FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[OFFICIAL] Favourite Author

MatthewDoe
Dan Brown is one of the best writers I have ever seen. I liked all of his books, Angels & Demons, The DaVinci Code, Deception Point, etc. I like thrilling books like that and he writes books that really give a lot of detail and they are well researched. I also like when something is always happening, and Dan Brown is good with that too. I have read all of Dan Brown's books and I really wish he would come out with more.

Another author I really like is Joel C. Rosenberg, he writes political thrillers and things like that. I like him because his first book (The Last Jihad) was about the war in Iraq, so he's writing about stuff that is happenening now. I am just getting into the next book (The Last Days) and it is turning out to be good, even though I am not currently very far into it. I want another book he has written but havn't been able to find it.

The third and final author that I like the most, that I can think of right now, is probably one of yours. . . J.K. Rowling, I love Harry Potter, own all of the books in hardback and even operate my own Harry Potter Role Play Game (Checkmate Marauders.) There's really not much explaining I have to do for J.K. Rowling because everyone knows about and loves her. I am looking forward to the next movie as, I also own the first 3 that are out now, but really waiting for the next book. I'm not ready for the series but, I know there will be a good ending to it all.
meet in rio
Gabriel Garcia Marquez, probably.

One Hundred Years of Solitude was the first book I read to incorporate magic realism, and I've been hooked ever since.

On a less intellectual note, I'm a huge fan of the Harry Potter books =P.

Oh, and the His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pullman, although I don't love all of his stories, so I suppose I can't really call myself a fan.
lavender
MatthewDoe wrote:
Dan Brown is one of the best writers I have ever seen. I liked all of his books, Angels & Demons, The DaVinci Code, Deception Point, etc.

Yes, i like to read his books, too, and just finish Angels & Demons this week.
lycadia
My favorite authors change on a weekly basis and depending on what genre I've been reading lately.

At the moment, I've been reading a lot of nonfiction Renaissance History, so Frank Tallet, Mrs. King, and of course, Jacob Burkhart's The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy top the list there, the latter being old but nearly a dear companion. I've worn out 2 paper copies and have a much annotated digital copy on my PDA at all times.

Fiction... at the moment is Fantasy and Comedy for me. David Eddings, Neil Gaiman, the Harry Potter books.... _Terry Prachett_... I can not praise the Discworld books enough. Few other things will take me away from a bad day faster and leave a lingering sense of good humor for me.
ollandjeugd
Peter R. de Vries is one of my favorites wrighters. He is a famous rechercheur in Holland. And he wrote books about murders and kidnappings. Like the kidnapping of Freddie Heineken, the man from the Heineken Beer.
rip8fan1
Isaac Asimov
Dan Brown
JK Rowling
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
Brian Jacques
Larry Niven
Robert Jordan
Terry Brooks
Orson Scott Card
Alan Dean Foster
Piers Anthony
J.D. Robb
Janet Evanovich
Brian Lumley
Terry Goodkind
Robert Silverberg
Lemony Snicket
Bill Myers
Terry Pratchett

and I'm sure I missed quite a few!!!
Modulator
I currently have been reading Jaque Derrida's "OF Grammatology." I usually don't do much light reading.
Ioana
meet in rio wrote:
Gabriel Garcia Marquez, probably.

One Hundred Years of Solitude was the first book I read to incorporate magic realism, and I've been hooked ever since.

For me it is diffcult to decide whom I prefer - Gabriel Garcia Marques or Fjodor Dostojewski.
Long time not read any of them...
JessieF
I love to read, and read many books from the same authors.
I really do have a lot of favorite authors, and I was wondering how many others like the same authors. I haven't met that many people that have read books by certain authors.

My Favs Are:

Jennifer Fallon
Anne McCaffrey
Michael Crichton
William Corlett
Richard Laymon
Walter Farley and Steven Farley
Bruce Coville
Sandra Brown
Christopher Golden
V.C Andrews
Pierce Anthony
Tamora Pierce
Robert Jordan
Dean Koontz
Edgar Allan Poe
Mark999111
Dont really have one, but Charles R. Cross did a great job on the kurt cobain bio; heavier than heaven
JessieF
I also like J.K Rowling...lol ^^ Forgot that....
I haven't read that.
Is it interesting?
Phi
JessieF wrote:

My Favs Are:
Tamora Pierce

We share a favorite author! <3 I used to love reading her books a few years ago. I've pretty much stopped reading fantasy though >__<

Right now my favorite authors are:

Audrey Niffenegger
Paullina Simons
George Orwell
quirkylife
i think that my favourite author has to be jeffery archer, while some consider his books boring i fisnd them comforting, there is something nice and predicatable about his writing style especially in his earlier books such as kane and able etc.
his plots are predicatable, long winded, and make the best bath reading ever, you dont have to focus on the writing it just drifts into you like a well worn dream, invoking de ja voo but never letting you leave the reality that this book is the same as his last, isnt original and that you wont rind anything as interesting as remembering previous lives..
WinterMoon
Favorite author has got to be Anne Bishop, hands down. I loved Anne Rice in the beginning, but her books just got too fluffy and when they came out with the movie for Queen of the Damned... it made me want to decline EVER liking any of Anne Rice's books. However, hearing that people are so conflicted over her last few Vampire Chronicles books has me heartened some, as that was part of the reason I loved her first books so much to begin with. You either love 'em or you hate 'em. Smile

WinterMoon
Jayfarer
Douglas Adams, I guess. I dont own as many books by any other author. I just got Salmon of Doubt, though I haven't had the time to even crack it open yet.
konceptz
My favourite authors are:

Jeff Kent<--Author of many handy programming guides
Richard Mills<--Ultimate XML Guru
Tom Cirtin<--Author for Java Demystified
naz
In no particular order:

Nietzsche
Kant
Kafka
Schoppenhauer
Heideger
Sanfranski

...and many more
bgdates
Dylan Thomas
e.e. cummings
Edgar Allen Poe
Ezra Pound
George Gordon, Lord Byron
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Robert Frost
Robert W. Service
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Sylvia Plath
Walt Whitman

And Death Shall Have No Dominion
by: Dylan Thomas

And death shall have no dominion.
Dead men naked they shall be one
With the man in the wind and the west moon;
When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone,
They shall have stars at elbow and foot;
Though they go mad they shall be sane,
Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again;
Though lovers be lost love shall not;

Under the windings of the sea
They lying long shall not die windily;
Twisting on racks when sinews give way,
Strapped to a wheel, yet they shall not break;
Faith in their hands shall snap in two,
And the unicorn evils run them through;
Split all ends up they shan't crack;

No more may gulls cry at their ears
Or waves break loud on the seashores;
Where blew a flower may a flower no more
Lift its head to the blows of the rain;
Though they be mad and dead as nails,
Heads of the characters hammer through daisies;
Break in the sun till the sun breaks down,
miau
I don't read with a lot of frequency, but my favorite author is a Brazilian, "Álvares de Azevedo".
e-core
I LOVE reading but sadly do not get enough time to do it atm.

I seem to read 5/6 books at the same time,

atm i'm reading

Memiors of a Giesha
Eats, Shoots and Leaves
A book about Mind-Maps
A book about Learning Journals
A book about Alfred Hitchcock

so a wide veriaty
stiffler
I like a lot of stuff, but really dont have a lot of time to read. I have a few thousand page book of old English Literature(novels, poems, etc...) from Shakespeare to Poe. And everything else.

I also like

Stephen King
Piers Anthony
Dean Koontz
Michael Crichton(spelling?)
beyondinfiniti
i like dale browns books. they r pretty good.
hooloovoo
As a couple other people said...Douglas Adams...Ive read each of his books at least 3 times each.....its a little depressing to tell you the truth, i need to broaden my horizens
Revvion
Aldo do i dont read verry much if i read i read one from the following authors:
Tom Clancy
J.K Rowling
Robin Cook
godam64
i'm sick with reading economic books while in college. i think tatang s. is my favourite writer.

i'm not quite enjoy reading at this time. it's makes my eyes weird.
please.be.quiet
stephen chbosky
chuck palahniuk
mary beth miller
william golding
truman capote
laurie halse anderson
XSTG
Tough to remember...
surely those:

J.K. Rowling
Margaret Weis
Tracy Hickman

Very Happy
maia
i'm a bookworm, so i have a lot of favorite authors.

those that are on my top 10 are:

1. J.K. Rowling
2. J.R.R. Tolkien
3. Sidney Sheldon
4. Robert Ludlum
5. Judith McNaught
6. Jude Deveraux
7. Julie Garwood
8. Dan Brown
9. Tom Clancy
10. Susan Elizabeth Phillips
nam_siddharth
I love to read books. I look for good title than auther name. I mostly read Hindi books. I have read many books of Arther Conan Doyle. I do not think that he is my favourate writter. I still have to find my favourate writter.
JessieF
I'ma bookworm too! I absolutly love reading! ^^
Koutsomoura
Tolkien
Uberto Eco
Stephen King

and of course many greek writers! Very Happy
ainieas
Jeffery Archer

Also Charles Dickens
Josso
I don't get to read enough really I'm too busy with other creative things like making videos, animations, music etc. But when I do read I read loads of Terry Pratchett.
dac_nip
i like Tolkien and Tolstoy, very remarkable authors. Rowling and Ludlum are also good. write now, im collecting covert-ops novels of Robert Ludlum. ahh yeah, Dan Brown also is very good.
ddukki
I have to say that James Clavell, Alexander Dumas, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle rank very high in my standards.
FriBogdan
I prefer James Clavell. It is the most good writer i have ever seen. Try Shogun. This is his master piece...every one should know it and read it.
moth
David Weber
Andrzej Ziemianski
Steve White
Alistair Reynolds
Dean Koontz
John Grisham
sangharsha
I love books, literature particularly. But cant justify the statement... because i m unable to create time spaces for reading......

I do it often........ and suddenly by the cycle of wind.

I like
Anton Checkov
WB Yeats,
WH Auden

etc........ cant remember all.
RedMuse
I particularly like:

Agatha Christie
Khalil Gibran
J.K Rowling
Stephen King
Dan Brown
Deathskin
John Grisham is king, all his books are equally good (except for The CLient) which was horrible
BCP88
John Grisham and Dawn Brown are the best.
supercat
Who is better Terry Brooks,R.A. Salavatore,Goerge lucas,J.K. Rowling or Piers anthony.I like Piers anthony, he is the best.Salvatore is cool Cool Cool based on his works they aren't that good but okay.Drizzit is awesome!!,(a dark elf in his novels)Very Happy.But piers antonthy is always the best!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
supercat
Am I the only one who likes these authors?
candycakes
lol, most likely not, but a lot of people might not have heard of them? I only two of the authors you put up there, J.K. Rowling, and George Lucas.

My favorite author would be Stephen King. It's a weird choice I know, but I really admire his style of writing, and his boldness. The topics that he writes about may be a little gruesome to some, since all of his stories are about horror themes. But I really like how the way Stephen King writes is a real honest way. He writes things and expresses them in a realistic way that everyone can understand. A good writer makes you feel his words, and makes them come alive. His stories always tie together so well too, and after they're done, they give you a sense of completion. One of my favorite stories is IT, about a monster from the future who comes to "rape all the men, and rob all the women." I would reccommend the book, but for those who cannot handle reality, I don't think it would be such a good book to read. It contains adult material, a lot of swear words, and just about anything profane. It's still a good book to enjoy xD
Jeslyn
My favorite.. are Eoin Colfer, Anne Rice (sort of... I like her other books better Laughing), Sarah Dessen, Louis Carroll, Alma Alexander... I have a long long lit
lucifertje
I love Orson Scott Card. I think i have (or at least have read) about every book he ever wrote, including the stranger things, like non sci-fi stuff.
It's just very easy to read and keeps you going.
legion
in the top of the list are surely those two genius s.f. writers : Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke
all their books are worth buying

the bronze medal goes to a romanian poet Mihai Eminescu
IceCameron
Since im reading Aldous Huxley's Brave New World he is my favorite for now.
Next it'll be William Faulkner, that is iff i manage that.
I got this amazing Summer of Faulkner box for christmas from a good cousin of mine.
Stinger
mine iss Gavin hensons auto biography!!!
JessieF
I have two new favorite authors!!

Ayn Rand,
and Dean Koontz.
Flarkin
Ok, my 2 cents worth!!

Favorite authors are:
Robert E. Howard
H.P. Lovecraft
Robert Jordan
George R.R. Martin
papamurphy
I have read almost all of the above mentioned authors, excluding Anthony. I have tried to read his Xanth novels, but just couldn't get into them. My favorite writers would have to be: JRR Tolkien, George RR Martin, Tad Williams, Orson Scott Card, JK Rowling, Terry Brooks, R.A. Salvatore, and many more, but you get the idea. I love reading Sci-Fi/Fantasy, in my opinion it is the best genre out there.
carl005
IceCameron wrote:
Since im reading Aldous Huxley's Brave New World he is my favorite for now.
Next it'll be William Faulkner, that is iff i manage that.
I got this amazing Summer of Faulkner box for christmas from a good cousin of mine.

Brave New World is an amazing book. Although it is an easier read, read the Giver if you haven't already have the chance.

I liked Terry Brooks a while ago, I had read some of the earlier Shannara, but I felt it was like a rip off of LotR after having read those post Shannara. The Running With Demons series was pretty cool though (read 3 of them) and the Magic Kingdom Sold ones too, never got all the way trough them all.

Right now I'm a big Douglas Adams fan and I have been reading a similar seires, to that of HHtG, by Terry Pratchett. The series is called Disc World and there's a whole butt load of books to it. The three I have read are quite humorous and if you want to get into the series, I suggest you read The Color of Magic first and then follow is with The Light Fantastic. Those two I know are sequential, I have only read one more but I have one sitting on my dresser waiting for some free time to be read in.

Currently I have Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (working on), 1984, Illustrated Man slotted for the future in that order. 1984 and The Illustrated Man are for school and I will need to read Brave New World again along with Frankenstein.
srijit
Fiction: JK Rowling, JRR Tolkein, Robert Ludlum, Lois L'amour, Dan Brown
Sci-Fi : Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke
Non-Fiction : Gerald Durell ( Nature and Animal stories, damn funny )
Comics: Marvel Ent.
CamiBor
i love many writers but the favorite is Eoin Colfer
papamurphy
Quote:
but I felt it was like a rip off of LotR after having read those post Shannara.

He even admits it. He was so fascinated by it that he wanted to create something akin to it. Almost every fantasy novel out there as at least some sort of connection to Tolkien's work. He was just amazing *sigh*.
juliox
Well one of my favorite writters is Herman Hesse for his book Siddartha, Gabriel Garcia Marquez for his book chronicles of a foretold death, Maquiavelo for his book The Prince, The Stranger by Albert Camus. Well all the books that I have read are great books.
aidfarh
I like John Grisham. His writing always seems very intelligent. I always learn something new when reading his books, mostly about American life, American society and culture. Not that I like or admire the U.S., but they are interesting, from a certain point of view.
broken2144
My favorite author of fiction would be Frank Peretti.

My favorite nonfiction author is Philip Yancey. He has shaped my life, decisions I have made.

--Ryan
igor123d
I don't know if I can select one author whose works I place above everyone else's. There are so many great authors that it is really difficult to choose. I suppose Tolstoy and Dickens are my two favorite writers, although there are tens of other truly great names that come to mind.
Ioana
Gabriel Garcia Marques is my top favourite right now - but I could add these two:
Patrick Süsskind
Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Fiodor Dostojewski
PoweredDeath
Top favorite authors right now are:

HG Wells
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
B.C. Sunzi
Mark Twain
Rowling
Tanjiro
I love Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy. It is fantastic, his writing style is so cool, he really knows how to finely produce a character.

I also enjoy books by James Patterson. Particularly When The Wind Blows, Maximum Ride and The Lake House. I had a lump in my throat when I finished each of those books.

But now that I've read all of those, I'm not doing much reading lately.
jesterscourt
Currently:

William S. Burroughs
John Steinbeck
H.P. Lovecraft
J.D Salinger
Anne Rice
James Patterson
Vrythramax
I have a few authors that I really enjoy, like Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Frederick Forsyth...the really big named ones, but my own personal overall favorite would have to be Robert Ludlum.

I loved every one of his novels, I like 2 of them so much I read them twice....which is something I normally never do.
anurag_bhd
I too have many favorite authors. But of course, there are some whom I will love to remember till eternity.
These are :
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord Of The Rings
Vikram Seth - The Suitable Boy
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter
Dan Brown - The Da Vinci Code
Stephen Hawking - The Breif History Of Time
Enid Blytton - The Five Findouters

These are my "The Best" authors. But the list of my other favorite authors is not exhausting. Wink
thelfc
My favorites in no particular order of preference are:

J.R.R. Tolkien
J.K. Rowling
Dan Brown
Jeffery Archer
petroldevil
dan brown is my favourite author i also like jk rowling
Purgatorios
Has anyone here read any David Foster Wallace? It's really cool stuff, neurotic, interesting and amazingly well-written. He's labeled post-modern but I don't know much about literary movements so that means little to me. Anyway his novel Infinite Jest is the closest thing to a modern masterpiece that I know about. Check him out!
GOMichael
Emer Martin is a genius. If you haven't read her work I highly recommend it.

http://banshee.cnchost.com/emer/emer.html

Emer Martin is a writer and filmmaker who lives in Silicon Valley and Ireland. She is the author of Breakfast in Babylon and More Bread or I’ll Appear, and the upcoming Baby Zero. Her short fiction has been broadly anthologised, and her non-fiction work has appeared in the New York Times Magazine, Black Book Magazine, and a selection of Irish newspapers. In 2000, Emer was awarded America’s prestigious Guggenheim Fellowship. She is currently pursuing a Master’s Degree in Film at San Francisco State University.
nskaushik
hmm i would say issac asimov O'henry and arthur hailey..though there are a lot out there i love..but again it depends on the bokk...but for people like asimov any book is a treat..(mebe cos i like sci-fi)..nyway:)
robthedodo
my favourite novalist is the great david eddings. i love all ten of his books over the two series.
series 1: the belgraid
the pawn of profecy
Queen of Sorcery
Magician's Gambit
Castle of Wizardry
Enchanter's Endgame
series 2: the Malloreon
Guardians of the West
King of the Murgos
Demon Lord of Karanda
Sorceress of Darshiva
The Seeress of Kell
they are all brillient books and i advise every one of you to read these.
Shike
I would have to say my Favorite is Neal Stephenson. Though I thoroughly enjoy Piers Anthony, R.A. Salvatore, Ed Greenwood, Elaine Cunningham, Tolkien, R.L. Aprin, Zellany, Margret Weis, and Tracey Hickman, Dan Brown, and many many others.
noman_namon
It's hard to come out with only ONE favorite writers. First of all, I have a very broad interest and read very extensively. It is impossible to find just ONE writer who fulfill my diverse interest. I will list a few: Joseph Conrad, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Ernest Hemingway and Kahlil Gibran. There are also a who list of religious literature that I love to read and many of these were translations from other languages. You can see from my list that these are mostly of the older generation. I have not been reading much of contemporary writers.
Vesper
For me, it is a tie between Ian Fleming and Charlie Higson. I enjoyed Ian Fleming's From Russia with Love and currently, I am reading Charlie Higson's SilverFin.

Both of them are James Bond, but Ian Fleming was the creator of James Bond, when Charlie Higson writes Young Bond fan fiction.
elincinerador
well, my fauvorite author is definetly Gabriel Garcia Marquez. the man is a genious. i started reading his works this year and i can't believe i haven't did so before. one houndred years of solitude is a book that can not be surpassed. i admit that i'm a spanish-speaker and so i read them in spanish, maybe some english speakers won't agree with me. but if anyone reads in spanish will agree completely that this guy has been touched by a wand.
if i have to say authors i liked in english, well i like rowling and arthur miller, though from this last i only read all my sons.
KayosGraphix
My Favourite authour is Anne Rice, after i read her Vampire Chronicles i was hooked!
lit-diversion
Hrm..

JK Rowling, obviously.
Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake stuff, prior to all the sex. =)
Charles Bukowski's novels
Some of Stephen King's stuff.. Cell was really good.
H3LL5P4WN
Stephen King is my favorite. My fiancee bought me the entire Dark Tower series in hardback for this past Christmas.
countessdiamond
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
ladyrobina
One of my favourite authors is Katharine Kerr. She writes mainly fantasy set in a fictional land called Deverry which seems to be in of England, although she never actually says so.
This is her website.
http://www.deverry.com/
If you like fantasy you will want to read her books in one go. Try to read them in order, starting with Daggerspell, as they follow a goup of characters through time.
She has a new book The Gold Falcon due out any day now. Just can't wait for that one.
imera
I would say J.K. Rowling, but in my heart I don’t like her that much, just like the books. Maybe I like her then but I don’t really know.

My favorite author is Darren Shan, from the Darren Shan trilogy. The books is a fantasy/science fiction and in my favorite category.
kung_fu_stu
I'm so busy with school that I don't really get to enjoy the personal reading time that I used to, but I do buy a new michael crichton book whenever I get a chance. Also, whenever I can, I will pick up my complete works of Shakespeare and read a new one.
worldsport-i
JessieF wrote:
I love to read, and read many books from the same authors.
I really do have a lot of favorite authors, and I was wondering how many others like the same authors. I haven't met that many people that have read books by certain authors.

My Favs Are:

Jennifer Fallon
Anne McCaffrey
Michael Crichton
William Corlett
Richard Laymon
Bruce Coville
Sandra Brown
Christopher Golden
V.C Andrews
Pierce Anthony
Tamora Pierce

My Favourite are::
J.K Rowling,
william golding,
Robert Ludlum,
and Tamora Pierce,
drkarthi
My top 5 Favourite Authors are

1)J.R.R.Tolkien
2)Douglas Adams
3)J.K.Rowling
4)Isaac Asimov
5)Michael Crighton
zonymousbond007
I would say J.K Rowling, but I think that her writing isn't all that good, just the books themselves.

Anyway, I'm not really sure who my favourite author is... Think

Maybe Ian Fleming?

I also quite enjoy Raymond Benson's James Bond novels, and his Splinter Cell novels.

I'm not so sure
Shewolf
I love to read, but unfortunally the day has too few hours for reading... But my favourite autors what so ever are
    Tolkien
    David Eddings
    Anne McCaffery
    Jostein Gaarder
    Maria Gripe
    Byatt
    J.K Rowling
    Roald Dahl
    Virginia Wolf
    Simon Craft...
zonymousbond007
Tom Clancy is one of my favourite authors, and I'm only reading Patriot Games, which is the first of his novels I've read, and it's really good.
springbok
James Patterson and Michael Chrighton

I enjoy suspense novels

Top of all is Tolkein.

I am trying to read through the Lord if the Rings series now. Really thick book, going to take some time.
shinnoyami
I enjoy reading Ian McEwan books, even though the ones i read were quite short, they were dark and interesting. a lot of things to analyse.
Nireck
I woud rahter somebody asking another thing i have read through my entire life and i have found different authors depending of the kind of reading, thahts is why i must say that books thend to choose you no viceversa, that way sometimes we are faced with books that seem to be unreadable, but perhaps is just matter of preparation.

Well after my personal opinion I'll focus on the forum topic some of my favourite authors should be the next ones. In no particular order I say

1.- Edgar Allan Poe: the action-style that he imprints on the pages is exeptional and it has been the author( as far as I remember) that makes the most imperative, self-though, aprehensive inflections on diferent matters in the grosso of the book

2.-Juan Jose Saramargo this is a Spanish author, I truly dont know if you have some translations, but he has a very satiryc style to write, thus giving the reader a real pain and a fully espectrum of human emotion, sincerely one to remember some books if you feel pleased to read are:
Ensayos sobre la Ceguera (essays about blindness)
El evangelio segun Jesucristo (Jesus Christ Gospel)

3.- One of my inspirations is Anne Rice, in deep thought i don't know why, there are several reasons, but the kind of very feminine description that she writes makes me fly over the landscapes and Characters, truly an author to remember , each an every book ov the vampire chronicles is nice to be read, and the Mayfir witches

4.- Mario Cruz, this a very (im proud of saying this) Mexican author, he seems the life in a fatidic way, sending the people to the most twisted corners of his mind with characters and places out of this world, he is in the movement of the Dark poetry and reading. If you want some recommendations for some of his books let me know.

5.- Hermman Hesse, i fell in love with demian, so there's no much to say, he plunges the head of every person that reads his lectures, with a psicologicaly loaded charge, an author definetely to remember.

Well An lots of others, i will continue this post later on...

Greetings
Nireck
bsrkaditya
I love books on computers, expesially, on Internet.
My favorite author is Harley Hahn.Very Happy

I expesially like his books like The Internet complete reference,Internet Yellow Pages and Assembler Inside and out.

I recommend users to read The Internet Complete Reference for people who want to use the net more productivily than before. It helps every one from begginers to advanced users. It covers all the most used Internet services like mail,web,usenet, Anymoyous ftp,mailing lists,telenet, talk facilities and muds. Shocked

His unix books like the Unix Companion, A students guide to unix, Peter Norton's Guide to Unix are excellent too. Cool
Ducktape
I enjoyreading Charles Dickens because he writes so descriptively and his storylines are elaborate and creative.
girlcalledjay
There are so many different types of authors and books to read. I read different things on different days depending on my mood.

Probably my absolute all time favourite is Bryce Courtenay. He's a South Africal born Australian writer. He worte a magnificent book called The Power of One about a little boy called Peekay who dreamed of becoming a world boxing champ. The story follows his life growing up in Sth Africa and the people who shaped him into the man he became...all the while keeping his dream.

A second book, Tandia, introduces a new character (Tandia) and tells her life story. Later in the book Tandia and Peekay's lives intermingle and I get to keep reading about my favourite character some more Smile

To me, Bryce Courtenay isn't just a writer, he's a storyteller. You just sink into the characters and their lives and you feel what they do and you miss them when you finish the book.

He's written a lot of great books, but The Power of One and Tandia are always going to be my favourites. I'm onto my second copy of each because I literally read the first ones until they fell apart!!
Arethe
My favourite writer is definitely Gabriel Garcia Marques. His style is called magic realism. I so agree. The crossing between real and fantastic is so vague. While reading it really seemed to me that such things as men with wings do exist coz he describes it as a natural and everyday thing.
indianinworld
My Favourite Author is Thiruvalluvar from INDIA. He wrote "Thirukural" - Poems in Two lines - with the total amounting to 1330.

He gave the poems under 133 Header of various topics, with 10 poems under each heading.

Believe me, One of the Best. You get the Answer for all your doubts in this.

If you need a copy of this book, then just drop a mail to -
bee.sathish@gmail.com and clearly state that you need the copy of book and u r a member from Frih Host.

Else my inbox may treat ur message as SPAM.

keep smiling :: Very Happy :: Cheers and Cherish
bpetro
Favorite author has to be Dr. Hunter S. Thomspon. He gets as close to truth as you can without going to jail.

Many of you will be familiar with his most famous work "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" which was made into a movie.

The Rum Diary and The Great Shark Hunt are excellent reads as well. I highly suggest you check them out
mialynavahy
well, for polars books, i like :
john grisham
dan brown
michael connelly
agatha chrisitie (i read all her book)
and alan cohben

other authors :
paulo coelho
marc levy (wao)
and the writer of love story, oliver... i didnt remember
guillaume musso
raaeft1
My favourite authors are Tom Clancy and Colin Forbes.I have read most of their books, some of them several times.
Jack Ryan, Mr.Clark and Ding Chavez are my favourite characters and I have read all Tom Clancy books featuring them.
And Colin Forbes has done a great job in creating characters like Tweed, Paula Grey and Marler. It's a pity that Colin Forbes novels are not available as e-books.
thpn

1. J.R.R Tolkien (Lord of the Rings 1, 2, 3)
  2. John Grisham (The Broker, The Summons, Runaway Jury)
  3. Mark Bowden (Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War)
  4. "Mark Twain" (Huckleberry Fin)
puredazzle
My top 3 is: Bret Easton Ellis, Douglas Coupland and Per Hagman!
CyanEyed
anyone read Anthony Horowitz - it was his books that inspired me to write my own
Becky
J.K.Rowling

Cool
aiden_thomas
My favs are:
-Matthew Reily
-David Eddings
-Stephen King
-Dean Koontz
-George R.R. Martin
-Ramond E. Feist
-Terry Pratchett

Hmm, i tend to find i like all genres of books. Any one else like Matthew Reily? He is an australian author. Extremly good action books, the best they get.
evanc88
aiden_thomas wrote:
My favs are:
-Matthew Reily
-David Eddings
-Stephen King
-Dean Koontz
-George R.R. Martin
-Ramond E. Feist
-Terry Pratchett

Hmm, i tend to find i like all genres of books. Any one else like Matthew Reily? He is an australian author. Extremly good action books, the best they get.

Doesn't George R.R. Martin have "A Game of Thrones" and the various sequels? I can't remember if the series has a name... but if so, are they worth reading? I've been interested in them at the bookstore once or twice.
dacopenhagen
tom wolfe is one of my favorite authors by far
imera
My favourite arthur is Darren Shan.

Ihave read alot of boks, but he is the one that has caught me into his books. I have to rad more books.

the thing with me is that it dosen't mater how good the books is, I allways need something interesting action going on.

I am not sure if he is my favourite, but it is only he I can remember ,ad whit that I mean the books. I can rememberother books, but they do not interest me that much as Darren Shan triology does.

I like books with adwenture and fantasy, ant something interesting happening almoust all the time.
reddishblue
I really like Antheny Horowitz and Eoin Colfer
<BananasAreForMonkeys
Kurt Vonnegut
H.A. Rey
Mysterious Euphony
I am in envy of the talent of, and in admiration of the eloquence and storytelling style of, the following writers (never call them authors - it scares them Razz):

1. Traci Harding - Traci manages to successfully mesh together the unique and fascinating genres of science fiction, historical fiction, fantasy, and spiritual/philosophical. Her novels are a true joy to read, and new details just seemingly pop out in repeated reads that were not evident beforehand.

2. Belinda Alexandra - 'A born storyteller' as the reviewers claim, Belinda is a historical fiction kinda girl (actually, woman). Her (so far) two published novels titled White Gardenia and Wild Lavender respectively eplore the wonders and unique characteristics of earth 20th Century history, and she managed to capture the mood with every word that appears on the page.

3. Paullina Simons - Another advocate of historical fiction, Paullina is similar to Belinda. Yet their styles of expression and detail are, at times, entirely different. Paullina is the originator of such titles as The Bronze Horseman, Bridge Over Holy Cross, and Tully. Admirable works.
gamez_mafia
Jennifer Fallon
Anne McCaffrey
Michael Crichton
William Corlett
Richard Laymon
Bruce Coville
Sandra Brown
Christopher Golden
V.C Andrews
Pierce Anthony
Tamora Pierce
all is good
mpbarthou
my favourite author are :
J.K. ROWLING
GREG BEAR
AGATHA CHRISTIE
DESCARTES Smile Smile
schnitzi
My "big three" favorite authors:

John Steinbeck
Graham Greene
Albert Camus

I also read a fair bit of sci fi, and prefer:

Greg Egan
Ted Chiang
Stephen Baxter
Charles Sheffield
Spyah
mine are: Feist
and Weis and hickman

it's all fantasy with dragons and all
Nuetral
I dont cair for books at all.
But i do like to read Lemony Snicket books even though they are for younger kids i still love them.
Sl1cK
Michael Crichton or Orson Scott Card are probably my two favorite authors
milkmandan
i'm not the most read of all people, but i found this author that i'm so very drawn to. his name is alex garland, the author of the beach. i know it sounds corny, but the book is really, really good, and i've also read another by him titled, 'the tesseract', which is a good analogy for what a tesseract really is. i heard he also has another one that came out recently called 'the coma', which i will definitely be picking up.
crimson_aria
John Grisham
Dan Brown
Tolkien

^__^
anticitizen1
Stephen King
Joyce
Hesse
Baudrillard
Jhon Kenedy Tool
Tolkien
Vanilla
Hermann Hesse is my favorite author: I've got a new point of view from his books. He won a Nobel Prize in 46 and was also against war (Hesse is German). There's so much beauty in Demian...Hesse is an author that I read when I want to think.

Sidney Sheldon is very cool too. When I want a thriller, or just to get some fun, I read Sheldon's books.
Zorrin
I like any future or fantasy books, i like books that use imagination instead of fact..... those kinda get boring.....
Alistair
My personal favourite is Robin Hobb - and Fiction Fantasy author.

I have read about 9 of his novels starting with Assassin's Apprentice and going right through that series, The Liveship Traders and the later series that picked up on elements of both of the previous trilogies.
HDirtwater
I have three favorite authors, all from completely different areas of literature. I love Vonnegut. I could read and re-read any of his stories and his novels are wonderful.

I am a huge fan of Joe Queenan. His novel, Red Lobster, White Trash, and the Blue Lagoon is the funniest book I've ever read.

Finally, and on a very obscure note, I love the works of John Banville (who no one outside of the UK or Ireland probably know). I have never read more beautiful prose in my life (except maybe from Poe).
eldarian
Arrow Tolkien
Arrow E.S.Gardner
Arrow U. LeGuin
Arrow Strugatzki brothers
PeterAtWindsor
I Have a certain bias. For the last year or so I have been running "Archive Miller" The site is dedicated to publishing JR Miller’s works and providing some snippets about his life and times.

James Russell Miller (March 20, 1840–July 2, 1912) was a popular Christian author, Editorial Superintendent of the Presbyterian Board of Publication, and pastor of several churches in Pennsylvania and Illinois.

So far we have 30 of his books and 10 of his pamphlets on line.

The site is http://www.jr-miller.com

Please feel free to visit.
Ab_Sleny
Dickens
Trent DeWhite
Arrow Ted Dekker
Arrow J.R.R. Tolkien
Arrow C.S. Lewis
Arrow Leo Tolstoy

Good authors, great works.
crispz
My favourite authors would be:

Christopher Paolini
Darren Shan
Trudi Canavan
Michelle Paver
D.J. MacHale
Dr. Seus
irsmart
J.K. Rowling
J.R.R. Tolkien
Brian Jacques

... mainly all of the fantasy authors (good ones)
althalus
The author I'm currently reading and love is Trudy Canavan (The Black Magician trilogy).

Other authors are David & Leigh Eddings and Dan Brown. Lee Child is also very good with his Jack Reacher serie. Smile
bsrkaditya
Charles Dickins
Iran Rand
Dan Brown
Homer
Russel
Doyle
J.K. Rowling
heavensent6
My favorite aurthors are:

Eric Jerome Dickey
Sandra Brown
Donna Hill

to name just a few.
pandmatrix
my favourites r..
john grisham,
michael crichton,
robin cook,
jeffery archer.. etc..
faker_phil
I'm all for Ken Follet, I can't believe there isn't anybody else here that likes him. I think he writes very thrilling and exciting books, and I like all of them.
babyboyz
hmm a tough one but here is a shortlist. There are so many more but most of them I only read one of thier books so for the ones that have more than one published here is the shortlist

Toni Morrison - wrote some of the most thought provoking books song of solomon is my favourite I had to sit still after it finish. The bluest eyes is my seconf ffavourite of hers

John Grisham - get completely involved in the plot and wonder how the heck he will get the character out of trouble the best one is between the partner, the brethren and the summons (this one was a bit creepy)

Stephen King - ever since I read Carrie I had to close it half way through

Jodi Picoult - a recent addition to my author list, she looks at tsubject people are afraid to address and I think she does it with a certain level of respect that leaves you to interject your own opinion and ask your own question, very easy to start a discussion based on one of her books
Jakob [JaWGames]

Robert Jordan
Terry Pratchett
Raymond e Feist
David Eddings
Terry Goodkind

Or at least those are some of them, as you maybe can see all of the are writing fantasy.
spspremium
My favourite author is
C.S Lewis
He is a christian writer who wrote the Narnia Series.
I love his books not just because he has a christian background but that he has a very good imagation.
I love the book
The lion the witch and the wardrobe it was a fantastic book. The movie was also great. In the book it has so much tension and is fantastic. I love it how the war against good and evil came about. It was great.
All the Narnia series just make me read the books over and over again.
I recommend these books to everyone they are a family choice. These books only get better.
If you like fantasy you should read this book.
The book is a well known book and will only be more famous.
nico
My favourite author is Jacques Lusseyran. A blind French hero of the 2nd world war.

As a student he organised the Resistance against the Germans.
He was used in 'interviews' of people who wanted to join because he could see their souls.
The only one he was not sure about ended up being a mole and got them sent to a concentration camp in Germany...
evandb
Tolstoy, EM Forrester, Hemmingway, Whitman are all favorites of mine.

And I have a special place on my bookshelves for Tolkien, of course Smile
joselin7
Antonio Machado

Garcia Lorca
hellgod
i like robert ludlum's novels... esp. the bourne series.. and the sigma protocol..they r worth man..he is one hell of a writer who keeps u on the edge till the last page of the book n u cant stop readin until u know wats the climax!
Nomad
My favourite authors are (in no particular order):
Stephen King
Alexandre Dumas
Arthur Clark
Isaac Asimov
Stanislaw Lem
rshanthakumar
I always thought once you get into a job you don't have time to read anything leave alone books. I wonder how you guys find time for reading so many of them!!! Of late, I have been reading more of techie books than the fictions... those day are all over, I suppose.
ibix
Jeffery Deaver, J.K.Rowling, Stephen King, Agatha Christie
Jupernia
I have a few favourite authors:

V.C Andrews (the older works)
Steven King
Amy Tan

I would have more, but I tend to just read what I think looks interesting.
tar-xzv
Hello,

My fav is Charles Bukowski Smile The book is titled as Women.

5ani
JoeFriday
Joseph Heller: Catch-22
Gregory Maguire: Wicked
Anne Rice: The Witching Hour
Martyn Burke: The Commissar's Report
Dean Koontz: Odd Thomas / Forever Odd
Harper Lee: To Kill A Mockingbird
John Kennedy Toole: A Confederacy of Dunces
JamesBond
mine are:-

JRR Tolkien - The Lord of The Rings, Hobbit

John Grisham - The Broker

Dan Brown - The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress (Deception Point was the most hopeless book i've ever read)

APJ Abdul Kalam (the indian prez)- Ignited Minds

Norman Vincent Peale- Power of Positive Imaging
Keran
I guess Terry Pratchet
ck88
    J.R.R. Tolkien
    Arthur C. Clark
    Isaak Asimov
    Harry Harrison
    Piers Anthony
    Philipp J. Farmer
    Poul Anderson
    Terry Pretchett
    Douglas Adams
    David Niven
    Jerry Pournell
    Michael Moorcock
    Van Lustbader
okullar
dostoyevski is very nice
JoseRizal
i have a few favorites, none better than the other, since they write different genres.
  • Robert Ludlum - Thriller / Action
  • Stephen King - Horror / Suspense
  • Isaac Asimov - SciFi
  • Douglas Adams - Comedy
sevensealscomputing
Right now I'm into Robert Jordan (on the thosuandth GRR, in the middle of Lord of Chaos). Although since Memory of Light isn't out for a bit, I thought I'd go more towards Robert Parker. I prefer Jess Stone to Spenser for the most part right now (a wise-cracking feminist-tuned detective just doesn't do it for me as much as an alcoholic sherrif I guess).
ArthurBenevicci
There are several authors I have great respect for, but the following are probably my favorites:

C.S. Lewis
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: A collection of 7 childrens novels, in which verious children and adults alike travel to the magican world of Narnia, Earth, and lands in between.
  • Space Trilogy: A trilogy of 3 books written by Lewis including Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength.
  • Till we have faces: An excellent retelling of the myth of Cupid and Psyche, but from the perspective of Psyche's older sister Oural.
Roger Zelazny
  • The Chronicles of Amber: A series of 10 books, from the perspectives of Corwin, prince of the "true reality" of Amber, and later his son Merlin, King of the other "true reality" of Chaos.
  • The lord of Light: Zelazny's epic Hugo award winning novel of Sam, his return from Nirvana, and his campaign against the false Gods of his planet.
  • This Immortal: Set in a post nuclear-war Earth, the protagonist Conrad Nomikos is tasked with showing an Invading Alien leader the ruins of Earth, and becomes entangled with protecting his life.
J.K. Rowling
  • The Harry Potter series: 6 (soon to be 7) novels surrounding the life of young wizard Harry Potter, and his continued fight with the evil lurking in the world of magic.
George Orwell
  • Animal Farm: A satirical novella about a group of animals who take over their farm and form a totalitarian goverment.
  • 1984: The story of Winston Smith and his attempts at rebelling in a futuristic totalitarian government.
Robert Cormier
  • The Chocolate War: Follows the path of teenager Jerry Renault, as he attempts to rebel against a secret society in his school "The Vigils", and the consequences of doing so.
  • I am the Cheese: The protagonist being pyoung boy with a severe mental disorder, makes his way to his Father in Rutterburg Vermont. On his way he begins to remember his life leading up to this point.
  • After the first Death: The story of two terrorists that hijack a bus on children on their way to school, and the turmoil that ensues.
egbert
I like:

1. C.S. Lewis
2. Tolkien
3. Christopher Stasheff

The first two for their interesting plots and writing style, the third for his interesting plots and characters.
funstuff1501
My favorite contemporary author has to be Lawrence Block. His characters are wonderful and the dialogue in his stories is very easy and real. I love the Matthew Scudder series, and how real this character becomes. I loose all time when I read them.

Block also does the funny and entertaining Bernie Rohdenbarr "Burglar" series about a used books dealer who occasionally uses his expert burglar skills to supplement his income or help solve a mystery. The witty exchanges between Bernie and his friend Caroline are wonderful.
lordfrikk
Stephen King by far Cool Read almost every book, tale or scrap he ever wrote Very Happy
Liambaby
HP Lovecraft, in my opnion no-one else even comes close. When was the last time you were both terrified by a book?
pacsey
my favourite is agatha christie and maurice lablanc
but also these

Jennifer Fallon
Anne McCaffrey
Michael Crichton
William Corlett
Richard Laymon
Bruce Coville
Sandra Brown
Christopher Golden
V.C Andrews
Pierce Anthony
Tamora Pierce
freecitizen
Albert Camus.

Omar Khayyam.
palavra
my favorites

ahmet hamdi tanpinar
alev alatli
peyami safa
nurullah topcu
fethullah gulen
said nursi
omer seyfettin
tizziano
my favorites are niche (german) , Sadegh hedayat (persian)
welshsteve
AFter years of not reading much, I only recently (last 6 onths or so) got back into reading. My favourite author of all the books I have read so far has to be Dan Brown.
Son Goku
Hmmm....
- Dan Brown
- Stephen King
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
catscratches
To ck88: J.R.R. Tolkiens books are so boooring.

Terry Goodkind FTW! You just have to read them!
Weslyn
Terry Brooks most definately. He's the entire reason I started writing.
As a teenager I liked Christopher Pike - the Last Vampire series, at least.
Phillip Pulman - which is I think how it's spelled. I don't have my books in front of me... author of Golden Compass trilogy. Really very good if you haven't read it.
Tanith Lee, can you tell I like Fantasy...?
Neil Geiman, Rowling, (but I feel she's mentioned too much because there's a world of great authors.) Shakespeare, Poe, E. E. Cummings - right, I think that's his name - writes some fantastic poetry - poetry counts, yes?
I know I've read more... I'm sure they'll come to me. Hmm, whoever wrote Little Prince... children's book, but I came across it only a year ago and was captivated. Relatively short, chapter book with illustrations, about a prince who lives on a planet with a rose and meets this man on earth in the desert. Sounds odd, but it's lovely. Anyone?
evanc88
dave eggers and robert frost are my two absolute favorites. i'm also a big fan of vonnegut.
darth_revan
hmm... I hate R.A. Salavatore Very Happy I only read Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones. His (or her, i dont know Very Happy ) style is different. For example, he writes about an event, and when the adrenaline in my blood increases, he stops writing about that event and begins another one. I don't like his style..
NEurodrOne
Do away with all those bozos! Razz

Its Douglas Adams Hitchhiking all the way!! Twisted Evil
Weslyn
NEurodrOne wrote:
Do away with all those bozos! :P

Its Douglas Adams Hitchhiking all the way!! :twisted:

Ha ha. I haven't read the book, did see the movie. My boyfriend would agree with you. (He refuses to see the movie).
fianchesso
Poetry:
Sappho - whatever's left
Catullus - "Odi et amo"

Stories:
"The Little Prince"
and a close second: "The Giving Tree"
Alias
My favorite authors are as follows;

J.R.R Tolkien - Lord of the Rings

J.K Rowling - Harry Potter

U.K Le Guin - Earthsea
RoughitforGreen247
David Eddings, easily. I've read every book he has produced, except for High Hunt which I would really like to get around to reading one of these days. He is such a brilliant story teller, especially in his out of series novels like Belgarath the Sorcerer and Redemption of Althalus.
Blu_Spykz
My favourites are :

David Eddings
James Herbert
Stephen King
RallyMonkey
Max Barry
Chuck Palahniuk
Douglas Adams
Christopher Priest
666^.^666
anthony horowitz i love the alex rider series but hated the film!
raaeft1
My favourite author is Sri Aurobindo. His books are potent,mantric and spiritually powerful.
evanc88
I've just been getting into world literature and straying from only English authors and I'm happy for it. Dostoevsky, Camus, Kafka, Rushdie, they're all great writers and I can't believe I lived without them. They're some of the most insightful writers ever to have lived and I find it quite sad that America has very few writers of their caliber... The fact that Dan Brown is as praised as he is depresses me, no matter how interesting his otherwise shallow stories are (I have read all of Dan Brown's novels, so, yes, I am somewhat a hypocrite but I am at least not wasting wind by speaking an opinion not fully formed. I'm just picking on Brown because I've seen him mentioned a lot).
UCLighthouse
One of my favorite authors of all time is C.S. Lewis. Although his classic series "The Chronicles of Narnia" are very good and the Christian themes underlying them make them intriguing, I prefer "Mere Christianity" over them. In "Mere Christianity" he really highlights excellent argues for those how have never contemplated Christianity or those who always have some argument against it. However, as an author as a whole, all of what I have read has a strong Christian message and excellent scholarship attached to it. I love his logical arguments. I have never been disappointed by his works.
RoninRa
I have several favorites.

H.P. Lovecraft - The best horror writer of all times
Clive Barker - The only horror writer that can compare to HPL
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Especially when they write together)
J.R.R. Tolkien - Mostly because of the detailed world and backstory behind his books. Respect!
George R. R. Martin - Best political fantasy writer out there, no doubt!
quex
J.D. Salinger and Banksy... which is strange, because I don't think I'm all that revolutionary. o.o;
ethanbradley
Hmmm.... My most favorites would be Brian Jacques, and Ted Dekker.
I also like Frank Peretti, James Patterson, Timothy Zahn, and the various authors of the Star Wars Expanded Universe's books. Very Happy
Kev01234
I have to say that im a big lord of the rings fan. So I would have to go with Tolkien as my favorite author. However, for my favorite book im somewhat undecided. I liked the hobbit but ive read parts of the Iliad and if it really is "the greatest war story of all time" then I would vote for that.

I did particulary like a book I read a long time ago called "wing commander." It may be somewhat elementay but I like the concepts and such. It was kind of a starwars like book with lots of alien battles.
ergoe
Ack, such a hard question! When it comes to fiction, the most books I have are by Christopher Buckley, although I would really like to collect a lot of Haruki Murakami and Italo Calvino.

For non-fic, the author who fills up my shelves is Peter Mayle. I also plan to have a lot of Slavoj Zizek and Camus. Smile
roboguyspacedude
Philip Pullman
Robert Jordan
J.R.R. Tolkien
Bruhna
I am reading the book Captains of the Sand of the author Jorge Amado. The book is very good!
Risa
Dan Brown
Lemony Snicket
Terry Brook

I like the last one the most. Wink
Malchior
My favorite author would be Joanne Kathleen Rowling(author of the Harry Potter series). I know there are a lot of good authors that are not too known, but JKR would stand out. That authors of the Chronicles of Narnia and LoTR are really good and they might be better or as good as JKR, but theirs not much too many versions of their books. I mean, it would attract more readers if authors make continue their books until readers get bored of reading them. Laughing
oleszka
Marina Tsvetayeva
Ray Bradbury
Mikhail Bulgakov
Sergey Kozlov
Hellblazer
Howard Philips Lovecraft of course Razz ...
RoninRa
Hellblazer wrote:
Howard Philips Lovecraft of course Razz ...

H.P. Lovecraft really is one of the best authors.
He may have a strange wording in his stories, but wow what fantastical and disturbing stories he wrote!

He even did a bit of Fantasy with his dreamlands stories, which I just love.
Most peeps don't like the dreamlands ones tho for some reason..

A shame that there are so few *good* movie adaptations from his stories, I'm a bit scared to see the new Order of Cthulhu or what's-it-called that Hollywood is making nowadays..
kmvinodkm
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Anto Chekhov
Ivan Turganev
&
Shakespear
sondosia
I have a few: Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, Scott Westerfeld, Ned Vizzini, E. Lockhart, Curtis Sittenfeld, and Markus Zusak. That's mostly realistic young adult lit, but a bit of science fiction too.

~M~
Kev01234
I like a variety of authors, however I think I have enjoyed Tolkiens book the most out of all that I have read.

kevin
kurdt78
Matthew Reilley, Andreas Eschbach, Wolfgang Hohlbein, Henning Mankell, Ake Edwardson, Isaac Asimov, Peter Lauster.
SlugDragon
Gotta love the three 'B's...Baxter (Stephen), Bear (Greg), and Bradbury (Ray).
Silitheas
why i need to take so long list? Very Happy

1. J.R.R Tolkien
2. J.K. Rowling
3 C. Paolini
4 Garth Nix
5 R L Stine
6 France Bevk(Slovenia)
7 France Prešeren (Slovenia)
8 Eoin Colfer
9 umm... dont remember any more Very Happy
Bru, stuffce
I recommend the books of Robertson Davies. He is an incredibly literate and erudite man, and his novels reflect that, but not in the way that Umberto Eco does in Foucault's Pendulum. Davies is an entertainer of immense skill. His books are funny, clever, involving and educational at the same time.

I also love Terry Pratchett, but that's a given pretty much. Anyone who can read loves Terry.
cornga56
I would reccomend any books by Stephen Baxter if you like SciFi at all and if you're into physics and science at all. It's a base of true science with a bunch of theoretical science but it all comes together very neatly and doesn't seem far out from the storyline. The main character Reid Malenfant in some of his books is one of my favorite literary characters of all time. You ever just feel like you connect with a fictional character? That's kind of how I felt when I was reading.
smartpandian
I Love Reading Tamil (Indian Language) Novels..

My Favorite Author in Tamil..

Kalki Ra Krishnamurthy
Sujatha
Raa Ki Rangarajan
MotU2510
I really, really like the books by Robert Muchamore, both published and unpublished. I also quite like:

Anthony Horowitz
    Dan Brown
anita
I guess I'd be called an Anglophile. Some of my favorite writers are British and Irish, including Maeve Binchey and Rosamunde Pilcher. It's maybe a form of escape to a different environment. Most of Binchey's settings are in and around Dublin, Ireland, with excursions to Italy. Pilcher has her settings in Cornwall, Scotland and London. I like hearing the British phrases for things... it sounds so charming. Mr. Jones goes to "collect" Emily at the train station and puts her "parcels" in the "boot" of the car, has to swerve to avoid the "lorry". I also like Jane Austin, Edith Wharton, Anita Diamont. Anita
jabronie25
Stephen King
- Carrie
- Cujo
- The Shining
- It
- Storm of the Century
- Green Mile

Ray Bradbury
- Fahrenheit 451
AVA182
T.A. Baron
J.K Rowling
Louis Sachar
William Shakespeare
anonymous21
My favorite would be J.K. Rowling, Jim Henson, William Shakespeare, and William Golding.

They give me joy whenever I read their books - especially Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream. I also like Harry Potter and The Muppets... Smile
Arnir
Uh... So... My favorite writers...

1. J.R.R.Tolkien
15264125 ---> Others Razz

Hehe, Tolkien is the best. I don't know what to say... He spent all his life long creating Middle-Earth, his mythology, history, all those family trees... I had read LotR, Silmarillion, The Children of Húrin, The Hobbit and HoME hundreds of times, word for word. Tolkien fan(atic Razz)
Grahambel
Bruce Coville
Sandra Brown
Christopher Golden
Forever
SlugDragon
Forgot to mention some other greats...

Isaac Asimov, Turtledove (his SCi-Fi stuff, at least), and definitely Frank Herbert (Dune).

Gotta have my sci-fi stuff.
bulek
My favorites are:
- J. K. Rowling
- William Shakespeare
- Garth Nix
- J.R.R. Tolkien
- C.S. Lewis

That would be all Wink
kopnima
1. Arthur Hailey - love his books
2. Dan Brown
3. Mario Puzo
4. Joseph Heller
Coclus
I really like Tad Williams for fantasy..
Flavia
My favorite author is Stephen King. Always!
He's a genius! The way he describes the scenes, the details are so rich that you can actually live what he's writing... Awesome!
A_Jess_Dress
Jane Austen.

On the surface, it may seem as if her books are boring, PG-rated romance novels. BUT after reading Pride and Prejudice (which compelled me to read all her works), I see the philisophical dialogue between Jane Austen and the reader.

I don't particularly like nor understand her fragmented, run-on style of writing. This became totally irrelevant to me when I recognized how her characters used their limitations in society to their advantage! As the modern retelling in books and movies implies, this ability is useful even in today's society.

Even guys - try Pride and Prejudice!
Polten
I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman. Wonderful fantasy, not too weird or cruel, sometimes romantic. On his website you'll find some short stories. http://www.neilgaiman.com/exclusive/shortstories/
Great to get introduced.
LeatherRose
my #1 favorite by far is Francesca Lia Block, i have never read a book from her so far that i haven't liked/loved. i currently have read only 9 of her books. and whenever i get the chance i will buy more.

my #2 favorite author is J.K Rowling, because harry potter is my favorite book series.

my #3 Favorite author is Maggie Shayne...she is the author of the series "Twilight hunger" i just recently found out that it was a series...and i only read the 5th book..(woops) so now i have to buy the rest..
304esque
Terry Pratchett
Mercedes Lackey (only her fantasy genre. I don't like scifi >_<)
Robert Jordan (he's teetering on the edge =-=)

otherwise, I also read Mark.....something. Crap i can't recall his name!
filet
I love reading books from Roald Dahl. Witty, funny and simply brilliant.
Ducksteina
Graham Masterton
H.P Lovecraft
J.K Rowhling
Stephen King
Dan Brown
J.R.R. Tolkien
DivineLight
J.R.R. Tolkien for LOTR
Charles Dickens for The Great Expectations.
Daniel Defoe for Robinson Crusoe

never read many novels, but those I really enjoyed.
makifersoy
Charles Dickens.
Jane Austen.
Emily Bronte.
Charlote Bronte.
doppleganger
well seems the problem that i am facing is being faced by many of the people here

which is they like/love to read but are caught up in this web of work. family, friends etc that it becomes very difficult to dedicate quality time to read

i love dan brown a lot and i really freaked out on his DA VINCI CODE, also another of my favourite is mario puzo whose SICILIAN, GODFATHER I really liked
Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
amicalindia
DAN BROWN

all books....great author.

also like p.l.deshpande....never read such humor before.
yukinohime
I love to read being a bookworm. I mostly read manga (Japanese comics) but I'm not going to list those here. I don't remember very many authors that I really liked their works but these are the few that I read almost all of their books when they come out.

Laurell K. Hamilton - I enjoyed them better before all the sex but I still read them just because, lol.

Tamora Pierce - I started reading her works years ago and loved them so I continue to read them. Very Happy

Also I think her name is Patricia Briggs - I started reading her books for in between Hamilton books and was very happy that though it contains romance it's not the center-point like in the Hamilton novels.
rocker935
I know most of these are revolutionary authors but whatever.

Karl Marx
Frederich Engels
Gandhi
Che Guevara
Malcolm X
Martin Luther King Jr.
Edgar Allan Poe
Noam Chomsky
Maddo
Well, I have lots of interests in different subjects, so I actually need to name a writer for every genre, but I'll just name a few in no specific order.

- Thomas Harris (Hannibal Lecter series)
- Daniel Defoe (Robinson Crusoë)
- Mark Twain (Oliver Twist)

And of course some Dutch writers and some others whom I've forgot about.
futureal123
Rick Riordan / Scott Westerfield
dickyzin
Jane Austen is great. I just saw a movie about her called Becoming Jane and it's nice.
MaxStirner
[DELETED]
kiwi65
I love Melville
megwings
Neil Gaiman for American Gods and Neverwhere.
Ireon
Mercedes Lackey,
Margaret Weis,
Tracy Hickman,
James Patterson,
John Sanford,
Robert Ludlum.
roninmedia
While none of Tolkien's works are actually my favorite novels, he's the author of whose works I enjoy that have more than one good novel written by him.

I like novels like Starship Troopers by Heinlein and Ender's Game by Card, but when it comes to those respective author's other works, I am fairly disappointed at them and do not enjoy them.

Tolkien has written six novels of which I enjoyed reading so I placed Tolkien as my favorite author.
medievalman26
I kinda am starting to like TC Boyle. not necessarily favorite...but the Tortilla Curtain is a great book
iinteam
My favorites are:
S.E. Hinton
Fannie Flagg
J.K. Rowling
Phillip Pullman
Hollis Gillespie
Lisa Crystal Carver
Joyce Carol Oates
BCV36
I love Dan Brown too Smile
johnny99
im also a big fan of gabriel garcia marquez, not sure if i'd put him right up in my favorites though. at the moment that list would include:

William Maxwell
Brian Aldiss
W.G. Sebald
Peter Carey
georgeodowd
I used to have a really hard time with the 'favourite author' question. Then I picked up my first P. G. Wodehouse novel and now it's a pinch. Smile

(Other notables include Rowling, the Brontës, Sarah Waters, and Maria McCann)
Radar
Isaac Asimov, until I came to the point where I'd read almost all of his books...

Mostly series or single books apart from that.
skif_85
Chuck Palahniuk
Mario Puzo
karlos kastaneda
gink8000
My favorite authors are:
JK Rowling (of course)
Terry Pratchet
Eva Ibbotson
Diana Wynne Jones
Angie Sage
Micheal Scott
Chris D'Lacey
Holly Lisle
And the list goes on...
stel4e
Definitely Stephen King!!!!!!
Anshul_Jain
I think my favourite writer is Jeffry Archer. I have read many of his books like Kane & Abel, Prodigal Daughter, Sons of Fortune, etc. I think he is the best story teller all over Applause . His books contain all kind of spices like romance, sex, drama, emotions, suspense, etc. I found his stories very interesting & holding till the end.
He is also good at short story writing. I read his famous short story book A Quiver Full Of Arrows. The stories were very good. I found his way of presentation very good,his language simple & directly connecting to the people. Smile
slashnburn99
Havent really got a favourite Author but love biographys

Robbie Williams - Good
Simon Cowell - Great
George Best - ok

Books like that i find good
WicCaesar
Douglas Adams, J.K. Rowling, "Lemony Snicket", Stephen King, Agatha Christie, Anne Rice, Joisten Gaarder, Salman Rushdie.
Faraz
Sidney Sheldon!
the-blurb
hmmm definitely between Knut Hamsun and PG Wodehouse
Ghost Rider103
Tom Clancy by far.

I recently just started reading his books, and finally a book that actually interest me. I just got done reading one of the Net Force series, Hidden Agendas. Was a very interesting book.

I am now starting to read The Hunt for Red October. Which is a long book, almost 500 pages, but I have heard it is a very good book.
warriorpoets
Stephen King, J.R.R. Tolkien, Frank Herbert, Douglas Adams.
pmehta51
My favorite author is an Indian author “Ved vyas”. He is very very old author, believed to be lived about 5000 years ago. He has written many Vedic scriptures. One of which is widely known amongst “Indian” is “Shrimad Bhagvat”. The great thing about his books is that it teaches great virtues and states reality of human life. His books are based on real life stories. For example Bhgvat is based mostly krushna’s life. It also teaches how live good lives with virtues and to have patient for it. Those books are written in Sanskrit, but translations for most of them in different languages are available. His books make you feel that you have to be good person, and make you feel that you are a good person. I love reading his books.
nfneon
Minette Walters and Agatha Christie. They are deffinitely the best!
WicCaesar
Douglas Adams, J.K. Rowling, Stephen King, Agatha Christie, Conan Doyle, Anne Rice...
warriorpoets
Frank Herbert, Stephen King, Douglas Adams, Tolkien
hamza1122
My favrouite authors:
Duncan Ball- loved him when i was young- w00t go selby!
Roald Dahl- one of the best children's authors in the world! loved matilda, BFG and the witches
J.K Rowling- one of the best authors i've ever known in her field of writing.
R.L Stine and Christopher Spike were mad authors when it comes to thrillers.

Also like Stephen King, very good children's author for people aged 11+
bigt
My favorite author is C.S. Lewis.

John Grisham is a close second.
Tennisbollen
Like most others, it seems, Stephen King and Douglas Adams.
mydesign
Paulo Coelho rocks!!!!
Have you guys heard of him?!
mejo1900
Janet Evanovich..hands down. What can I say, I am a sucker for the mystery and Romance genre
jessicawalker
C.S. Lewis, Madeline L'Engle, Ken Follett, Alice Sebold, Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman, Ann Rice, Cormac McCarthy, Roald Dahl, Shel Silverstein, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Jack Kerouac, etc., etc... I can't make up my mind when it comes to authors and their styles.
Tuvitor
Frank Herbert
J.R.R. Tolkien
Stephen King

Those three usually sit at the top of my list with many others juggling in the positions below them.
Noremac
Mario Puzo. He has this way of making you question yourself, by making evil characters likeable etc.
author of my favorite, the godfather.
Joanne
Ahh, that'll be Robert Ludlum on the top list.
But before that, I started with Carolyn Knee (author of Nancy Drew) and Franklin W. Dixon (Hardy boys).
And I remember liking R.L. Stine back when I was in HighSchool.
Solon_Poledourus
In terms of storytelling, this is a tough one for me, as I like so many different styles. All around, I think my favorite is Alduous Huxley. I just love his ideas, and his vision.
After him, I think Gary Jennings is a great story teller, along with Tom Wolfe. Robert Fulghum is hilarious and sentimental at the same time.
And Chuck Palahniuk is just f***ed up, but in such a great way.
Gael_Knightley
I feel J.R.R is the best author ever! Here are my reasons:

1. J.R.R. Tolkien had studied classical literature for many years before writing his own classical novels. So the language used in it is very forceful and yet the story is very interesting.

2. He devoted his entire life to the composing of his novels spending several years on each. So his novels are as close to perfection as can be.

3. He paid great attention to minor details in his novels (like geographical features and climate, political structure and heritage, ethnicity and evolution etc). This made his novels seem realistic. Since he created his own world, explained its origin and showed us how it was shaped, it became believeable.

4. The protagonists in his novels are not exactly invincible. They have many weaknesses and fall prey to many enemies (e.g. The Hobbit - Bilbo Baggins was caught by the Trolls and had to be rescued by Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings - Frodo Baggins yields to the temptation of using the One Ring in the end, it was due to Gollum that the Ring was destroyed). This makes the other characters more important and makes the story more acceptable.

5. J.R.R. Tolkien makes very efficient use of speeches in his novels. They are very frequent and informative. Many descriptions are given through the speeches of various characters. This makes them in effect the narrators of the story and so the story seems to have been written by them (e.g. The Lord of the Rings - Bilbo compiles the story in the end). This is an effective technique since it enforces the idea that the imaginary world actually exists.

6. J.R.R. Tolkien writes to the point, avoiding to mention petty details like a certain characters views and feeling on a particular topic. He leaves enough clues for us to deduce them ourselves. This maintains our interest in the book and allows the reader to enhance his imagination.

7. J.R.R. Tolkien explains the central plot and causes of his story through various speeches (e.g. Council of Elrond - The Lord of the Rings). His reasons are simple and easily understandable. This makes the reader appreciate his efforts and acknowledge his novels as an epic.
melind
My favorite author is definitely C.S. Lewis. Even though I'm 19 years old, I still love the Narnia books! Its amazing that you can pick up on details in the books that you may have originally missed. I plan to read more of his works this summer. In particular I want to read his Space Trilogy.
chartcentral
My favorite authors are Franklin W. Dixon (Hardy Boys series), J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter series) and D.J. MacHale (Pendragon series). Smile
steve1200
my favourite author is absolutely Morton Rhue alias Todd Strasser!
Enterprise
To pick one favorite author would be really hard. There are several that I've read everything they've written, and some that I just discovered but still really love. I guess if I had to choose one, I'd go with Stephen King. Say what you will about the man, but he can write really, really well. I adore his books. But I also love Michael Crichton, Orson Scott Card, Ray Bradbury, John Grisham, and Frank Herbert.
pscompanies
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle FTW!

We see so much of this restlessness in our rootless and fast-changing society today. Perhaps that is one reason why Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books remain so very popular. As Sherlock Holmes defies the mind's capacity for reason and logical deduction, Holmes presents us with a worldview that is imminently sane, secure and predictable - the very antithesis of what Doyle found in his own life and what we often find in ours. In creating Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, and the cozy confines of Baker Street, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle performed a wonderful service to readers the world over - all of us armchair adventurers, puzzle lovers, and believers in the ability of the human mind to work out the intricacies of our world and put them in their place.
ibanezbenz
Tucker Max, Period.
he's been a famous online writer, and he is so good he is able to write a best sellers book, and soon to be one of the greatest movies of the year.

kutekitten
Must say, Terry Pratchett, his books have a very subtle irony/humour that makes them worth reading.
Tuvitor
Currently, I think my favorite writer is Douglas Adams, simply because I can read his books over and over so many times and they still don't get old.
phantombr
mydesign wrote:
Paulo Coelho rocks!!!!
Have you guys heard of him?!

I already liked a lot of Paulo Coelho. I have all the books until THE WITCH OF PORTOBELLO (2006). But since The Zahir, in my opinion, he declined. But my favorite book is still BRIDA (1990), therefore I can say that my favorite author is Paulo Coelho also.
welshsteve
I have enjoyed all five of the Dan Brown books, but I would say my favourite author is James Patterson, particularly the Alex Cross novels.
programitv
Stephan Zweig - His books are great and he explains in details the feelings, thoughts of his characters. I find his books so real.
saunah
I would have to say Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I know you all are familiar of him and his works.
toasterintheoven
Carl Jung, just finished reading Aion, he's such a brilliant mind
fladry
I just love sir Arthur Conan Doyle because of his creating sherlock holmes, which is one of my best book. I just love the writer and his creativity. Every story is an excellent creation in itself. And, he created lots of them... He was indeed a very creative writer.
Radar
It was Isaac Asimov for a while, until I discovered that I'd read almost all of his books.

I don't think anyone has come close since. I've followed authors for individual series, but never much beyond that. Arthur C. Clarke or Stephen Baxter are probably the authors that I've read for the most different, unconnected, number of books.
Asafe
Kafka and Macha do de Assis.
toasterintheoven
ken kesey is good, just finished one flew over the cuckoo's nest, thought it was great, though it was a tiring read at times because what it's about
Cheeldash
John R.R. Tolkien both for the writing style and development of the story.
gandalfthegrey
Fiction: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien.
Radar
Science fiction? Hard to deny Isaac Asimov, although it's been a while since I've read any of his works.
michaelagustin
EIICHIRO ODA was born January 1, 1975, author of one piece mangga Smile
Gh0stw4r
Brad Meltzer, Stephen King, Jorge Amado, José Saramago and Gabriel García Márquez.
anushashanker
Rick Riorden
J.K.rowling
Patrick Ness
J.R.R Tolkien
Eowen Colfer
Christopher Paolini
Philip Pullman
Suzanne Collins
gerald Durrel
james Heriott
Dan brown
Sophie Kinsella
Meg Cabot
Cornelia Flunke
I'm sure i left out quite a few. Very Happy
GoldenEagle
I like Michael Crichton's works. I took a read through Jurassic Park and was simply mesmerized. He has a really good understanding of the science behind his books and he doesn't put a lot of time into chracter development. It might seem kind of weird to people that like that sort of thing, but I just don't think that way. Crichton avoids that whole issue and just embellishes on the actions in hist stories.
donnuh
My favorite author is J.K Rowling of HArry Potter.

She was the one who created the Harry Potter books.
emanuel2
Stephen King is a quite good author in my opinion
Huntress
Tamora Pierce- The Lioness Rampant Quartet, Stieg Larson- The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo Trilogy, Charles Dickson, Edgar Allan Poe, John Grisham, Danielle Steel, etc. I can go on forever... lol!
JM_15
Meu autor favorito sou Eu Laughing
mazito
in this time is José Saramago

but in other times and alway in my heart, José Agustín, Permenides García Saldañana, Jorge Ibargoengoitia, Gabriel García Marquez
manverupl
Living Autors:
Jacek Piekara
Andrzej Sapkowski(The Witcher)
Dan Abnett
William Hussey
Gail Z. Martin
Paul Hoffman
Cinda Williams Chima

Dead Autors:
J. R. R. Tolkien
Frank Herbert
Karl Friedrich May
codersfriend
I'm beginning to like the works of Lovecraft. The past weeks I've been reading (listening actually to audiobooks) and I am interested especially in the Cthulhu Mythos stories.
codersfriend
My other favorite authors are
Conan Doyle (reading Sherlock stories),
Edgar Allan Poe,
and
Michael Crichton (for techno thriller stories)
Caily
Currently, my favorite author is Lindsay Buroker. She writes epic fantasy, some contemporary fantasy and dabbles into romantic suspense. I'm in love with her books, characters and writing.