FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Muslim Extremists

coolclay
Who is to blame for the proliferation of Muslim extremists that the middle east is currently suffering from?

One side of me blames the west because of our heavy handed tactics in the area, and providing billions of dollars in weaponry to people we can't trust. For all intensive purposes the US has had a major role in providing weaponry (purposefully or not) to ISIS (or ISIL), the Taliban, and many other terrorist organizations.

How far are we willing to go. It seems at this point is a lose lose situation. We either sit on or hands and let them murder, rape, and destroy, or we fight them and end up creating situations in which they get more recruits.

It's really a vicious cycle that I think can only be solved by getting to the root cause, and that is anger over the negative impacts we have on the area.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
One side of me blames the west because of our heavy handed tactics in the area, and providing billions of dollars in weaponry to people we can't trust. For all intensive purposes the US has had a major role in providing weaponry (purposefully or not) to ISIS (or ISIL), the Taliban, and many other terrorist organizations.
It could be a mistake to try and analyze it from a Western solidarity point of view. I think it is very simple, people trying to get rid of oppression and archaic despotism. Middle East countries are relatively new, and most of them consist of a great number of tribes that are in a continuous state of struggle with one another. "Success" to keep it all together has depended in a large way on one "tribe" oppressing/managing/coercing/manipulting all of the others. Get rid of that tribe, such as had happened with the help of the West in Iraq, then everything else caves in. Having said that, if the West hadn't done it, someone from Iraq would eventually have sorted out Saddam. Egypt is different as it has more of a homogeneous society. Which makes it all that surprising that it allowed itself to be a dictatorship for so long. Or maybe it has more of a lazy citizenship politically that can never be satisfied as they may have the view that Government has to provide everything, including peace. Instead of the other way round. In Syria there was also a classic case of a very small "elite" group dominating the rest. I'm almost certain the US has stirred up things as well in Syria but for me it had the effect of expediting things. Without the US I'm almost certain it would have happened any way.

What is very alarming though are the Muslim extremists inside Western countries. Like in the UK and Australia. Theirs is a totally different kind of struggle. Different generation of Western Muslims taking their revenge on Western society? Guess the West has to take responsibility for them. Just don't know how they should deal with them though. As I'm not all together comfortable with the door to door searches that happened in Australia. And probably in the UK too. That we know off. Government would like any excuse "in the interest of public safety" to get us to surrender more of our liberties. I don't feel at ease about this part of the increasing Muslim extremism.
Marcuzzo
I've recently watched this video and it does raise a few questions.

this video is anti-propaganda, no doubt about it, and I personally think it's a little exaggerated.
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
this video is anti-propaganda, no doubt about it, and I personally think it's a little exaggerated.
Great video! Must say I just can't believe anything that I see or hear in the press and media any longer. Particularly the news reporting surrounding the downing of the Malaysian Airlines in Ukraine. We may think that some of the propaganda in Russia is farfetched, but who is to say that ours isn't farfetched?
kaysch
The point here is probably that sending weapons to a war area is not a good idea. On the other hand, the IS already have pretty good weapons, and they are the last ones we want to see rule that region.

With regards to US interests: In 2014 there has been a big discussion about the relationship between Germany and the USA in the German media. Over the past months it has slowed down a lot. During that press campaign the USA have been blamed to spy on Ms Merkel's mobile phone, only to find out later that German secret intelligence did the same with Turkish government officials. The whole discussion left me completely dazzled. Why would intelligence agencies launch their findings over the press?
Da Rossa
Did they actually launch it to the press or was it a leakage? If not, I'd ask the very same question. Snowden going public with his revelations doesn't mean 'the US' has revealed spy plots to the media, for instance.
cpatnaik
Till there is oil in Arabia, there will always be strife. The western powers depend on it to keep the different kingdom and despots in check.
DesquisiadoMoral
It's hard to decide what we need to do for every country implicated!!!
Extremist may attack us Mad becasuse are expanded in almost whole world.
Not all Muslims are extremists so we don't have to judge them.
Da Rossa
No, actually only a few are extremists. The problem is that the whole damage is done by them. The peaceful majority does nothing. They should expunge the violent ones... if that was even possible.
kaysch
Da Rossa wrote:
No, actually only a few are extremists. The problem is that the whole damage is done by them. The peaceful majority does nothing. They should expunge the violent ones... if that was even possible.

And that seems to happen right now: Jordan intervenes in Syria, Iran is present in Iraq, Egypt tries to do something in Libya and Tchad, Niger and Cameroon are fighting in Nigeria. I hope they will succeed. I am not sure how much the USA is involved in all that, but at least they are not as present anymore as in past wars.
Da Rossa
I guess they can't be everywhere at a time, nor they would want to?
But I wonder: what interest would the US have in Nigeria, Niger and Cameroon right now?
kaysch
Da Rossa wrote:
what interest would the US have in Nigeria, Niger and Cameroon right now?

None it seems as they decided not to get involved there.
deanhills
kaysch wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:
what interest would the US have in Nigeria, Niger and Cameroon right now?

None it seems as they decided not to get involved there.
True. They also stopped importing oil and gas from Nigeria with effect of last year. Coincidentally just before the abduction of the girls. Total coincidence of course. US seems to be increasing its local oil production and importing less from other countries.
coolclay
Maybe if we decreased our consumption we could actually sell it to other countries. Too bad exporting US crude is illegal. Either way it's really good news that other Islamic countries are joining in the fight against extremism. I think they finally see it as a threat, particularly the concept of a caliphate!