FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Comp building explananation of FSB

Dark-Tech
im thinking bout building a new computer and ive come across a major dilema my lack of a motherboard...

well i look for a motherboard and find that no one will tell me the @$^^#ing processor speed only FSB

so im looking around and no one tell me how to convert it to processor speed for instance

1066/800MHz is supposed to be a 3ghz processor but what is
800/533MHz or
533/400MHz

is there an equation how do i tell

also i found a mother board that can support 16 gig of ram with 4 slots for ram but i cant find a 4 gig ram chip anywhere
Boles Roor
Ghz equasion is Front Side Bus x Multiplyer.
My CPU is overclocked at 235 x 11 = 2585 Mhz.

Though, you won't find the speed of the processor on your MoBo. Just look at the CPU you're buying. There you usually find the stock Ghz.
Naif
"What is 800/533MHz or 533/400MHz"

Thats the FSB speed your motherboard can support. 800/533 means that a processor with an FSB of either 533 MHz or 800 MHz is supported and similarly, 533/400 means that a processor of either 400 MHz or 533 MHz FSB is supported. The FSB is also referred to as the system clock. Its the speed at which the processor communicates with the motherboards chipset. so Buy a processor with a higher FSB like 800 MHz. I didnt know processors with a 1066 FSB were available Confused

If you have a look at the manual of a motherboard, you'll find the maximum speed supported by it in one of the first few pages.
Ping
Boles Roor wrote:
Ghz equasion is Front Side Bus x Multiplyer.
My CPU is overclocked at 235 x 11 = 2585 Mhz.

Though, you won't find the speed of the processor on your MoBo. Just look at the CPU you're buying. There you usually find the stock Ghz.

This is indeed true. BTW looking at your specks you have ONE NICE COMPUTER!
Dark-Tech
that was the thing im looking to upgrad the mother board and i couldnt find the ghz of the processor in the discription of the mother board and i figured the Front side bus must have something to do with it i guess i just need to look deeper into the subject
ocalhoun
Buy a motherboard-CPU combo, that way you don't have to worry about it, and you save money too.
Dark-Tech
ah i see now i was looking at mother boards that were lacking the CPU