FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lets Riot it Makes Things Better

Blaster
To anyone that has no idea whats going on in the states right now there is Rioting going on in Ferguson Missouri. The rioting comes after a not guilty verdict for an officer involved shooting of an unarmed black male by a white police officer.

So what does rioting actually accomplish?

MODERATOR - Moved from General Chat to News
- Ankhanu
RosenCruz
It tells government that you will not bow. they will not bow. they can not just kill a young boy for nothing and continue with their lives. they can not rule like this. not in 2014.
standready
Peaceful protesters I don't mind (they have the right) but those that come out and take advantage of the situation to loot and destroy businesses makes me sick.
Blaster
RosenCruz wrote:
It tells government that you will not bow. they will not bow. they can not just kill a young boy for nothing and continue with their lives. they can not rule like this. not in 2014.

He wasn't killed for nothing. He was killed when he reached for an officers gun. To that officer it was either him or the bad guy and he wanted to go home and see his family.

As for peaceful protests I've been apart of them. You may remember after Joe Paterno was fired a few riots and peaceful protests erupted. I was there at the time. I was not apart of the riots but was there for the peaceful protests.

I really just don't understand why they were setting everything on fire. That sounds smart. Light the stores we go to on fire...
Insanity
Sometimes people think that peaceful protests won't do anything to change the current situation, so that's why they start rioting. Also, some people just get so emotional and angry about the situation that they start acting their feelings out by rioting. It's not exactly rational, but sometimes when you're angry and caught up in a mob of people who share similar sentiments, and riots happen.
truespeed
I have not really been following this story,but I found this gif of Brown on imgur.

Big guy.

Blaster
Yup its called a strong arm robbery. Pretty impressive that the guy who did this never does anything wrong and he was a good kid.
deanhills
I get the feeling that the riots were about more than one incident. It's a manifestation of plenty of tension between those who have and those who don't have. I don't like the idea of riots, particularly if I'd built up a business for most of my life and had it burnt down. But there's obviously something wrong somewhere that begs to be fixed. A touchy subject though that could probably make or break a politician, hence why Obama has been so slow in responding with basically saying nothing at all except "calm down".
Blaster
Its honestly sad. These people riot for the sole purpose of looting. Most of these people use the Michael Brown thing as a reason to act like savages.
jmraker
Riots are not meant as a way to make things better.

In my uninformed opinion the people that are rioting are doing so because they see "the man" getting away with breaking the law (in their opinion) and if "the man" is ok to break the law and get away with it then it's okay for them to also break the law, so they go out ready for civil disobedience and the more people with that mentality group up the nastier it gets.
deanhills
jmraker wrote:
Riots are not meant as a way to make things better.

In my uninformed opinion the people that are rioting are doing so because they see "the man" getting away with breaking the law (in their opinion) and if "the man" is ok to break the law and get away with it then it's okay for them to also break the law, so they go out ready for civil disobedience and the more people with that mentality group up the nastier it gets.
But what about the civil rights of innocent individuals who are implicated when their properties are destroyed and ramsacked in the process? Collateral damage? Don't think this kind of justice works for me. More like injustice perpetuating itself. Quite often also it is more of the criminal type individuals who are destroying and looting businesses, than those who have a "just" cause to riot. So there is a very fine line between justice and crime in this case.
Blaster
There is no justice at all. The poor small business owners are now without their business. This causes a domino effect. Now these businesses are not longer running and people are out of work. So really they just made it worse off for their community.

As Americans it is our constitutional right to protest. It is seen all the time. We have the historical events like Martin Luther Jr and his March on Washington. And we have small scale strikes by companies. These protests don't hurt anyone and don't destroy anything.
coolclay
Calm peaceful protests also very rarely make the news. It's all about critical mass. Most protestors in any protest fight extremely hard to control the violent factions of their group. However there always will be a few violent people that either A. think violence gets attention, B. Enjoy chaos, and anarchy, C. Want to steal crap.

Young unemployed black men have nothing to look forward too, no hope, no future, and nothing but rage in their hearts for the injustices they perceive. Its no different than violent protests in the middle east, or anywhere else in the world you get a large number of testosterone filled, hopeless (predominantly male) people together and you will have riots.

I am sure most of you have listened to Sublimes "April 29, 1992" which is about the Rodney King situation, which happened 20 years ago now and still to the black community nothing has changed.

I have no opinion on the facts of the situation, I was not there and I am sure the officer didn't take a life unless he was fearful of his own. I also still have some faith in our justice system, even though historically speaking I probably shouldn't. Sometimes it takes violence to get people to listen, but often it just has the opposite effect.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
I also still have some faith in our justice system, even though historically speaking I probably shouldn't. Sometimes it takes violence to get people to listen, but often it just has the opposite effect.
Glad to hear Coolclay. I'd agree with you. If someone from a gang comes at you with any kind of weapon with a threatening manner, and there is a history of real deep seated violence, I'd probably do the same. Must be an almost impossible task to be a police officer in a community like that. I seem to recall they had similar issues in London up to recently amounting to public versus police. Media is not always completely unbiased and likes to play to public sentiment as it obviously means more income.
Blaster
Media is usually biased. I've seen it first hand. Plus like cool said the peaceful stuff never makes the news. It might make local news but almost never national. Just this past week my area had a peaceful protest supporting our brothers in blue (Cops). 7 miles of a road were stretched with people showing support. No one was causing problems and it made local news but thats as far as it went.

Also cool its funny you bring that song up. That song perfectly describes how little has changed. I first listened to that song because of how close it is to my birthday (I was born April 24th, 1992) and that song is just so true.
jajarvin
Blaster wrote:
So what rioting really achieved?

It depends on the circumstances.
Sometimes you do not achieve anything.
Sometimes a revolution is born.