FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

People are bumping ancient topics

Da Rossa
Look at this example: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-8858.html

I believe the users not always realise the last post is 5 years old, and in my opinion it's not their fault. The date of last post is displayed in such a small font! Or maybe there could be an alert that the thread is older than X days?

Thanks for considering.
Ankhanu
<MOD>Moved to the Suggestions forum</MOD>
badai
not news. so much suggestions to stop this, but nothing was done.

just live with it.
rjraaz
As I saw; Old threads are generally bumped by new users to get more points quickly. And I always report such spammers time to time. I agree to "Da Rossa" integration of a some warning popup or dialog box for such old topics is required with warning of getting reported by other users and chances to will have warning flag.

Because sometimes bumping of old topic is reasonable to bump for suggestion or solution.
deanhills
I don't particularly mind. Frihost Forums are so slow right now, and sometimes people bump threads in the Forums that are interesting. Nice to see the golden oldie avatars again.

The only posts/comments that I'd really love to see deleted however are the nonsense comments that are made in Bondings official blogs.

Like this one:
http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-159788.html

I'd have wanted to delete some of the comments in the above thread. Could be however that Mods can't delete comments in Bondings' official blog, only Bondings can.
Ankhanu
Bumping old threads is, conceptually, fine. The problem is when the bumping post has nothing meaningful to contribute to the topic, and/or doesn't further the discussion at hand... which tends to be the most common way in which old threads are bumped Razz

This isn't a problem with old thread bumping specifically... it's a general problem in forums. People contribute junk to current topics just as readily as they might contribute junk to old threads. Good content bumps are A-OK, no matter how old the thread is. At the end of the day, the age of the thread isn't particularly relevant, if there is content to be added. (Of course, if you're asking questions to users who aren't even around any more, you should probably skip it)

That said, yeah, meaningless thread necromancy is certainly frowned upon, and if rampant, does result in moderation.
Da Rossa
Sorry, but, to be honest, I didn't even remember the Suggestions forum! Embarassed

So ok, I agree people can and sometimes should bump topics so old. I never suggested it wasn't allowed, neither did I suggest an autolock function. But the simple warning could be a nice thing!
sonam
I think the new members post their reply in old topic because they don't look in date of post. Some of them are SPAM, of course, but most of them are posted by mistake. The warning message in reply box will be complicated for programming but on the list of reply we can separate all posts older then six months. There are on the top of this separation we can write some message something like "Old topics! Please reply only if you have real up to date post."

Sonam
Da Rossa
That would be a good idea! Smile
kaysch
I don't have a problem with old posts being revived. Take those forums on religion and philosphy for instance. Christianity is over 2,000 years old and discussing about it is by definition not out of date. Why would anybody want a warning if somebody comes up with a new idea about it?
sonam
kaysch wrote:
I don't have a problem with old posts being revived. Take those forums on religion and philosphy for instance. Christianity is over 2,000 years old and discussing about it is by definition not out of date. Why would anybody want a warning if somebody comes up with a new idea about it?

I think this is not problem in lot of forums posts. But some specific forums have problem with posting in old topic. For example if I am asking: How I can center div in IE6 (approximately at 2006.) then I don't need today answer: This is very old browser it will be good up to date your windows. Smile

I have not changed only browser, but also several computers.

Of course in religion and philosophy forum this is not important.

Sonam
kaysch
sonam wrote:
if I am asking: How I can center div in IE6 (approximately at 2006.) then I don't need today answer: This is very old browser it will be good up to date your windows. Smile

Fine, but why would people want to revive posts about outdated software? Again, I think there is no need for warning that somebody replies to an old post.
Marcuzzo
kaysch wrote:
sonam wrote:
if I am asking: How I can center div in IE6 (approximately at 2006.) then I don't need today answer: This is very old browser it will be good up to date your windows. Smile

Fine, but why would people want to revive posts about outdated software? Again, I think there is no need for warning that somebody replies to an old post.

because they didn't read the thread...

EDIT: and to get the points ( which are useless by now)
Da Rossa
But there are some forums that get affected by bounced topics. The relationships is one good example.
Sometimes someone asks for advice, we answer, the topic gets cold, so we assume the topic opener got it sorted. Then a new member (or even an old one in need of points) bounces with some ideas, but maybe the original situation that motivated the opening of the topic in the first place is way gone. So, after this bouncer, I get to the topic, thinking it is fresh, and start typing my point of view in order to help the opener to resolve his "current" issue. When I post my advice, the guy is married to someone else already. I though the topic was new!
sonam
Ha, they are married and maybe divorced between two posts. Smile

From my point of view separating old and new posts will make good job with stopping to post in old topic.

Sonam
Blaster
I agree with what others have said. Bumping old topics sometimes brings up good conversation. We also do specify in the rules that you should search before posting a topic. So therefore people are doing the right thing by bumping an old post. However I do see the point that a lot of the time it is simply just spam.