FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to set authorisations -Windows sys / Apache webserver

-TomJ-
I am busy installing the TNG program that will allow me to create a dynamic website for displaying genealogical data. It uses php and mySql.

I want it to run on my Frihost space eventually, but for development I also want a copy on my local machine. Locally I have installed an Apache webwerver on my WinXP Pro platform. The instructions say that I need to set read/write authorisations for visitors to modify data. I have been able to do that on my Frihost webspace.

My question: how do I set those authorisations on my local machine?
mOrpheuS
Apparently, running Apache on windows, you'll not be able to define permissions as you would on a *nix system.
It can be done if Apache is running as a service (define permissions for the user account running Apache)
If you specifically need to deny permissions on particular folder, you can try doing it with the .htaccess file.

Or if you must use apache and specific permissions, run it on a linux machine. Confused
-TomJ-
Thx!

I will delve into the realms of the .htaccess file.
But I guess this is only a theoretical exercise, as I will be the only user on the local machine, and (Bill permitting) I am authorised to do it all.
And since the settings have been set on the Frihost directories, I assume that will work out fine.

Furhermore, I doubt if I ever will have time to get acquainted with *nix. I als have a wife, and kids, and work, and a social life, and but 25 hours in a day...
n0obie4life
You can't have .htaccess files on windows without doing a DOS command FYI.

I forgot what was the command. Google for it Wink
-TomJ-
n0obie4life wrote:

¿Que?
Why not?
The .htaccess file resides in my Apache directory, and I can edit it as any other file.
n0obie4life
You can't save a file (not edit then save) with a dot in front in Windows.

There's a few DOS commands to do it for ye.
mOrpheuS
-TomJ- wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

¿Que?
Why not?
The .htaccess file resides in my Apache directory, and I can edit it as any other file.

You probably have the file because you downloaded/extracted it from somewhere. You shouldn't be able to create a new file named .htaccess in Windoze because....well...there's no name ! only extension !
So...
-TomJ-
mOrpheuS wrote:
-TomJ- wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

¿Que?
Why not?

You probably have the file because you downloaded/extracted it from somewhere. You shouldn't be able to create a new file named .htaccess in Windoze because....well...there's no name ! only extension !
So...

I have been to ApacheFreinds to install the Apache webserver, php and mySql (as system services) in one go. The .htaccess file (and other files without a first name) were correctly installed in this process. You are right in so far that I did not create the file myself. But as it is there now, there is no problem editing it.