FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

diy develope photographic images

fuzzkaizer
i heard about some possibilities to develope photographic images with different chemicals than silver bromide, easy to obtain in some drugstore and quite easy to handle, also cheaper, and so quite big sizes could be made -
so it is about impregnating some paper (?) with that chemistry, exposing it after that to the light of the desired image projection (as far as i remember for a far longer time than at the usual procedure), and then fixing the obtained image somehow with another chemical substance...

did any of you ever do something like that? what procedure did you try? how do the results work out? which chemicals could be recommended for that? i guess if someone has some understanding and experience in chemistry, there might be many ways to do that?

if i got a more precise idea about the whole thing, i might try that one day!
Josso
Yeah I've done quite a bit of developing and printing, you can build your own fairly easily in your house but you'd have to use it quite a bit, you need to get fresh chems (3 types) every so often. The enlarger is probably going to be the biggest cost but I'm sure you can pick one up cheap second hand, I personally always hated tray printing because it's so hit and miss, there was a B&W machine at the main darkroom I used that printed for you. Was very welcome piece of kit after doing all the test prints, neg development, etc before you even get round to printing anything. Photographic paper & 35mm is pretty reasonable price. Can't help you on the chemistry size though

Something I did a few years ago
fuzzkaizer
nice mess you have iside that radio, man! Very Happy nice foto also, of course!
working with photographic paper i know a little bit, and it is fun for shure, but what i'm rather looking for is a method to make sort of a DIY photographic paper, low tech and cheap of course...
last thing i heard about was an artist, who was painting walls with a certain photographic chemistry, exposing that wall to a slide-projection afterwards, to create an image of a several square-meters...
manongbob
wow what happen to that? lol looks so messy
fuzzkaizer
now i read about a procedure called "cyantotype" - here is the link to the wikipedia description of it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanotype
they say: "The world's largest cyanotype ... measured 46.81 square meters."
seems like this would be what i was looking for... if anyone has some experience about that, i'd be glad to read about them!
mistertoya
fuzzkaizer wrote:
i heard about some possibilities to develope photographic images with different chemicals than silver bromide, easy to obtain in some drugstore and quite easy to handle, also cheaper, and so quite big sizes could be made -
so it is about impregnating some paper (?) with that chemistry, exposing it after that to the light of the desired image projection (as far as i remember for a far longer time than at the usual procedure), and then fixing the obtained image somehow with another chemical substance...

did any of you ever do something like that? what procedure did you try? how do the results work out? which chemicals could be recommended for that? i guess if someone has some understanding and experience in chemistry, there might be many ways to do that?

if i got a more precise idea about the whole thing, i might try that one day!

I have never done this before
fuzzkaizer
looks like that isn't too much popular, otherwise maybe there would have been more response on the topic?