FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Simultaneous hosting on 2 servers vs. Name Server routing

subihubi
Hi,
what will actually happen if I establish content for my website provided on 2 different servers from 2 different web hosting. Let's say I registered one name as my own public domain name for a website and give this domain name simultaneously to these 2 web hosters. Then, typing my domain name into the browser, which server will deliver the content? The one from the web hoster who registered first to a public name server to host my web content referred to via my domain name?

With this little example I actually want to know how the exact relation between
- web content provided on a server of a web host
- a public domain name
- the name servers dissolving which servers under which IP provides content for which web address
functions.

Thanks in advance
rx9876
The Domain Name Servers on the Internet keeps the records to map domain name to IP addresses.

In your scenario, I assume the person who type your domain name in their browser, and his computer ask the nearest domain name server for the mapping, and if it has the mapping, it will return the mapping to your computer to do the connection.
If it does not have the mapping, it will ask other domain name server for the mapping.

The answer to your question might be which ip address mapping got returned to the user's computer, and the computer will access your website according to the ip address it got.
badai
what does "give this domain name simultaneously to these 2 web hosters" means?

in your domain registrar, you need to provide your dns server. you can "give" your dns server 2 IPs if it support round robin. i do not know how exactly how this round robin work because it definitely not a load balancer. it might select which IP randomly or alternatively.

be clearer on asking question. your question could mean you somehow magically manage to register your domain at 2 hostings and are using your hosting's dns.
deanhills
subihubi wrote:
Hi,
what will actually happen if I establish content for my website provided on 2 different servers from 2 different web hosting. Let's say I registered one name as my own public domain name for a website and give this domain name simultaneously to these 2 web hosters. Then, typing my domain name into the browser, which server will deliver the content? The one from the web hoster who registered first to a public name server to host my web content referred to via my domain name?

With this little example I actually want to know how the exact relation between
- web content provided on a server of a web host
- a public domain name
- the name servers dissolving which servers under which IP provides content for which web address
functions.

Thanks in advance
You can't give the domain to two different servers at the same time. That's perfectly impossible. When you set up a Website you have to go into your domain account at your Registrar to change the name servers to the ones that your Website is hosted on. And you can only have one set of name servers at your Registrar at a time, which means you can only point your domain at one server at a time.