FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Family Feud Australia apologises for Sexism

Domikrohn
Just a couple days ago Australia's Channel 10 was in a lot of heat due to Family Feud Australia including a "Name a [gender]'s job." as part of their show. The answers were very stereotypical - mechanic or plumber for male, cooking or cleaning female.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-29639887
http://mashable.com/2014/10/15/family-feud-womans-job/

Quote:
The show asked contestants to guess what answer 100 people had given when told to name a woman's job.

In a scene not seen since the mid-century, the answer selections were limited to: cooking, cleaning, nursing, hairdressing, domestic duties, dishes, receptionist and washing clothes.

Some believe it is a publicity stunt, others believe it was fine and should just be ignored. Personally, I think someone has their head buried in the sand. Sexism is still extremely rampant, even in very public TV. Sexism has been fought against for ages now and is becoming a very widely discussed topic. It will be lively for decades past now. Do you see sexism becoming easier to control and dissipate, or are we still living under a rock?
standready
any publicity (positive or negative) is good publicity. Of course to me fireperson sounds like an arsonist instead of the person putting out the fire.
Maybe Blaster will comment on the gender correct term.
zuraguerra
I think it's more a generational problem now: kids now grow up with these anti-sexism campaigns, seeing women somewhat equally fullfilling roles that were for men. They won't be so critical about them.

It will end with time, I suppose.
Blaster
standready wrote:
any publicity (positive or negative) is good publicity. Of course to me fireperson sounds like an arsonist instead of the person putting out the fire.
Maybe Blaster will comment on the gender correct term.

No such thing as fireperson at least in the states.

A fireman was actually the guy who loaded coal into a locomotive engine for the rail road.

The correct term is firefighter.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
The correct term is firefighter.
Sounds right on! Cool

When I looked at it, at first glance I preferred the word as fighting fire to me is more like it. Then Googled it for the heck of it, and came up with this explanation - POLITICS!

Quote:
Due to rampant political correctness in the U.S. some words have become, well, politically incorrect.Emotion: sad

Pretty much any word that ends in "man" or "men" is verboten in the U.S. these days. Some examples:

Mailman/mailmen, fireman/firemen, policeman/policemen, congressman/congressmen, chairman/chairmen, well I'm sure you get the idea.

The politically correct versions of the above words are: Mail carrier, firefighter, police officer, congress person, and chair person.

By the way, "gentlewoman" is a special case. It's how Members of Congress refer to their female colleagues and generally shouldn't be used in any other context.

Source: https://www.englishforums.com/English/FiremanVsFirefighter/qmwmv/post.htm
Blaster
Some of that is BS. Its still Congressmen. Its still chairman. Still use the term mailman

Sadly the US is a politically correct country in some ways. Instead of accepting the word for what it is people complain and policy gets put in place.

You can use chair person or mail carrier. Thats not as weird as congress person.