FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

linux distribution ubuntu reliable upgrade

candido
Hi,

I have 12.04 LTS ubuntu linux/gnu distribution installed on my laptop. I have installed some application manually on it with configure and make scripts. Now there is a new distribution version (ubuntu 14.04) and would like update it but i think that it is possible that manually installed packages will need a manually reinstallation for dependence compatibility.

There is some tool or protocol for a reliable update?

thanks in advance
Marcuzzo
candido wrote:
Hi,

I have 12.04 LTS ubuntu linux/gnu distribution installed on my laptop. I have installed some application manually on it with configure and make scripts. Now there is a new distribution version (ubuntu 14.04) and would like update it but i think that it is possible that manually installed packages will need a manually reinstallation for dependence compatibility.

There is some tool or protocol for a reliable update?

thanks in advance

my guess is no, if you didn't install the files from the official repositories you are probably going to have to redo the entire thing.

I usually stick to apt-get on my debian machine and if I need to install software that isn't in the repositories or the repositories only have an outdated version then I will write a script to download and install the program + it's dependencies of the dependencies of the the dependencies
candido
Hi,

I would like know if its possible do a local deb repo with manual compiled packages or if there are some simple scripts for make auto compilation. You know iif there is some reference about these scripts?

Thanks