FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Installing windows on a new PC using Norton Ghost

kaysch
Today a friend of mine from Vietnam told me that in Vietnam it is fairly common to buy illegal CDs with lots of software on them which can then be used to set up a new PC. She said the advantage is that there is no need to go through all the installation routines like that, one just needs to use Ghost to copy the files to the new computer. She was not able to explain to me how it works, so that's why I am asking you guys here.

According to my basic understanding it's fine to make a backup from one harddisk to another one, but you cannot expect the new system to work properly if it is on an entirely different computer. My guess is that you can't just install software without running the necessary installation routines. But probably I am wrong here as she said it works. She said she will use the CD to set up an old laptop, using Windows XP.

Can you shed some light on how this works?
Marcuzzo
Ghost is a discontinued backup/clone tool just like clonezilla, it basically makes a copy of the entire volume/partition/disk whatever you specify. and then you can restore that copy to a machine with the Discs it created in the backup process.

paying for these illegal disks is crazy because I'm pretty sure that they have been modified and packed with malware. save the money and buy a real installation disk or go open source with any flavor of linux.

I'm not sure if they can do this without using cracks because of activation. you can perfectly create a clone of your own machine after windows is activated by keeping the activation files ( there were 2 files in XP for this if I remember correctly) but it will only work for the same hardware.

you can create your own unattended install for windows XP if you have some time, back in the day I used this guide to create my own automated installation disk for XP packed with a lot of applications, drivers, etc...
As time went by I moved to windows 7 and used MDT with WAIK and now with Windows 8 it's MDT and the ADK.

there are tools out there that claim to create a full installation for you but IMO the manual way is better because you learn a little bit about how windows works and is set up.

In the future I will most likely deploy my images over the network with a pxe boot image.

one of the perks of having an MSDN account Wink

just remember, if it's too good to be true it mostly isn't
kaysch
In Vietnam those disks just cost a few dong, less than 1 EUR. And her laptop currently does not work anymore due to some virus, so she can't use it to create the backup disk. I'm not involved, I just wonder how it works.

Anyway, my question was: how does the installation work (especially of the operating system, Win XP in this case) if you don't run the installation routines of the software packages?
rx9876
kaysch wrote:
In Vietnam those disks just cost a few dong, less than 1 EUR. And her laptop currently does not work anymore due to some virus, so she can't use it to create the backup disk. I'm not involved, I just wonder how it works.

Anyway, my question was: how does the installation work (especially of the operating system, Win XP in this case) if you don't run the installation routines of the software packages?

Actually, it is a common solution in bigger corporates.
The big company have hundreds computers, and their IT member don't have time to install one by one, so they will install a computer and make a image (maybe using ghost, and maybe not) as the default environment. All the rest computer are using the image to deploy.

How could they do this?
During windows installation, the computer installed the drivers of motherboard, CPU, and storage.
These drivers might not suit the hardware of another computer.
Before create the image, these drivers of the source computer have to be removed.
So the cloned computer will be clean and install the drivers suit its own hardware and avoid the crash during booting.

It's the concept, and there are several ways to implement.
You could google them if you are interested.