FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Socks, are they needed?

chasbeen
Christmas is coming and every year I get more amd more socks.

When I was little I use to get a football sock and Santa use to fill it (In those days, tangerines, pointless plastic toys and sweets). Socks disappeared for at least 30 years and then when I was nearly 40 someone gave me a present with a pair of socks (think it was the mother in law). I threw them away, feeling insulted but the following year I got 2. Like the previous year I ignored them and opened the pricier more useful presents (Although sadly these were getting smaller, cheaper and less relavant every year).

When I was 50 I was having bonfires trying to get rid of the "Christmas sock consignment" and one year a neighbour started complaining about air polution and thretening to get the council involved.

Are you getting socks for Christmas and how do you get rid of them ?
standready
All I get is nothing unless I go buy something for myself. My family does not make any effort.
chasbeen
Yeah all a bit sad init. Don't even drink now, thats lost it's novelty.
Crying or Very sad
Insanity
I think socks are a useful gift. People need it all the time because they keep your feet warm. I don't mind getting socks for a gift.
truespeed
People always need socks. Smile
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
People always need socks. Smile
Absolutely agreed! I never get them though. Darn! Can't remember when last someone bought me a Xmas present, except for work of course. Xmas is usually reserved for my nephews and nieces. Then again, can't recall whether I've seen any one buying socks for Xmas. Usually something in the electronics line.
Blaster
I get socks for christmas usually. I think its great. Christmas is a big thing in my family though.
chasbeen
Ok, let me get this straight. I didn't say I did not like socks and when I need some I buy the best and the ones I want.

I can't stand getting them for Christmas though and used some I got last year to make cushions.

Another thing I notice as soon as I say something like "I don't like socks" you lot, all of a sudden, love socks!
truespeed
Now I just want to see your cushions made of socks. Wink
Blaster
I could see you getting mad if you only got socks. But by the sounds of it you seem like you get more. Plus it doesn't hurt to use the socks for other things. Like you said you made cushions out of them. You could use them to help clean your car or as a dust mit too.
chasbeen
No, I use to burn them. Now I wrap them up again and give them as birthday presents.
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
No, I use to burn them. Now I wrap them up again and give them as birthday presents.
Just hope you're not giving them as a birthday present to someone who may have given it to you for Xmas. My Mom used to do that. Not with socks. But quite interesting what can happen with unwanted gifts, sort of make their way back to the original owner. Razz
freedomfighters
I guess they are needed. Like the last topic
jajarvin
chasbeen wrote:
Are you getting socks for Christmas and how do you get rid of them ?

Every Christmas Santa Claus brings to me wool socks. They are very useful gifts.
Here in Finland winter is often quit cold and with help of these wool socks my feet will be warm.
chasbeen
To right they are needed. When I lived in Canada I had very chunky socks.
Da Rossa
Socks are always needed, like someone else pointed above.
And not only for sticking in the fireplace... but for the proper usage: to wear them.
tonberry
It's possible that you don't pay attention to the stock market. It may be that socks are currently trading very high (in fact in some countries they trend so high that the stock market was at some point renamed to sock market). Who knows, maybe your relatives follow stock market closely and have decided to withdraw their funds to get you some best trending socks and you burn them instead of cashing them and living the life of a God. Your neighbour is probably just jealous - he recognizes the smell of burning socks and thinks you just do it because you're so filfthy rich, whereas you just don't know how lucky you are with those relatives of yours.
chasbeen
tonberry

theres no sign of socks making money otherwise I would be very rich indeed Sad
Also the cost of buying them would go up and then i'd probably get sent gloves instead SadSadSad
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
tonberry

theres no sign of socks making money otherwise I would be very rich indeed Sad
Also the cost of buying them would go up and then i'd probably get sent gloves instead SadSadSad

Not true. Check out kickstarter.com. Laughing

GoodFoot Socks: Performance Socks for the Business World
chasbeen
Deanhills

I'm just rushing out to the garden.

Maybe I can save a few boxes from the latest consignment

Sad
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
Deanhills

I'm just rushing out to the garden.

Maybe I can save a few boxes from the latest consignment

Sad
Right. Then you can hire a marketing company, create a really good marketing video, open facebook and twitter accounts. Laughing
chasbeen
deanhills

hey this is almost live!

I'll keep you updated, if it takes off I might have a position for a financial controller. It would be part time and commission based so i'll let you know.
Peterssidan
I often get all kinds of things that I never use but socks are above average in usefulness, if they aren't too small.
chasbeen
Peterssidan

As you can imagine I don't like socks being sent as presents. One year I got a set that were a good fit for my hamster but apart from that nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

and also your another one that, all of a sudden, likes socks!
spinout
yes - otherwize i get stuck by the goo on the floor...
chasbeen
sPINOUT
The goo on the floor?

Why don't you clear it up? I just get the cleaning crew in.
deanhills
I seem to recall we also used socks for kittens or puppies to keep them cozy at night. Together with a ticking clock.

Googled it and just found the RSPCA using plenty of socks, so maybe you could donate yours to them? Razz

Source: https://www.thedodo.com/rescue-kittens-swaddled-in-tin-674512039.html
spinout
The goo on the floor - well it kind of gets there all the time--- My grandma used so much butter in the kitchen there was goo even in the seiling....
loveandormoney
Inside the house
You do not need socks inside the house.
Peterssidan
loveandormoney wrote:
Inside the house

If it's cold on the floor it feels much better with socks on but otherwise I agree that no socks are needed inside the house.
loveandormoney
Peterssidan wrote:
loveandormoney wrote:
Inside the house

If it's cold on the floor it feels much better with socks on but otherwise I agree that no socks are needed inside the house.

Maybe You try to use a carpet.[/youtube]
BigGeek
I am not sure why anyone would be upset or feel offended by a gift at Christmas - Every year I get socks from people - I LOVE IT - it is the best gift - I love getting them - Personally I have not purchased socks for decades now because my family gives me socks - I have come to count on them - I also get Cloths - Pant, Shirts, T- Shirts. It is great it keeps me from having to go out and shop and buy these items during the year, so not only is is a gift I love, wear, and use regularly - but it also helps me save money because I get clothing for free that I do not need to spend money for out of my budget Smile

Not sure when someone needs to get rid of socks - typically I get rid of them when they have holes in them - not when they are new Very Happy
Peterssidan
loveandormoney wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
loveandormoney wrote:
Inside the house
Maybe You try to use a carpet.
Yes that works too, but I prefer not to have carpets because it's more work cleaning.
coolclay
You can send all your extra socks to me. I burn through socks like nobodies business! Here in the Northeast of the US, you need socks for all seasons and all reasons. Warm wool socks, warm synthetic socks, cool socks, hiking socks, climbing socks, regular socks, and dress socks of course.

Now the real question is do you were socks when you sleep, and do you where them when you get "romantic"? I feel weird wearing them to bed and when I am being "romantic".
raaeft1
I love warm socks especially in the winter. Earlier, my wife used to knit woollen socks for me but now she buys them from the market even though they are bit expensive.
Peterssidan
coolclay wrote:
Now the real question is do you were socks when you sleep, and do you where them when you get "romantic"? I feel weird wearing them to bed and when I am being "romantic".

I prefer to not have socks in bed but if it's cold I use them. If I wake up in the middle of the night I can often remove them because the bed has been warmed up.
pindar
Socks are the best
spinout
yews socks are the best! Atleast in my house - in the dojo it is forbidden...
chasbeen
Ah the dojo.

It's dangerous there you could slip easily Sad