FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Homework Sucks

lockwolf
For the past 3 hours, I have been working on the same assignment about My Dream PC for tech class. I'm cool with the assignment but I really dont think homwork should take this long (Even though I do keep getting distracted and coming here), Does anyone think that teachers should assign less homwork?
EVILSKAAP
At the moment i dont have that problem, because we are writing exams and get to stay at home when not writing. My next subject i write is chemistry on friday. WISH ME LUCK!
SunburnedCactus
Just wait until you get to university. It takes homework to a whole new level!
rhys925
dont get me started on homework

im in the academic extension program at my High school and i get at least 3 hours of homework each night (except thursday) and can you believe that they still expect me to study for at least 2 hours a night

i have 1 teacher (maths) that gives us year 11 homewrok (im only year 9)
not to mention that he down right hates me
every time he lectures the class he alwayys stares at me the whole time (i think hes in love with me or something)

but other then this teacher most of the homework i get is easy and relatively enjoyable
except science which is just plain boring
darrell
it is just something for you to practice on... may be tiring... but when done, the satisfaction is there and you will understand better
moejoe
Yer, and yet its forums like these that distract us from the really important stuff...we salute u.
neosree
Me too agree. Rolling Eyes
Mark999111
Homework sucks! Though at my school we dont get too much, even tho its a grammar. Any homeworks we get are quite large (or coursework this year) which is better i supose than getting tonnes of crappy little homeworks that take ages and go nowhere.
BigBoss
SunburnedCactus wrote:

I went to the University of Texas and, surprisingly, I almost never got homework in any of my classes. Basically the professors left it up to the students to study the material on their own. All they graded were 4 tests (one at the end of every quarter of the semester). I prefer this method of grading over the homework method becuase this way lets you learn at the pace you feel most comfortable with and prevents classes from becoming a chore and, instead, makes them a less stressful experiance.
xorcist
I barely get homework in school, When I get homework its barely nothing. It all depends on what grade you are in how much homwork you get, I'm in 11th grade and barely get anything.
SunburnedCactus
I'm doing an electronic engineering degree and usually get between 15-20 hours of work outside lectures to do each week.

Believe me, it's fun alright. Sad
deca
Our school has block sheduling. (90 minute classes - no class is longer than 1 semester) It is supposed to reduce the amount of homework you get because you only have 4 classes a day rather than the usualy 8. Teachers say they don't give double the homework to make up for the 4 missing classes, but they do give double homework.

I am always a bit anxious to finish so I can go do something more fun on my computer. The only class I don't mind doing homework for is computer.
lockwolf
At 2am PST I finished my homework and went to bed. Its crazy but true! It took me 4 hours to do 2 assignments. I think I'll try and get my GED at 14 and move on to college Laughing

deca wrote:
Our school has block sheduling. (90 minute classes - no class is longer than 1 semester) It is supposed to reduce the amount of homework you get because you only have 4 classes a day rather than the usualy 8. Teachers say they don't give double the homework to make up for the 4 missing classes, but they do give double homework.

I am always a big anxious to finish so I can go do something more fun on my computer. The only class I don't mind doing homework for is computer.

Dude, I have a simular schedule. Right now I am in the middle of science class and I'm finished with all my work and have been done for about a half hour. I have no homework that I can currently be working on so I get to sit and view message boards like this Smile
deca
lockwolf wrote:
At 2am PST I finished my homework and went to bed. Its crazy but true! It took me 4 hours to do 2 assignments. I think I'll try and get my GED at 14 and move on to college Laughing

deca wrote:

I am always a big anxious to finish so I can go do something more fun on my computer. The only class I don't mind doing homework for is computer.

Dude, I have a simular schedule. Right now I am in the middle of science class and I'm finished with all my work and have been done for about a half hour. I have no homework that I can currently be working on so I get to sit and view message boards like this Smile

I wish I could play around on my computer, but our teachers keep us occupied until the end of class!
JessieF
Luckily, I have some free time at the end of class in some of them, but there will never be free time in my algebra class, or english class. I don't like spanish class, and my school only offers spanish. I wanted to learn french or german. Some say it's harder, but I am not interested in spanish.
Nameless
Homework is a valuable part of learning. It's not just the work that's important, but learning the responsibility to do it in your own time.
meretyping
i hate homework too. i personally think school should just be longer, and then we could use our own time as we wanted. that would also make sure you paid at least some attention to the work because somebody would be watching to make sure you did it. and you would be guided by a teacher so you wouldn't do a whole assignment wrong and learn nothing and be confused the next day (so the teacher wouldn't have to teach you twice). like tutoring, only more mainstream.
FlOw
rhys925 wrote:

im in the academic extension program at my High school and i get at least 3 hours of homework each night (except thursday) and can you believe that they still expect me to study for at least 2 hours a night

every time he lectures the class he alwayys stares at me the whole time (i think hes in love with me or something)

but other then this teacher most of the homework i get is easy and relatively enjoyable

LOL I guess you don't score high in English Laughing
fireyemtgirl
College sucks so much more than High school as far as homework goes. Not only do you have more work, but since your professors don't TEACH you, they "profess their knowledge to you". SO you basically have to learn everything on your own time, which is in essence, just assigning more work to yourself on top of everything.
mark
Oh yes, I agree. I have heard that in Australia, homework is going to be minimised to an hour a week soon. I'm just waiting to find out if its true.
Davidgr1200
Why do you do the homework? If you just want to be a cashier in a supermarket it's irrelevant anyway. However, if you want to be a scientist or a programmer then you will have to get used to homework. Most jobs that are fun require you to do a lot of your work outside of working hours. Try making the homework fun, and do the homework BEFORE you start logging on to this site.
CamiBor
lockwolf wrote:
For the past 3 hours, I have been working on the same assignment about My Dream PC for tech class. I'm cool with the assignment but I really dont think homwork should take this long (Even though I do keep getting distracted and coming here), Does anyone think that teachers should assign less homwork?
i so agree with u! i think homework is important but 3 hours is too much!
Delta
I hate homework. I think theachers give too much, and that the books are WAYYY to heavy :evil:. Well, I would like to post more, but school is starting now!
FrightKnight
I never had problems with homework in my entire student life. I was in first grade when I experience doing a homework for almost 6 hours. I found my self crying because I really wanted to go to sleep that time 'cause it's late already but I have to finish my homework. It's strange but I didn't feel bad about having that homework, it's just I wanted to sleep. LoL.

Anyway, aside from that experience, I never had a single homework problem even if sometime in college, I only have 2 hours of sleep for almost 8 months doing homeworks.

Cheers.
Zombie
Yes, homework does suck, but studying is worse. I've got to study over 20 chapters of material before finals.
sondosia
Haha, I'm graduating from high school in four days, which means...no homework for three months! Until college. =)
Melacos
Haha, I'm so much agreeing with the 'wait till you get to uni' replies. By then (if you choose to go there at all) you should have turned your whole idea of 'hating homework' into 'my favorite hobby'. I'm kinda serious about it actually, as it definitely gets you half the way, just being dedicated or at least interested in whatever course you're in/have chosen.
goutha
I looooove homeworks Laughing
snowboardalliance
BigBoss wrote:
SunburnedCactus wrote:

I went to the University of Texas and, surprisingly, I almost never got homework in any of my classes. Basically the professors left it up to the students to study the material on their own. All they graded were 4 tests (one at the end of every quarter of the semester). I prefer this method of grading over the homework method becuase this way lets you learn at the pace you feel most comfortable with and prevents classes from becoming a chore and, instead, makes them a less stressful experiance.

I would say studying is homework. Sure there's very few graded assignments (mostly tests and papers), but you still have tons of work to do. Unless you have easy classes. My last semester was a breeze but I'm going to be working hard this coming year.
Vrythramax
I agree that homework is a pain. I'm still trying to figure out why this topic was brought back from the dead after almost 4 years of inactivity.
Afaceinthematrix
For everyone that was complaining, I have one thing to say to you: suck it up and get used to it! Homework doesn't go away until you finish school, and then you have work. Or even worse, you'll have work and homework. If you go to a university and major in a mathematics or science field (and not a leisure studies field), you'll expect several hours of homework every night on top of a part time job that you'll probably have in order to pay for your school. On top of homework, work, and classes, I can often expect 16 hour days.
spring567
It is good for you . You should try to finish it as soon as possible.
ankitdatashn
It depends, I we take interest in homework then it doesnt suck but kinda entertains us, Ya doing monotonous work sucks, but again it depends from person to person...
guissmo
That's too much homework. I think one hour should be a good timespan for all homeworks of a student in a day.
Mrs Lycos
Well yeah but in my school its not that much homework its more that u do your homework in school couse its more fast and in house you have to study like hell couse we have like 5 test for week ^^
Well i think just me couse i got sick and had to do the exams i didnt did XD
mattyj
I did a degree in Applied Science - had about 34 contact hours per week with Lectures/Tutes/Pracs + around 30 hours a week outside of that with work at home (reports, study, etc)...So a 3 hour assignment is nothing and stop complaining
Fanghai
someitmes hw doesnt suck you know? i got an assignment once where it was like build your own marble run out of useless junk. that wasnt a bad assignment cuz you feel like you're playing with legos. also the assignment of building a bridge out of popsicle sticks such that your professor have to be able to walk across it. that was pretty fun. but generally, i do agree that hw sucks.
deanhills
If you can make it fun, maybe it would be easier to do it without feeling that it is a chore. Pretend as though it is not imposed on you, but that you are curious about it, and if it is math, see it as a challenge and accept you have to struggle with it to make it perfect. If you struggle too much and do not understand what is going on, don't give up, try and find someone who can help you. I wish they could take the homework out of the learning, and maybe recreate it into something that says practice, explore, learn, enjoy .... along those lines ... Smile
standready
Nameless wrote:
Homework is a valuable part of learning. It's not just the work that's important, but learning the responsibility to do it in your own time.

I agree 100%! As ready said, wait until you get into university, then YIKES! Even my full time job kinda requires homework. Going through trade magazines and searching the internet to keep up with the lastest components and new configurations.
ankitdatashn
Vrythramax wrote:
I agree that homework is a pain. I'm still trying to figure out why this topic was brought back from the dead after almost 4 years of inactivity.

yaah quite funny and interesting fact, thats why we have archives, nobody knows what people like at any moment.

now talking about the topic I think homework might be a pain but going by my experience that tells me that pain makes a person stronger and so does homework. I pains but it certainly gives gains too!, just think about it.
desonium
Interesting that you think homework makes you a better person. I have never looked to making homework that way.
My opinion is that homework is sometimes too much to cope, because the theachers only think about their class and they sometimes forget that other teachers also gives homework.
So a little homework is good, but it should not be too much.
tony
Sorry I have to partially disagree: I think the idea of homework is not entirely poor - it's got its value in letting the teacher teach material outside of class. But I do think it should always be optional- that way if the student already knows the material he/she does not need to spend/waste the extra time on it at home.

just my idea - what are other peoples' plans??
tchaunt
I agree with Tony. With me, I am an "Honor's Student". In other words, I have a 4.0 on my report card every time it comes home. I always participate the most in my classes out of any students. Then the end of the period comes and the class gets assigned the homework. Due to my participation, I already know all of the content learned that day. The next day rolls around, and it turns out, I'm the only kid who has either, one: done the homework correctly, or two: done it at all. Don't get me wrong, I know homework helps you learn and/or remember the content from the day better, but it is fairly useless to anyone who actually needs it (since they won't try to learn enough in class to do the simple assignment). That's just my two cents on the whole thing, though.

Don't 'cha just love how some topics magically appear in the "new posts" section after so many years of being in the dark, dusty corners of the internet? xD
hamza1122
yeah. i reckon we should hav less homework more tests. more tests coz you don't need to study that much fun, you can cheat and yea.

Good luck wit ur assignment.
chatrack
Home work keep you in track
sondosia
What bothers me about homework isn't how long it takes but how pointless it often is. Sometimes homework takes a long time because it's trying to teach you something difficult, or because you have to do something carefully and it takes a while. But sometimes, it takes a long time because the teacher was too lazy to come up with a meaningful assignment and instead gave you a bunch of rote to do. THAT is what really gets on my nerves, and should stop.
Arty
I only hate the pointless homework that the teachers come up with when they can't think of any real assignments for their students.

For example, your's: "My dream PC"?
Jupis
don't worry even years after you finish school, you'll still wake up scared that you have a report due tomorrow.

That never seems to go away.
guth75
I agree, but for me, homework gets done fast. I do get distracted, but not normally until I am almost done.
Silayon
In my opinion, homework isn't really doing me much good. It usually just cause me stress, and I'd rather study about a subject rather than writing an assignment...
Jamestf347

it's because you're in advanced classes ... dont expect to get easy work in life especially since, they are advanced...
ortphysics
I believe homework should be given only in order to understand the material. You really shouldn't do the same assignment for 3 hours, as you described. I believe that teachers should try giving an interesting assignment that you can learn from, rather than giving an assignment that's huge in it's volume and is quite repetitive (i.e. math homework).
spring567
It's good to you.
carlospro7
Sometimes depending on the assignment, it makes sense to have long homework assignments, but other times it just sucks. Like when I have to write a paper about something completely unrelated to my major, but have to do it because it's a "requirement," so it takes me longer because it's a subject I don't care about, and I have no experience with it. If you are all about computers, can you imagine writing a paper on Peking Opera? not to say that it wasn't interesting, in fact it was really cool, but I remember being really frustrated about the time it took me, when I had more important projects due.
hamza1122
true. but i think that i would rather do homework than do assignments. Assignments sux heaps! The older you get, the more you get, the more you hate them.
Bluedoll
Please do this assignment, read the following material . . . by Bluedoll

I don't see a difference between assignments and homework but group it together as stuff to do. An assignment is just another word that means homework to me. Ok, the similarity is you can not find the time to complete it in class. Teachers can even enforce that. Have you ever worked on your homework in class and been told to just stop that this instant to participate in classroom activities? You will be told homework is for home, not for class.

Have you ever skipped a class to do your assignment because that was the only time you had? You can always tell your teacher you have a busy life style and can not fit the homework in but that usually does not stop the assignment from existing.

On the other side of the coin, if you are interested in something you will find the time somehow and want to do your assignments. So that is the bottom line really on assignments. Are you interested in the subject (i.e.: teacher) or not? If not, what is the price you will pay by dropping that subject and focusing on your elective?

If you have only one choice then it is pretty much their way or the highway. Who really wants to drop out of school, in some cases if you are young fight constantly with their parents and if in that position be stupidly stubborn?

The answer is only those that have a better alternative, a more enthusiastic subject, an enlightening interest and a much cooler future. If that is not the situation, we have to pretty much do what is being dished out, follow the program and secretly complain about it.
Ghost900
Well to tell you the truth, I think for a full time student going to Collage I can say that they give way to much homework. I used to be a PC Gamer until I went to Collage. Smile (Ok I still play a little but not anything close to what I should be.)

Some classes give a lot more than others. A few classes have little to no homework and that allows me to focus on the classes that dump it on me.
ankitdatashn
agree, but H.W. should not also be taken too casually for it helps one develop into an individual and not spoon feeded.
saratdear
I hate homework. It will never really be on something I enjoy doing, and even if it is, I will be too tired to try doing it on my own and will copy from someone else. Smile
TurtleShell
Yes, they should assign that much work. You'll be grateful for the juggling experience later on in life. It helps you to develop a good work ethic too.
rockacola
TurtleShell wrote:
Yes, they should assign that much work. You'll be grateful for the juggling experience later on in life. It helps you to develop a good work ethic too.

Ditto. Lack of participating in doing homework and assignment in high school and uni make me not as good as I wanted to be... Sad

Kids whining about homework will be people whining about dietary, financial freedom and such. Twisted Evil
ProfessorY91
I have the perspective of both giving homework and doing homework. When I assign homework, it is specifically to prepare students for upcoming examinations, to learn the material that is required for the course, and to assess their ability to think critically (as that is the only real benefit of college-level homework). I do not believe that doing homework consistently will help you develop a greater work ethic, just because each student can and will form their own opinion about doing the work; some will hate it for as long as they do it, during high school, and during college when they have the freedom not to perform at the same level (as everyone is typically under only their own drive and self set goals in college). Some will like to do the work, the consistency of the routine work, and the opportunities to expand their knowledge by revisiting familiar information more than once per day.

However, I wish to inform you that the teacher doesn't think or care jack shit about you when you're in college. The homework is designed to give you a better understanding of how to go about getting good grades on the timed assessments (i.e. tests, exams, quizzes, finals, essays). Nothing more, and nothing less. If you do the work, you will perform better when you are assessed.

I could go on and on about it, but in truth, you're just a number in most colleges anyways. Unless you make a name for yourself, whether or not you do your homework is entirely your own affair. Some people in this thread act like complaining about their workload will actually cause changes, which it won't. Thus the only thing debatable is whether or not you do the work. That's your choice. Most of us on here don't care whether you do or not. One thing is for certain though, if you are out to become someone in life, doing homework isn't going to help or hurt you.

The Professor.
supernova1987a
Homeworks are really important in understanding the chapter you are reading. I t depends on the individual if he wants to or does not want to do the homework. If your goal is to finish studies soon then forget all other things that can distract you, have good time management, use planners, and do your Homework!!

If you do not plan everything then homeworks can be headache. Wink
soljarag
In highschool I used to hate homework, and didn't understand that doing homework helped you on tests. In math I would just do the assigned problems and not study for the tests. But once i went to college i realized I should do more problems than what was assigned.

enjoy school while you can Smile just wait until you get a REAL job and have the pressure to do work that really matters
Dark_merlin
Last night i had less than an hour to do a 1500 word essay for english. Needless to say, over 90% of our class hadn't finished it. I think sometimes teachers do go a bit over the top with homework, but its essentially for our benefit at the end of the day.
Greatking
it sure does sometimes. but its fun when u get to do group study and then complete home work. i like to get it over with so it does not cramp my style.
guissmo
I've also gave and received homework.

As a student, I'm okay with homework. It's just a way to check if you understood the lessons or open you to different applications of the lesson. It doesn't take up too much of your grade and it usually can be done in a few minutes. An hour, tops. I mean, if you don't really want to learn a lot, then don't do your homework. Your grades will go lower, but I mean one deserves it.

As a teacher, I give homework to make students do the Math problems again and again, so that whenever the exam starts, they'll be prepared. Most examples in class are given right after the lessons have been discussed. After that specific subject, the next teacher arrives with a different lesson and often causes students to forget. So, in a way, this is the teacher's way of saying, "Hey, remember this".
Dean_The_Great
Vrythramax wrote:

After four years I'd be very curious as to what the guy wrote for his "Dream PC". Probably not that great anymore.
ProfessorY91
I'm trying to figure out why I'm following a thread that should have been dead the second that it started. Jeez. As for homework, there's a damn good reason for it - it, just like all "reasons" doesn't apply to everyone though. People learn differently. Deal with it. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be assigned.
marian33
lockwolf wrote:

For me, homework is not by definition a bad thing. Too much homework that is not valuable to student learning and is given at too early an age is a bad thing. Whether the homework dilemma is ever resolved, only time will tell.
jigoku05
just wait till the HOME in homework is gone.
ricalyn03
lockwolf wrote:

In doing a homework, you will finish it as soon as you have started it even if you are destructed by anything else. As long as you understand what was your homework is. Good luck!