FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

THE HIGH PRICE OF ADSL. posted in parts

EVILSKAAP
TAKEN FROM THE PRETORIA NEWS:
Quote:
"Fly abroad for internet data, its cheaper than Telkom" - You could fly to Hong Kong and download 100GB of data for less than it costs to download the same amount using Telkoms ADSL service. Even taking the duration of the return flight into account you could be back in South Africa before you could complete such a download here.

In just 13 minutes for a cost of R17,43 ($2,60) the data could be downloaded in Hong Kong compared to a download time of 9,5 days and a cost of R9918,28 ($1480,34) with Telkoms ADSL. Total cost of flying to Hong Kong and downloading :R7959,43 ($1187,97).

Please post the prices that your isp charges you for bandwidth.

mod edit - part of post put in quote tags, assuming external source of origin.
SunburnedCactus
Please put everything in one post. Confused
Deji
EVILSKAAP: if you dont mind im gonna go PM one of the admins / mods since you are spamming.

have a nice day.
mOrpheuS
@EVILSKAAP, Please follow the section specific posting rules
And please don't split your thoughts just for creating multiple posts. It looks so much better together Wink

Now ontopic,
The bandwidth prices are amazingly high in the not-so-rich countries. known and accepted.
Perhaps they'd be lower if the multinational corporates start taking interest in the internet users of these places.

I don't know about South Africa, but here in India, the cost is mainly artificial...that is to say government imposed.
The authorities push up the last mile connectivity costs, and international connectivity is still 10-15 times more expensive than in the not-so-poor countries. (excluding USA ofcourse)
The lack of competition in acquiring international connectivity doesn't help either.

The end result ?
People like me "content" with 48 kbps/limited transfer when I could get 512 kbps/unlimited for the same price !
But that's just the way things are. Sad
EVILSKAAP
I was using a very outdated opera to post that, until a point it works fine, but it stops me from inputting more than a certain nuber of chars, thats the reason for it. IT HAS BEEN RESOLVED! ANYWAY Telkom is saying that they are not to blame but on the forums at myADSL.co.za they say that Telkom sells the bandwidth to ISPs(in 3GB packets), for them to sell back to consumers, but most only use 1GB so ISPs lose out on 2GB which drives up the costs, with Telkom smilling all the way to the bank!
Ressurrector
I use dsl extreme which is 300 k up and 3.0 megabytes per second down. It cost around 50 bucks a month or so. Sometimes I kinda think its futile to have a download speed that high and only see that kinda speed from corporate websites like download.com and other big names and NOT from things like your buddies on AIM or limewire or Edonkey.
burzum
i pay 40 Euro/month for a stupid 384/128 line and in greece this is considered cheap. lololololol Razz we are 10 years behind!
gonzo
Deji wrote:
EVILSKAAP: if you dont mind im gonna go PM one of the admins / mods since you are spamming.

have a nice day.

does being officious make you feel all warm and fuzzy?

I don't do xDSL. Do you still want to know my rate/cost?
EVILSKAAP
Hey, remember you do not need to subscribe to broadband to post here, even if you have dial-up or sat, even use gprs or umts, post it here, its just to compare or brag about(if very cheap)
Freezon
For $34.99 USD a month I get a whopping 768K Down/128K Up. Of course since I live in the country this is decent. Actually DSL was just introduced roughly 5 months ago here, before then dial-up was the only option.

As far as ridiculous pricing in other countries, it's true; less wealthly countries charge sky-high prices for services we have an abundance of.