FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bandwidth for Webserver.....

k_s_baskar
I am having a PIV system with 80GB HDD (sata), 1GB Ram n wish to load much bandwidth i need Linux apache and host n test a website in it. At present in my location i have Dial-up/ISDN/Leased line/Cable Which 1 will be right choice for me? Question
mOrpheuS
k_s_baskar wrote:
I am having a PIV system with 80GB HDD (sata), 1GB Ram n wish to load much bandwidth i need Linux apache and host n test a website in it. At present in my location i have Dial-up/ISDN/Leased line/Cable Which 1 will be right choice for me? Question

If I understood you correct, you want to run your own webserver ?

Software you need - a webserver (apache, IIS are common)
Hardware - what you have is more than sufficient
Connection - dial-up will work...but only at that speed. So it's not really a web-server, it's a black-hole. Laughing
cable probably won't work, the resellers usually employ NAT with strict firewalling of incoming connections.
ISDN and Leased line both should be good options.
technology.sponge
it is possible to host using dial up but the upload speed is pathetic - 1 kb
depending what type of cable ther e is in your hoime country, it might b a good option (DOCSIS 2.0?)

as morpheus sed, its prolly best to use isdn or leased line
k_s_baskar
Thanks for u'r advice technology.sponge n mOrpheuS i have one more doubt. i did't get any ip address from my isp. i already registered the domain n with a ICANN Registrar. Even i have control panel to create name servers for my domain. But my problem is i don't no how to get ip address for my server. can u help in this matter. (I am new to this field. So please forgive me if i posted anything crzy) Smile
mOrpheuS
http://www.whatismyip.com will show you your external IP address.
If your ISP allows for incoming connections, this will be the IP address for your webserver.

p.s. - If you have a slow connection like a gprs (airtel ?) or dial-up, you may not want to host your site on it.
Especially as you have already registered your domain name, I'll advise you to host it with a dedicated host like FRIHost (here you are !) instead of a home pc.
k_s_baskar
One again thankq Mr.mOrpheuS for u'r value suggestion.
mark
I suggest cable.
grantmaster
some cable and DSL plans offer static IP addresses, and sometimes they don't even want extra $$$. You may want your connection to be provisioned differently though. example; Standard cable provisioning could be 128 outbound/ 384 inbound. To give your clients a faster page load you could ask your ISP to change it to 256 / 256...
grantmaster
The leased line is T1? If so then you probably have an IP address, but someone is going to need to set-up your (Cisco) router to allow incoming traffic. If you do it like this you will also probably want to set it up in a DMZ, to keep people out of your internal network....
boringest
use zoneedit.com to route your domain name to your dynamic ip for free. Alternatively, purchase a static ip from your isp and that would be easier.
AsadAnsari
Is it Posible to host your website from your home's hard-disk ?

I knew it is but How ..

Tell me the method to redirect domain to the path of directory
Where should i create and setup the directory..

I have a broadband DSL connection 1Mbps with 128/32 kbps download/upload.
FunDa
Some Internet rvice providers will block you if you try to host a webserver from your computer.

Make sure your ISP will not do that.

Hosting a webserver on your computer is a very very cost--effective solution for those who have a relatively unlimited net connection and a stable desktop computer.

Any changes you want to make in the website can be done and tested easily.

And we can understand the inner workings of webservers very clearly.

Do some PHP and ajax programming tutorials, and u can do well.