FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Anyone using DuckDuckGo ?





RosenCruz
DuckDuckGo is a search engine that focuses on privacy

They claim Smarter Search, Less Clutter and Real Privacy

Code:
DuckDuckGo has everything you expect a search engine to have, including images, news and places, all while respecting your privacy. Great results without tracking you. That's DuckDuckGo in a nutshell.


I seldom use them. But thougt I should spread the word about em

https://duckduckgo.com/
Ankhanu
DuckDuckGo is the default search engine for several Linux distros, so I've used it a bit, but invariably end up switching back to Google... particularly when I end up installing Chrome or Chromium as a browser Razz
Simonjw
I like the search engine because of it's ability of 100% private searching with absolutely no tracking. It definitely has it's place in the world if you're trying to hide something, but there is also a big place for your normal web browsers as they can bring some cool things into your life with cookies Smile. This is especially when you shop as you might come over some good bargains or even a new form of product you might not have found otherwise.

As said, the go to browser of today is between Google Chrome and FireFox because they have a good experience, but for the best experience I have witnessed with private searching is with the Tor Browser, which is actually based on Chrome to some extent. It's worth the try out...

Cheers
SonLight
Aside from the privacy, I find ddg often gives somewhat more targeted search results. Generally it rejects the big lists of things that often give false hits. When I'm looking for a hard-to-find item though, I often add !g to my search (which searches on google) because sometimes the only matches are on pages that ddg considers unlikely to be meaningful.
Simonjw
SonLight wrote:
Aside from the privacy, I find ddg often gives somewhat more targeted search results. Generally it rejects the big lists of things that often give false hits. When I'm looking for a hard-to-find item though, I often add !g to my search (which searches on google) because sometimes the only matches are on pages that ddg considers unlikely to be meaningful.


That's actually quite true and it is because of the private browsing per say. Google omits certain results due to laws used in the country you reside and thus does not allow you to see some hidden gems that are actually indexed on the search engine. DDG for instance bypasses that with their search algorithm as well as when Google is searched through them. The reason for this is because they use Google's API and therefore no laws have to be adhered by per say due to the nature of being in the "cloud".

Good observation though Smile
LonnieHoover
I haven't used it before and never heard this name even Shocked Rolling Eyes
Simonjw
LonnieHoover wrote:
I haven't used it before and never heard this name even Shocked Rolling Eyes


Well it is worth a look if you like to keep yourself private while being online. Also Tor Broswer made by The Pirate Bay is good for the same thing, but whether you feel you want to download an extra browser or just be serious incognito within the browser you have already, then then choice is yours Smile

Hope you have happy times with either Smile
LonnieHoover
Simonjw wrote:
LonnieHoover wrote:
I haven't used it before and never heard this name even Shocked Rolling Eyes


Well it is worth a look if you like to keep yourself private while being online. Also Tor Broswer made by The Pirate Bay is good for the same thing, but whether you feel you want to download an extra browser or just be serious incognito within the browser you have already, then then choice is yours Smile

Hope you have happy times with either Smile

Now this sounds great... i will definitely look at this search engine for sure.
shumicpi
I am not using it yet but now thinking of using it for a change!
cybersa
RosenCruz wrote:
DuckDuckGo is a search engine that focuses on privacy

They claim Smarter Search, Less Clutter and Real Privacy

Code:
DuckDuckGo has everything you expect a search engine to have, including images, news and places, all while respecting your privacy. Great results without tracking you. That's DuckDuckGo in a nutshell.


I seldom use them. But thougt I should spread the word about em

https://duckduckgo.com/


Last week i have heard about his new search engine through new Firefox Version changelog video.

It looks good.
We can try.
cps31
cybersa wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
DuckDuckGo is a search engine that focuses on privacy

They claim Smarter Search, Less Clutter and Real Privacy

Code:
DuckDuckGo has everything you expect a search engine to have, including images, news and places, all while respecting your privacy. Great results without tracking you. That's DuckDuckGo in a nutshell.


I seldom use them. But thougt I should spread the word about em

https://duckduckgo.com/


Last week i have heard about his new search engine through new Firefox Version changelog video.

It looks good.
We can try.

Me also thinking of using it. As Google is changing its algorithm very frequently, we need an alternative search engine very soon.
deanhills
I tried duckduckgo a few years ago (time really flies). I probably should try them again. At the time when I tried, I wasn't completely happy with the search results I was getting in comparison with Google. Doesn't mean Google is great, more like Google is better than duckduckgo, also much more available, particularly for lazy people like me. Razz
SonLight
Depending on the search terms, ddg may give you less false hits (they seem to not like long lists of things as well as google). It is frequently necessary to search again with google if there are no or too few hits, in which case be prepared to dig through some noise to find what you want.

Originally, ddg had a one-click option to "try search on google", but as they became more popular they removed it. Now you have to add a "!g " at the front of your search string to use google. A "!n" search currently pulls up google news, and I think !i is images -- I'm not sure about videos and such -- maybe !v?
zarawatsonn
I used it some time before, but to be honest i not found it useful as compared to the google search engine. Now i am using google to search my queries.
Josso
I use their XMPP service, which for the most part is pretty reliable
SpaceInvader75
I use Duck Duck Go with SeaMonkey because it is the default search engine. SeaMonkey came installed on my LXLE Linux. I wouldn't say that I like it better than google, but it seems to work ok, and I just started doing some research on online privacy (while discussing PC security in my blog). In my opinion, we should be concerned about the lack of online privacy. So I should probably use Duck Duck Go more often, or even Tor browser, as was suggested earlier.

People commonly say "If you have nothing to hide you don't have to worry about your lack of online privacy" but I disagree. First, in order to make that statement you would have to assume you trust your government (and additionally corporations value money over your privacy) 100%. And because of Snowden and other whistle blowers, we have every reason not to trust them, because they have been exposed lying to the public and telling us they were not spying on us. Anyway, maybe this is better left for a political discussion, but I certainly see the place for software that increases our privacy.
PwnArt1st
I used to use duckduckgo as I dont like the idea of an entity holding every search I ever make and every link I ever click, and duckduckgo doesnt do that. I have since moved on to searx, which is a hackable metasearch engine that collates data from various other engines and displays them as a unified result to the user, proxying every search request through the server so that the engines receive nothing. It runs on python, and you can use a public instance such as searx.me, or you can host your own as I am.
cps31
I dont know but till now I am only using Google for all kinds of searching. Never think about using other one yet!
cps31
RosenCruz wrote:
DuckDuckGo is a search engine that focuses on privacy

They claim Smarter Search, Less Clutter and Real Privacy

Code:
DuckDuckGo has everything you expect a search engine to have, including images, news and places, all while respecting your privacy. Great results without tracking you. That's DuckDuckGo in a nutshell.


I seldom use them. But thougt I should spread the word about em

https://duckduckgo.com/

Yeah I guess its the case for all as well. Thank you for the info by the way.
VladimirIsayev
I always use it with Tor Browser.
muthu32
I love to use duckduckgo But this search engine uses Yahoo as partner for dns server for speed of their website.
Eventhough, Google is faster than both yahoo & duckduckgo. Duckduckgo is slow(loading) in my country(India).
Related topics
Do you use a CMS script?
Spoofing in Mozilla ( FireFox) browser flaw
Site Nav Suggestions...
Me and my babys website
Anyone using PHPBB 2.0.17 and wanting to keep it compliant
Anyone using Autonomy ?
Anyone using LANDesk ?
Anyone Using Simple PHP Blog
Using SharpDevelop
Anyone using Aptana IDE for Ajax?
HTML-Kit Tools for Windows. Anyone using it?
People cant sign up for my site using hotmail
Anyone using Windows Power Shell?
HTML Kit Tools, anyone using?
Anyone using Web Open Font Format?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Webmaster and Internet -> SEO and Search Engines

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.