on Server 1, all of the active Frihost accounts are on Servers 4, 3 and 2 - in that order. The majority are on Server 4, being the most recent Server. And Blaster is correct, they should be in great shape as Bondings does look after his servers like a hawk. All of the servers are at an excellent Data Center in Germany and after the latest event with cpanel disks failing, I'm almost certain the Data Center must have doubled up on their attentiveness.
rafael2112
There will be a policy change? How do we get our accounts again...
deanhills
rafael2112 wrote:
There will be a policy change? How do we get our accounts again...
You can PM me your cpanel and domain names. The account will be recreated, but hopefully you have a backup of the content.
Blaster
I wonder if new accounts will be created on server 1 now. Sounds like it would be a good idea.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
I wonder if new accounts will be created on server 1 now. Sounds like it would be a good idea.
Definitely a great idea. If there is any one who has made the required number of quality posts as per Frihost rules and hasn't received a response after they made their application through their account, please let me know by PM.
rjraaz
My hosting account installed at server 4. So, was lucky not to face such situation.

But, will be more careful and do data backup regularly.
coolclay
Thanks Dean. Sounds like a cleanup was definitely in order. Maybe it's a good excuse for me to start with a new site too. It's just so hard to say goodbye to my handwritten html script website I've had since high school. Maybe I can have a new index page with a link to the vintage one for posterity!

If things have been upgraded does that include storage? If that is the case than I guess there is no reason not to start from scratch and link to my "classic" page.
Blaster
I guess it is a good excuse to start a new website. I don't have my first one nor can I even remember what I ever used it for.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Thanks Dean. Sounds like a cleanup was definitely in order. Maybe it's a good excuse for me to start with a new site too. It's just so hard to say goodbye to my handwritten html script website I've had since high school. Maybe I can have a new index page with a link to the vintage one for posterity!

If things have been upgraded does that include storage? If that is the case than I guess there is no reason not to start from scratch and link to my "classic" page.
Yes it does include more storage as compensation for pain and suffering. 3GB Website space and 60GB bandwidth. Think that happened with Server 4 a couple or more years ago too. Those who were affected with down times received compensation for pain and suffering. Razz

A new site in addition to your golden oldie one sounds like a great idea. You could create as many add-on domains as you want within the space limitations. So you could basically have multiple Websites on your hosting account. I've become a real fan of WordPress lately as one can create some really neat static Websites out of them in addition to having WordPress as a blog. So many themes available. Only down side is one can't just let it run on its own like our golden oldie html sites. One needs to tend it all of the time in addition to having some solid security plugins like Bruteprotect and Wordfence to protect against hack and bruteforce script attacks. I never have to worry about my old html site.