FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tips on naming a website

MarioSiAko
i have joined to this hosting site for the purpose of creating a website..however im finding it hard to choose what might be the name of my website..can anyone give me a tip on what might be the best way to name my website?
SonLight
Pick some content areas you are interested in, and try writing articles about them. The blog facility here at the forum isn't very fancy, but if you use it to experiment with displaying your ideas to the public I'm sure a lot of names will come to mind. Once you have an idea for a name though, you most likely will have a difficult time acquiring a domain name related to it.
cybersa
Read about SEO.
You can get some idea about how to name the website?
lightworker88
First, Frihost allows multiple subdomains. Your initial subdomain name does not have to be your website name. It sounds like you could get hung up on this and not get work done on it while you work on your site.
zacky
cybersa wrote:
Read about SEO.
You can get some idea about how to name the website?

I indeed agree.

Regardless of your intention of creating your website, SEO runs a huge part of it. Later on, you will need this in order to get your content popularity plus the traffic in your site.
HazyJay
MarioSiAko wrote:
i have joined to this hosting site for the purpose of creating a website..however im finding it hard to choose what might be the name of my website..can anyone give me a tip on what might be the best way to name my website?

What is the purpose of your website? I want to build a website. Ok, that's quite broad. I envisage already the Simpsons episode where Homer creates a webpage full of animated gifs Wink

I have a piece of paper and a pencil, I got them with the intention of drawing a picture. What should I name my picture? [this is before I've even drawn it!!]

Jesting aside, your name is going to come from your content. If you are cooking blog then you are going to want to name your website accordingly 'Marioskitchenblog.xxx', if you are a business then again it would be your brand name, or something indicative of the industry you are in.

Recent years have seen an increase in vanity domains such as 'AnneJones.com'

Without being too blunt, with no idea what you wish to contain within your website, no amount of net savvy or genius can come up with a name on your behalf.

Sorry guys, but you're telling OP to look at SEO before OP even knows their content??? I'm guessing from the OP's post that they are new to web design, therefore, guiding them on content first is best. SEO can confuse, so best to keep it simple at first surely. Stick to what OP wants, ideas on website. Smile

If you are asking, 'What should I build a website about?' then I echo comment above regarding doing something you are interested/passionate in. Smile
tonberry
Linking it up with seeking a domain name is a good option in my opinion. If you name your website one way and have a domain with completely different words, this doesn't look good. At least when I surf, when i encounter such thing it is a big turn off and usually I close the page immediately. What I recommend is a lot harder than just finding the name, but it's going to make your life much easier later Smile
lightworker88
If having difficulty with it, remember you can change it later, up until you start advertising it. Pick a subdomain name or directory, start putting in code, and pretty soon you'll have more than you started with. Or course, I myself haven't made nearly as much progress as I'd like. But I believe I would never even get started if I had to choose a name first.
johans
MarioSiAko wrote:

that really depends on what type of website are you planning to build.

If it is for economics try put some money key words or forex exchange key words.. that is just a tips but at the end of the day that really depends on you.

I hope you find a good one.
alfredolx
MarioSiAko wrote:

First of all, you need to know what your is business about, or what is what you are going to do with your website, then, brainstorm a list of names that describes it, then ask a group of people what the names tell them, pick the best three and go with the one you like the most!

hope it helps!
urielt
to achieve a better seo ranking, its recommended to have a domain name that is user friendly and directly to your service or items