FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The simplest temperature question

jmraker
Where do I go to find out the official average temperature of the earth as it was yesterday or any day last 30 days?

People are measuring the temperature of the oceans, deep seas, deserts, ice-lands, cities, forests, high-atmosphere etc so there must be a website taking all those numbers in, simplifying them and sharing the numbers daily, right?

There would have to be a global average temperature of the 24 hour day, is anybody measuring it?
badai
http://bit.ly/1uSnViN

i got the third result.
jmraker
badai wrote:
http://bit.ly/1uSnViN

i got the third result.

I just see a bunch of historical graphs that go by "weather anomaly" (that don't have much of a matching consensus among each other). No day by day temperature numbers as one would get from a weather site, weatherperson on TV or in a weather app.

It's like google-images searched for "Global average temperature anomaly historical graphs" instead.
kelseymh
jmraker wrote:
Where do I go to find out the official average temperature of the earth as it was yesterday or any day last 30 days?

There is no such quantity measured. Temperature and other sensors are readout asynchronously, with a significant lag between when the data is acquired and when it is retrieved. Global mean temperatures are generally constructed on monthly or longer timescales, with a non-trivial delay.
jmraker
kelseymh wrote:
jmraker wrote:

There is no such quantity measured. Temperature and other sensors are readout asynchronously, with a significant lag between when the data is acquired and when it is retrieved. Global mean temperatures are generally constructed on monthly or longer timescales, with a non-trivial delay.

Does that mean that the technology doesn't exist to retrieve sensor data asynchronously at a bitrate to transmit a few numbers in less time than it collects them because weather equipment technology hasn't advanced in the last 20 years? Or is it it always a case of something like "launch weather balloons" then "find those missing weather balloons in siberia" when the balloons come down?

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/upperair/radiosondes.htm
Bikerman
There are thousands of land and sea 'stations' used to collect global stats. They vary in sophistication and in the extent/modernity of the kit deployed. With some stations you can get a fairly real-time data snapshot but with others the kit doesn't permit it. Even if you could pull the data down in real-time from the thousands of stations, you would need to do significant processing to make any sense out of it. To start with you would have to correct for time across the dataset, and further corrections would be needed depending on what you were looking to get from the data.

You can access individual NOAH station data HERE. You can access complete data-sets HERE
amagard
Quote:
The average temperature of Earth according to NASA figures is 15C.

says google when you google for "average earth temperature". That statement is made in this blog posting on "Universe Today". It is confirmed by this nasa blog posting saying:
Quote:
If there were no greenhouse effect, the Earths average surface temperature would be a very chilly -18C (0F) instead of the comfortable 15C (59F) that it is today

NASA maintains a nice historical chart where you can see average temperature of the earth broken down into different areas on the globe in 10-year steps starting 1880.