FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Prizes and tournaments

Drayk
The overall idea is that frihost organises a contest, people pay to enter, and the winner gets a prize.

Frihost picks a tournament theme, perhaps a war on counterstrike, perhaps a nice piece of code that frihost can use to improve their site, or perhaps a competition for the best designed website.

Frihost then gets people interested by putting a small banner at the top of the pages in the forum. People click, and find out the rules. In order to enter, the potential competitor pays some points and frih$, perhaps.

Frihost hosts/judges the contest, and the winner gets some new hardware, a new game or program, or better yet, an upgrade of their size limit and bandwidth on their site.

This will be made worthwhile to frihost because in spending those points and frih$, people will have to do more posting etc. on the site to catch up on points and frih$, meaning people will spend more time on the forums, meaning frihost gets more money from the ads. If the prize is a double sized account, it wont cost frihost much at all.
n0obie4life
We have had some competitions Wink.

The Rank Images you see were part of a competition where Frihosters made Rank Images for us.
Drayk
IDEA NUMBER 2

Frihost offers an advertising scheme where a person can put an ad on their site, rather than frihost putting ads only on the forum. Rather than offering more points or frih$ (Which will sort of counter the fantasic atmosphere about not paying anything, either in money or a hosting enforced ad regime), Frihost offers a new type of money, called Brownie points or something. The idea is that once a person has accumulated a set amount of brownie points (Like 1000), Frihost will make their account a bit better. Frihost gets a great deal here, because every click/view gives the site more money, and what they give in return would spend only part of the money they recieved.

Lets say i made a really, really cool site, and had one of these ads on my website. Over a few weeks, Frihost gets $20USD off my really cool site from an ad. $1USD could equal 50 brownie points, so after all the math, i and left with a free site space and bandwidth upgrade which will be used to make my site even COOLER (and hence more guests), and Frihost would get the $20USD, for the price of one and a half normal accounts, perhaps. Since the person is still going onto the forums, Frihost gets even MORE money from that, so i cant see why this isnt a good idea.

All in all, the hardworking, successful sites become larger and more successful, without affecting the smaller sites, and frihost gets loads of money. Two small things worth considering; To stop someone abusing the system, make each brownie level more, so start with a requirement of 1000 BP, then increase that to 50,000 BP, then 250, 000 etc. after each new brownie level. Also, frihost could offer (for a set amount of Frih$ or BP, a domain name, and a .com site, letting frihost expand into the .com market).

Excuse me for not using the owner(s) name instead of "Frihost", but to be honest i dont know how many people own this site - i know one for sure, Bondings, but i decided to play it on the safe side and just call it "Frihost". If you ARE offended that i couldnt be bothered to look up who owned the site, just substitute your name in all the right places. Hope these ideas help.
n0obie4life
Sorry, Bondings has already said no to placing AD Banners on our sites, even if we wanted to Smile.

Regards.
Drayk
Quote:
We have had some competitions .

The Rank Images you see were part of a competition where Frihosters made Rank Images for us.

What do you mean by rank images? (lol, in the time it took me to write idea number 2, n0obie4life had time to come, read, leave a message, and leave)
Laughing
n0obie4life
http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14966

That Smile.

Those are rank images. You have them under your name beside each post.

and btw, to quote someone effectively, you can just click on the quote button on the top right hand corner of the post you wish to quote Wink
Drayk
O_o

Bugger, although that does make sense...

Cheers.
Drayk
Idea Number 3

Bondings arranges some special jumbo accounts for the more dedicated frihosters, these accounts are much bigger, but take up 3 points per day rather than 1.
tidruG
Drayk wrote:
Idea Number 3

Bondings arranges some special jumbo accounts for the more dedicated frihosters, these accounts are much bigger, but take up 3 points per day rather than 1.

This has been discussed before. I think everytime such a discussion was brought up, Bondings generally ended it by saying that he prefers that each member has the same available hosting option. Confused
Drayk
Thats a pity, because having flexible accounts would be great because they would tailor to a wider variety of people, for example some people may want a larger site, and because frihost doesnt let them, they have to leave frihost and make a new site on one of the professional (Money per month) hosting servers, and buy a domain name to boot.

This may not be completely on topic, although considering i had a few ideas about ads in the previous posts, i suppose it is. How much does the average cash per click and cash per 1000 views ad give? How much do popup ads and popunder ads give? Do a lot of ads have spyware and viruses and nasty cookies on them? Not many people go about telling you these things before you actually put them onto a site (Yes, i know Frihost doesnt let you put your own ads on your sites, but this is a hypothetical question, of use to me when i make a .com site sometime in the future)
bananaphone
Actually the idea of flexible accounts is OK. That way, if people need more bandwidth they simply need to be more active on the forums.
n0obie4life
@drayk

It totally depends on how much the ad is worth Wink. No, the Ads do not have spyware/adware on them.

@bananaphone

We have thought of it, the forum is already being spammed ATM. If we introduce that, we'll receive even MORE spam.
tidruG
Drayk wrote:
(Yes, i know Frihost doesnt let you put your own ads on your sites, but this is a hypothetical question, of use to me when i make a .com site sometime in the future)

I didn't know we had a rule like that. You can have ads on your sites. Lots of members I know have Google Adsense on their sites. Frihost as a policy does not put our ads on your sites, but you can have your own ads on your site.
Drayk
Confused Okay; spose i was just confused.
TheNEC
you know, what would be great is if you actually gave out a free domain name for the 1,000th post that someone put up, or gave one away once every year. It would get tecchies that dont have a credit card a chance to actually do somethin on the net.
n0obie4life
We're wayyyy past our 1000th post.

If we come up with something too, we won't tell you guys unless it's needed to, it's a secret Very Happy