FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which States have you visited in the United States?

deanhills
Just picked up on this in Blaster's post about one of the things he wants to do before he dies. Visit all 50 states of the United States. So thought it would be fun to check to which States we've been.

Here is my list (18 states):

Washington State
Oregon
California
Nevada
Utah
Arizona
Colorado
New Mexico
Texas
Louisiana
Minnesota
Massachusetts
New York
West Virginia
Maryland
Georgia
Florida
Hawaii

I don't know how I haven't visited Michigan State yet. Definitely on a "to visit" place one day. Also Idaho, new Hampshire, Vermont and Rhode Island.
RosenCruz
None. But I guess I would like to start with Hawaii. Sounds like a nice start. I do not like crowded environments so I will avoid New York until last moment. Would like to see CA too. May be a piece of New Mexico. I had a pen pal there, from Albuquerque. I might got to see her Smile
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
None. But I guess I would like to start with Hawaii. Sounds like a nice start. I do not like crowded environments so I will avoid New York until last moment. Would like to see CA too. May be a piece of New Mexico. I had a pen pal there, from Albuquerque. I might got to see her Smile
New Mexico is GREAT. If you don't like crowded, it's a place where you can travel with plenty of open spaces. New York may be crowded, but fascinating at the same time. A total different culture, unique accent, way of looking at things. Maybe if you go to the States you could use an airline that stops over there and you can stay there for one day. Hawaii is resort type relaxation. CA is totally recommended for a holiday on its own, travelling down the coast. Including San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. If it's your first time, a visit to Sea World in San Diego is an absolute must. I prefer the Disney World and Epcot Center in Orlando, Florida, so I'd give the LA Disney World a miss. I did stay at the Queen Mary Hotel, think it is in Long Beach LA and really enjoyed it, particularly the Churchill's restaurant. Had my best prime rib ever there. Then I also remember Fisherman's Wharf as a highlight in San Francisco.

New Orleans is also something completely different and unique. I'd like to revisit it again one day. I had a tour of the city, and the guide was a lady with the typical New Orleans Cajun accent, and her grave yard stories were very entertaining. Enjoyed the French Quarter there at night with all of the jazz music. Stayed three days in the French Quarter, but can be noisy, so good idea not to go for old historic hotels with rickety doors, and wooden floors. I first stayed in the Jackson Hotel for historic, but then moved to the Holiday Inn for a little bit of insulation from the internal noise. I remember at the Jackson Hotel when the front door closed it vibrated right through the building. Interesting place New Orleans. Food anywhere in French Quater was amazing from breakfast to dinner. I remember I stocked up on some special cajun spice and used that for a couple of years afterwards.
rafael2112
Really US has beautiful cities, the states of Florida and California are those who would like to visit, the inner cities are also interesting.

Chicago is a beautiful metropolis

amagard
Let's see ...

In the West:
California
Oregon
Washington
Nevada
Utha
Arizona

In the East:
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Masssachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticutt
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Maryland
District Of Columbia
North Carolina
Florida

Always stayed at the coast, sort of, never really made it into the middle of the States.
Blaster
The sad part is that some of you have been to more states than I have. However I've lived in more than you I'm sure.

Pennsylvania (I live in the south eastern region. If you're ever in Philly you're right up the road)
Delaware (Tax free shopping. 10 minutes from where I live)
New Jersey (The only state you can go to for free but have to pay to go home. Also has the shore. 10 Minutes from the bridge for me)
New York
Maryland
Washington D.C.
Virgina
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
West Virgina
Ohio
Indiana

So as you can see I've been mainly on the East Coast. Most of them states where when we drive to Florida when I was younger or a few years ago when we drove to Indiana.
deanhills
Blaster, I'm about the same. I'm a Canadian citizen, and in spite of having traveled a number of States in the US, I've only been to four provinces out of the 10 provinces in Canada: British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec.
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
New Mexico is GREAT. If you don't like crowded, it's a place where you can travel with plenty of open spaces. New York may be crowded, but fascinating at the same time. A total different culture, unique accent, way of looking at things. Maybe if you go to the States you could use an airline that stops over there and you can stay there for one day. Hawaii is resort type relaxation. CA is totally recommended for a holiday on its own, travelling down the coast. Including San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. If it's your first time, a visit to Sea World in San Diego is an absolute must. I prefer the Disney World and Epcot Center in Orlando, Florida, so I'd give the LA Disney World a miss. I did stay at the Queen Mary Hotel, think it is in Long Beach LA and really enjoyed it, particularly the Churchill's restaurant. Had my best prime rib ever there. Then I also remember Fisherman's Wharf as a highlight in San Francisco.

New Orleans is also something completely different and unique. I'd like to revisit it again one day. I had a tour of the city, and the guide was a lady with the typical New Orleans Cajun accent, and her grave yard stories were very entertaining. Enjoyed the French Quarter there at night with all of the jazz music. Stayed three days in the French Quarter, but can be noisy, so good idea not to go for old historic hotels with rickety doors, and wooden floors. I first stayed in the Jackson Hotel for historic, but then moved to the Holiday Inn for a little bit of insulation from the internal noise. I remember at the Jackson Hotel when the front door closed it vibrated right through the building. Interesting place New Orleans. Food anywhere in French Quater was amazing from breakfast to dinner. I remember I stocked up on some special cajun spice and used that for a couple of years afterwards.

Ahh yes. I definitely want to see San Fransisco. A liberal, democrat, intellectual city with nice people in it.

deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:

Ahh yes. I definitely want to see San Fransisco. A liberal, democrat, intellectual city with nice people in it.
WOW, that is so such a good description of the people and you haven't been there yet. Intellectual city is totally on the mark for San Francisco.
Afaceinthematrix
California (lived there most of my life and is the only U.S. state that I have lived in)
Oregon
Washington
Montana (barely, I drove through a small corner of (probably less than 10 miles) and got out an had a beer just so that I could claim that I'd been there)
Wyoming
Nevada
Arizona
Utah
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Louisiana
Minnesota
Pennsylvania

So I've been to 13. The hard part about visiting a lot of states in the U.S. when you live in Southern California is that visiting the northern border is hard (it'd probably take me 12 hours to drive to Oregon) and if I visit the two states to the east (Nevada and Arizona), I've just entered another very large state that would take forever to drive through. So there really aren't too many states near me to visit.

I'm trying to get a job in Kentucky (there's a company that I interviewed with that will require me to relocate to Kentucky if hired). If I do get the job, I'll be in a state that is bordered by seven states that I've never been to and some of these are pretty small which means driving through them to get to yet some more states isn't too difficult. If I get to move to Kentucky, my list of 13 will probably jump to more than 25+ fairly quickly (just the drive out there would take me through states that I haven't been to such as Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Indiana, and Illinois). For instance, Tennessee is only 120 miles north to south. So once I reach the Kentucky/Tennesse border, I can be in George, Mississippi, or Alabama in 2 hours.
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

WOW, that is so such a good description of the people and you haven't been there yet. Intellectual city is totally on the mark for San Francisco.

Oh thanks. The country I'm currently living in is going towards a direction that I dislike. San Fransisco is my model, my dream of homeland. Sadly, that will never gonna happen.

May be I will visit someday and get a nice taste of it for a few days. Rolling Eyes

http://www.sanfrancisco.travel/
Insanity
I've only really been in California, where I live. I haven't ventured otu much because I'm so young and I haven't gotten the chance to see any of the other states. I think if my parents wre more adventurous I would see more of the states. I hear New York is really cool though, I think I'd like to go there if I can because it's on the opposite side fo the country and I'm sure people there are pretty different.
Blaster
Afaceinthematrix I have to ask how Pennsylvania made it on your list. I can understand the other states. But PA is completely the other end of the country.
Afaceinthematrix
I find it interesting that you can't understand PA but you can understand Louisiana and Minnesota. All of those required flying (since driving would have taken me through states that I did not list).

If you must know, I went to a business meeting in Philly for a few days. I saw a few tourists attractions and a few nice restaurants but mostly worked in the conference room inside the hotel.

The other states that I've flown into are: Wyoming (then drove to Montana) - which was a Yellowstone vacation, Oklahoma - visiting family, Louisiana - New Orleans vacation, and Minnesota - boundary waters canoe wilderness vacation.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I'm trying to get a job in Kentucky (there's a company that I interviewed with that will require me to relocate to Kentucky if hired). If I do get the job, I'll be in a state that is bordered by seven states that I've never been to and some of these are pretty small which means driving through them to get to yet some more states isn't too difficult.
Best of luck with the interview Matrix. Does it mean that you're already back in the States, or are you still in Africa?
Afaceinthematrix
I'm back in the States. I lost my job a couple of months ago because of the West Africa Ebola outbreak. My work shut down for safety reasons and so I flew back because it would have been almost impossible to find another job in that situation. Now I'm working a few part time jobs in the States. The job phone interview for the software company in Kentucky went well and the person who interviewed me just has to get approval from his boss and if he does get approval then they'll have me come out for an in-person interview.

I've always wanted to visit all 50 U.S. states. Maybe with this new job I'll have to opportunity to see many of them. Hawaii and Alaska remain difficult.
Blaster
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I find it interesting that you can't understand PA but you can understand Louisiana and Minnesota. All of those required flying (since driving would have taken me through states that I did not list).

Really didn't pay attention to the other 2. Just noticed most of what you had was on the west coast. Considering i'm from PA I just saw and had to ask.
pravojednostavno
Only Florida
Blaster
this has been floating around on facebook and I figured it hit the nail on the head with this topic

http://m.maploco.com/visited-states/
Afaceinthematrix
Blaster wrote:
Really didn't pay attention to the other 2. Just noticed most of what you had was on the west coast. Considering i'm from PA I just saw and had to ask.

Understood. Although if you're from the Philly metropolotin area you should probably be used to seeing people from all over the country. Their the ones walking around snapping pictures at random things and asking where you buy the best Philly Cheese Steak.

On a side note, I just got off the phone with the software company and they're flying me out to Kentucky on December 2! I hope I get the job! At any rate, I'll be adding Kentucky to my list soon enough.
Nyasro
Though California is a populous state, I liked its environment and people. Go around the places and enjoy everything there... girls too lol
Blaster
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Understood. Although if you're from the Philly metropolotin area you should probably be used to seeing people from all over the country. Their the ones walking around snapping pictures at random things and asking where you buy the best Philly Cheese Steak.

On a side note, I just got off the phone with the software company and they're flying me out to Kentucky on December 2! I hope I get the job! At any rate, I'll be adding Kentucky to my list soon enough.

I live in the suburbs so don't really see it that much. But yea trust me I know. The correct answer to that is not pats or genos btw.
deanhills
Good luck with the interview Matrix! Sounds very positive! Cool
jajarvin
I have so far visited New York and Pennsylvania.
So I have about 49 states to visit in future.
johans
none for me so far.

But hopefully next year i can visit

NEW YORK
betfunder
Michigan is the only state I've visited. Detroit and a Lions game at Ford Field!
Blaster
jajarvin wrote:
I have so far visited New York and Pennsylvania.
So I have about 49 states to visit in future.

There is 50 states so that would leave you left with 48 Smile
Afaceinthematrix
I just go back from Ohio and Kentucky. I can add those two to my list. I also got the job and the week after next my boss and I are traveling to Pennsylvania (already been there so that won't add to my list) to work with some customers and after the new year we're going to Indonesia and possibly Mongolia. It looks like I'll get quite a few more states (my boss has been to 49/50 with work) and quite a few more countries...
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I just go back from Ohio and Kentucky. I can add those two to my list. I also got the job and the week after next my boss and I are traveling to Pennsylvania (already been there so that won't add to my list) to work with some customers and after the new year we're going to Indonesia and possibly Mongolia. It looks like I'll get quite a few more states (my boss has been to 49/50 with work) and quite a few more countries...
That is AWESOME news Matrix. Congratulations. Mongolia's probably going to be cold but never been there so would love to hear what your impressions are. Haven't been to Indonesia either, nor Pennsylvania. 49/50 states is humungous. Which one has he missed out on?
Blaster
I must know which state your boss hasn't been to. Also where are you going to be at in my great state of PA?
Afaceinthematrix
My boss has never been to Maine. When he said that he has been to 49 states my immediate response was "So do you have Alaska or do you have Hawaii left?" because those seem the hardest to get. It turns out that we've had customers in both.

I'll be going to Tully Town, PA - just outside of Philly. I've already seen Philly and so I don't mind being in the suburbs (as long as I can get a cheese steak!). Besides, I'm new on the job so I'll probably focus on work for 16 hours a day and focus on not much else. After I've been working here a while, I'll maybe be able to start doing a little "after-work sight seeing" for an hour or two when I'm in a city. I also have friends all over the country (from university (many people from out of state came to my university or left California after graduating to pursue employment) and from a former job where I associated with people from most states) and it will be nice to be able to have a beer with a friend after work every once in a while. However, I'm a long way from there because right now I'm under an incredible amount of pressure simply because I have to learn a new field and be able to perform in front of customers. It's Saturday and my official start day isn't until Monday (Dec. 8) but I've been working since Thursday so that on Monday I'll have a slight heads start.
Blaster
Well good luck getting a good cheesesteak in Tullytown. You're a bit too far north for that. Hell going into North Philly is a bad place to get a cheesesteak. Cheesesteaks are a South Philly thing.
Afaceinthematrix
Worse case scenario I'll just pay the obsene amount of money to buy one at the airport (it won't be as good and will be double the price).

On a side note, I know a few people who have been to all 50 states (my father, for instance).
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
On a side note, I know a few people who have been to all 50 states (my father, for instance).
That's great to hear. Did he do it as part of his work, or did he make a special effort to visit each and every one of them?

Great to hear you're fired up about the job. Looks as though you're going to have a worthwhile pursuit for the holidays ahead.
Blaster
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Worse case scenario I'll just pay the obsene amount of money to buy one at the airport (it won't be as good and will be double the price).

Do you know what airport you will be landing at?
Afaceinthematrix
Blaster wrote:

Philly International Airport (PHL). My boss is leaving 2 hours before me and we're driving together and so I'll have 2 hours to try and see if I can find a cheese steak in the airport. If not, I've been to Philly before (downtown classic tourist area) and I had a good sandwich (I asked my hotelier to give me directions to somewhere good) and so it isn't that urgent. Plus, we have big customers there and so this probably won't be my own trip there.

I can also cook up my own. I assume you just cook up some greasy meat with some melted cheese on a baguette.

deanhills wrote:
Did he do it as part of his work, or did he make a special effort to visit each and every one of them?

A little bit of both. He's probably worked in about 40 of them, vacationed in about 25 of them (which means that 15 overlap).
deanhills
OK, so this looks different from what I'd imagined a philly cheese steak sandwich to look like:

RosenCruz
Who has been to Hawaii? How is life in there ?
Blaster
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Philly International Airport (PHL). My boss is leaving 2 hours before me and we're driving together and so I'll have 2 hours to try and see if I can find a cheese steak in the airport. If not, I've been to Philly before (downtown classic tourist area) and I had a good sandwich (I asked my hotelier to give me directions to somewhere good) and so it isn't that urgent. Plus, we have big customers there and so this probably won't be my own trip there.

I can also cook up my own. I assume you just cook up some greasy meat with some melted cheese on a baguette.

deanhills wrote:
Did he do it as part of his work, or did he make a special effort to visit each and every one of them?

A little bit of both. He's probably worked in about 40 of them, vacationed in about 25 of them (which means that 15 overlap).

Well if you land at PHL and have a car I can tell you a great place to go. I don't know too well what kind of food is in the airport itself.

Little side fact for you most of PHL isn't actually in Philadelphia. Most of it is actually in Delaware County (which just so happens to be where I live)
chasbeen
One,
New York
playfungames
Zero Crying or Very sad

Never visited the states, don't even know whether I'd get a chance to visit it. Would love to, though.