FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Steam

tonberry
So... the Steam OS is in the works. The beta wasn't much - but then how could it be more? So many developers have promised support for the platform and the fact that Microsoft is pissing so much on Windows as a gaming platform also seems to point to a future success for Steam, but is it really going to be one?

So far my every experience with Linux was a disaster and there are so many issues in Linux that are fully automated in Windows... if even a fraction of them still remain in Steam OS, no ordinary user would want those headaches. I think there is definitely place for a new OS, but can Valve pull it off? What's your opinion on that?
deanhills
tonberry wrote:
So far my every experience with Linux was a disaster and there are so many issues in Linux that are fully automated in Windows... if even a fraction of them still remain in Steam OS, no ordinary user would want those headaches. I think there is definitely place for a new OS, but can Valve pull it off? What's your opinion on that?
I've been tempted to learn Linux but never got to doing that. Got distracted as may have to make a big move from one continent to another soon. However totally agree with one thing that every one can do with another operating software. Also an alternative to Google search engine, alternative browser to Chrome and Firefox. An alternative to YouTube, to Skype. I'd like to see many more really efficient competitors so we can have better choices.

Thing is however that those large corporations like Microsoft, Google, Apple, Adobe, etc. are so controlling, so protective of their own, so protected by indirect Government wheelings and dealings, cooperation dealings with hardware dealers, and licensing, wonder whether a really competitive alternative OS would ever be possible? Crying or Very sad
Josso
Quote:
Also an alternative to Google search engine

Startpage probably as it's "enhanced by google" but private, or duckduckgo

Quote:
alternative browser to Chrome and Firefox

You don't like Mozilla?

Quote:
An alternative to YouTube

Vimeo maybe, I'd quite like some suggestions for this. although everyone has the DMCA problems Youtube does seem to have some debatable ToS and a lot of false flagging.

Quote:
to Skype.

Bloody anything. It was actually decent a decade ago. XMPP, IRC, whatever.