FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can a hypnotist use hypnosis to give a dream?

jmraker
I've never been hypnotized but I wonder....

Is it possible for hypnosis, from what I hear is a state of mind resembling sleep, be used to influence the state of mind in sleep, dreams? (whether it affects anything or not)

For example could a hypnotist tell me to dream about not smoking, dream about how vegetables taste more delicious than junk food, or just have me dream about me clucking like a chicken.
Bikerman
I think not. Dreams are not well understood and hypnotists have no special expertise in that area.
The current understanding (or it was, last time I looked into it) is that dreaming is a bit like central clearing. It is a process of fitting the experiences and memories of the day into the existing mental structures we have. There is a lot of processing going on and our dreams are just a side-effect - a bit like farts after a meal - they are a result of the digestive process, not the reason for that process.
spinout
You don't need I hypnotist to make up in advance what to dream about. You can decide before you turn to sleep. Well you might dream alot and just remember some parts but it works.
I remembered when I was 10 and told my self before sleep that I would be Flash Gordon that night. Sure enough, I was Flash Gordon in a great adventure, shooting what ever aliens it was... hehe
Insanity
I don't think you are in a state of sleep when you are in hypnosis. It's sort of a different state altogether where you're sort of awake, but then again you are not very. You don't remember much, but you're not entering into REM sleep either. I think most dreaming happens in that state, so if you're under hypnosis, I would say no.