FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the different between bandwidth and traffic?

darrell

Nowadays, i keep hearing people talk about bandwidth and traffic...

What is the difference between both?
moejoe
Nothing really...in a hosting point of view.

Bandwidth is how much mb pplz have downloaded off your site
while
Traffic is how much people have come to your site (depending on how much bandwidth [what they did etc]).

I've passed through my first 200mb bandwidth in less then 2 weeks. Very Happy Plenty more where that came from.
Mark999111
general rule: the more traffic, the more bandwidth is used.

Though with the amounts given by frihost; i doubt youll need to worry Very Happy
xuma
bandwith : is limiits of your traffic
lockwolf
Here is how I think of it

Traffic: Number of people visiting my site
Bandwith: The ammount of resources that is used by Traffic

The more Traffic, The more Bandwith. (Now only if my site got more traffic)
ocalhoun
Objectivly spaeking (not from a hosting point of view,)
Bandwidth describes the capacity for traffic flow.
Thoroghput describes how much of your bandwidth you are acutaly using.
FrightKnight
Bandwidth is the capacity / speed of you internet connection. The higher the bandwidth, the faster your connection is.

Traffic on the other hand is the amount of connections in a certain network. Like the number of people connected to a server. That's traffic.
ankitdatashn
Bandwidth and traffic both are technical words referring to characteristic of a site or server.

Bandwidth is the actual capacity of how much (traffic) a site or server can handle. Traffic can both be in number of people visiting the site or the amount of data exchanged on the website.
Wolf1918
Also, don't forget that your web site content also affects the amount of bandwidth used. The more 'splash' you have on your web site the more bandwidth gets sucked up downloading it to a visitor's computer.

In other words, all those pretty pictures, cute animations, super cool widgets, etc. all gulp bandwidth. That's why graphics programs usually have some type of "optimize for the web" selection for saving graphics. You can make a picture 'smaller' (making it both faster to load on your visitor's computer and using a bit less of your bandwidth) without necessarily reducing the picture's actual size by using Optimize for the Web.

A plain text page may use 5% (or less) of the bandwidth of a animation/graphics intensive page.

When ever possible I try to make my point on a web page with a different font size, color, bold, underline, bullets, etc. and by using text links in place of pretty buttons or roll overs.

Just my 2 cents, Cool
Chad
r4inm4ker
bandwidth :
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/images/WideRoad.jpg

traffic :
http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/aboutus/one_pagers/images/040_traffic_h.jpg
rvec
moved to Web Hosting Support

This move is part of rvec's big general chat cleanup
cr3ativ3
Coming from a networking background I would say Bandwidth is the speed at which pages/files can be downloaded/uploaded...

While Transfer is how much of that you have used in a period of time (how much mb in files have been downloaded/uploaded.)

Traffic is usually linked to the amount of visitors your site gets... Not a direct link to Bandwidth/Transfer.
vasi4
darrell wrote:

Nowadays, i keep hearing people talk about bandwidth and traffic...

What is the difference between both?

Hai darrel!
Bandwidth is the total uploading/downloading speed measures.Were as traffic is nothing but making our website a good page ranking in search engines and lot customer viewing of my website.For good bandwidth hosting plans and track traffic(by SEO) of your website you can get a service from the website www.thewebpole.com
tamilparks
lockwolf wrote:
Here is how I think of it

Traffic: Number of people visiting my site
Bandwith: The ammount of resources that is used by Traffic

The more Traffic, The more Bandwith. (Now only if my site got more traffic)
bruks
bandwidth - 1 Mb
traffic - 1 Hits