FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Raspbery Pi vs Arduino

ritwiksaxena54
For do-it-yourself (DIY) electronics, which platform is better : Arduino or Raspberry Pi. Are they similar hardware platforms?
zacky
ritwiksaxena54 wrote:
For do-it-yourself (DIY) electronics, which platform is better : Arduino or Raspberry Pi. Are they similar hardware platforms?

According to this site: http://readwrite.com/2014/05/07/arduino-vs-raspberry-pi-projects-diy-platform

And I quote: " Arduino and Raspberry Pi are quite different. For starters, Raspberry Pi is a fully functional computer, while Arduino is a microcontroller, which is just a single component of a computer. "

So in other words, Arduino is a good choice if you want to control directly a hardware such as movement, on/off switch, and many more..

While Rasp Pi is like a mini computer that just needs a screen and keyboard plus linux based OS.
SonLight
I assume the Rasp. Pi has a wide variety of interfaces to sensors and activators available for it. If so, it might be a great tool for prototyping microcontroller-type interfaces. If successful, you could run the Pi without terminal or screen, either standalone or networked.

I wonder how similar the interfaces are to the two computers. If they are enough alike, the code might be portable so you could mass produce the Arduino version of the device you designed and debugged with the Pi.
Possum
Quote:
For starters, Raspberry Pi is a fully functional computer, while Arduino is a microcontroller

Also do look at the banana pi which is better than the Raspberry pihttp://www.lemaker.org/
cybersa
My Vote for Raspberry Pi.
Because of Good Support.
Possum
Support.. Yes.... That does make a difference.
SonLight
Possum wrote:
Quote:
For starters, Raspberry Pi is a fully functional computer, while Arduino is a microcontroller

Also do look at the banana pi which is better than the Raspberry http://www.lemaker.org/

I took a quick look at the page for banana pi. The link was wrong, by the way; I actually edited the quote so that it should work from my post. Lemaker is from Shenzhen, China. They now have two products available, the banana pi developed over a year ago and the banana pro which is new. I didn't find prices for either of these. They do mention Arduino compatability, so probably either a raspberry or a banana would be a good development platform for anything Arduino.

It would be interesting to get comparisons between these, especially prices on the bananas.
Possum
Quote:
It would be interesting to get comparisons between these, especially prices on the bananas.

Right now the Raspberry has better information and support. But the banana looks to be acceptable powerful.

Quote:
For do-it-yourself (DIY) electronics, which platform is better : Arduino or Raspberry Pi

If its to control servos then Arduino

But if you want to build something like a home server to WiFi router then Raspberry
quanmechanix
In my own opinion, they are almost exactly the same when you use both because they can do almost the same and they are both micro-controllers.

The only advantage of Raspberry Pi that I know when it comes to programming the board is that it supports more high-level languages such as Python, Ruby, and other easy to understand and to write scripting languages while when you are dealing with an Arduino board, you depend much on Arduino C/C++ and Assembly Language. Wink

Anyway, both are good single-board micro-controllers and are easy to understand once you get to know one of them. It is also up to you to know what are the difference of both because most of the opinions will be coming from you, yourself. Smile

Source: Based on my own experience with both board. Smile
jaeha
Arduino is a microcontroller and it has own developer tool and using C language. it used for electronic projects. For example, you can make a security system by connecting movement sense with camera and motors..

Raspberry Pi is full function mini-PC. You can install Linux and have several tools to develop application, including Python. You can connect keyboard and screen(HDMI). I saw many people using it for media player.

Arduino is much cheaper and you could buy it less than $10 from ebay, and several pre-built modules are available as well.
schermann
If you are a PRO and need it to stable control a nuclear powerplant i would suggest Arduino, because you are programming direct on the hardware and not on top an operating system. so it is less complex and therefor more stable.

If you want to have it simpler OR need a powerful CPU for a complex control circuit take the Raspberry. It also has a large community where you can find code-samples for everything. You also have an operating system with all the benefits (webserver, file IO, ...). For home-usage that is the best way to go.
vsnake
i have done some projects in arduino and i find it very easy to programing it
ssiera
Yes, a Raspberry does not keyboard or monitor for working...We made recently a project, which included Raspberry Pi (+ gertboard), web server and web pages. Anyway, the problem was the size of gertboard, it is huge!
nicokant
I think that they are both perfect, it depends on the project. If you need a board with full-operative system able to run server and at the same time interact with hardware choose the Raspberry. If you simply need a micro-controller you should prefer Arduino.

Basing on price, I suggest Raspberry, adding 10 euro you have ethernet shield, usb, hdmi and a lot of other things as default