FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gamification

tonberry
Hi! I have my "Frihost rebounds" when I join, write for some time, then quit, then join again write and forget about the forum again. Since now I'm in my "I'm back" phase, there are things I have noticed lately. One obvious problem with "posts for points" system is that some people are just going to start writing stupid posts to get points until they get what they came for. And a lot of them do, after reading enough I'm sure most veteran members of this forum can see those from miles away.

When the ecosystem full of point-whoring is established, the atmosphere is polluted to an extent and normal, unforced spontaneous conversation becomes less popular and if the forum is to thrive, there must be some measures taken to counter that effect.

I don't know what those might be, but since the gamification scheme is already in place, why not expand on it? For example you could start weekly tournament posts where the winner gets 50 points for example. You know, look for different ways to engage that would bring more enthusiasm to the table instead of the usual grindfest. I'm sure many people here have interesting things to say, but since they have been encouraged to buy their way in with post, they now need to be encouraged more to bring more enthusiasm and the atmosphere will change for the better.
deanhills
tonberry wrote:
Hi! I have my "Frihost rebounds" when I join, write for some time, then quit, then join again write and forget about the forum again. Since now I'm in my "I'm back" phase, there are things I have noticed lately. One obvious problem with "posts for points" system is that some people are just going to start writing stupid posts to get points until they get what they came for. And a lot of them do, after reading enough I'm sure most veteran members of this forum can see those from miles away.

When the ecosystem full of point-whoring is established, the atmosphere is polluted to an extent and normal, unforced spontaneous conversation becomes less popular and if the forum is to thrive, there must be some measures taken to counter that effect.

I don't know what those might be, but since the gamification scheme is already in place, why not expand on it? For example you could start weekly tournament posts where the winner gets 50 points for example. You know, look for different ways to engage that would bring more enthusiasm to the table instead of the usual grindfest. I'm sure many people here have interesting things to say, but since they have been encouraged to buy their way in with post, they now need to be encouraged more to bring more enthusiasm and the atmosphere will change for the better.
Great idea Ton. I love enthusiasm and haven't seen any in a while. As well as a sense of humour. I think the last really great enthusiasm, including yours of today (a breath of fresh air for sure), has been TheGremlyn with her sterling contributions in the blog section, as well as Amagard and Ankhanu. Would be great if enthusiasm could be rewarded. I tried to do that a couple or more years ago, but learned that coins aren't enough to get enthusiasm going. Think the blogs are probably a good place, and maybe a poster of the month award in the form of a free domain or something.
sonam
We need more enthusiasm in frihost forum. Any way for inspiring members for posting and rewarding them for posting is good idea. I like tonberry suggestion. Applause

Sonam
amagard
I like Ton's "gamification" idea as well ! I could imagine a "Top 20" or "Top 50" Contributors list, probably based on average coins / day. Such a list can be a great motivator for people trying to either get on the list at all or getting further to the top.
deanhills
amagard wrote:
I like Ton's "gamification" idea as well ! I could imagine a "Top 20" or "Top 50" Contributors list, probably based on average coins / day. Such a list can be a great motivator for people trying to either get on the list at all or getting further to the top.
Right. Like the "top poster" categories one gets at myBB and at phpBB. Should be very easy to implement as well at Frihost.
sonam
amagard wrote:

This is good idea but I don't think the ranking on some list will inspire people on posting. If there are no reward points (for first five or ten) this contribution will die soon.

Sonam