FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Java update screwed up my computer

standready
The last Java update added a bunch of different marketing pop ups to my Chrome and IE browsers. I have tried canceling them yet they are still there.
I have already deleted the darn Java. Don't need crap producing software on my machine.
Any suggestions??
Josso
Java update does have some bloatware like a toolbar or something of that nature if I remember correctly but it shouldn't have popups. Run a virus/malware scan.
supowski
Quote:
Java update does have some bloatware like a toolbar or something of that nature if I remember correctly but it shouldn't have popups.

That's correct. Java itself doesn't goes with any adds or marketing popups. I'm quite sure that the reason would be something else.
standready
Did malware/virus scans and opt out (again) on those darn marketing pop ups and I think problem solved.
Those pop ups did not appear until after Java update so I don't know what happen.
cybersa
standready wrote:
Did malware/virus scans and opt out (again) on those darn marketing pop ups and I think problem solved.
Those pop ups did not appear until after Java update so I don't know what happen.

I think it was not due to Java Update.
May be toolbar will be installed when you try to install any other software with malware.
Josso
Standready not sure what browser you use but you may want to check plugins/addons in the options menu and see if there's anything there that shouldn't be (on firefox for example)
zimmer
supowski wrote:
Quote:
Java update does have some bloatware like a toolbar or something of that nature if I remember correctly but it shouldn't have popups.

That's correct. Java itself doesn't goes with any adds or marketing popups. I'm quite sure that the reason would be something else.

Every software needs Java that is why i dont have a choice but to download also the updates even if its not good to look at on there interface.
amagard
Do you see the popups only on specific web sites ? If so, AdBlock for Firefox or Chrome might help here.
standready
amagard wrote:
Do you see the popups only on specific web sites ? If so, AdBlock for Firefox or Chrome might help here.

Pop ups were everywhere on Chrome and IE. Took a while but I have gotten rid of the problems. Still have not put Java back on my computer. Waiting until I really need it then will set a restore before installing.
Josso
Go to the site directly. Do not trust random windows.
https://www.java.com/en/

I was going to say verify the checksum but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the site
ScriptHunter
Lol same shit happened to me when i updated aswell,
I decided the only thing to do was to format, quick and easy.
Marcuzzo
I'm pretty sure that you didn't download from the java.com site but probably a wares site that just claimed that your java was out of date and you downloaded their crapware.

one of my daily tasks is (re)packaging software for deployment with System Center Configuration Manager.
when packaging the JRE I usually Extract the MSI's from the installer and create a transformation file with Orca to disable Automatic updates and what not.

The reason why I know you downloaded a virus is that:
1. Java will warn you with a system tray balloon that an update is available and will ask you to update. this is an automated process.
2. most if not all windows users will run as administrator privileges ( contained by UAC, ...but still ) so if your java was out of date, all you needed to do is click install now in the java update service dialog and it would start the update.

What I would do is run a virus scan. since your are already infected your Anti-virus/malware software didn't pick up the threat so you can't rely on that one.
I would even suggest using offline defender to scan the machine
standready
Marcuzzo wrote:
Java will warn you with a system tray balloon that an update is available and will ask you to update. this is an automated process.

Thanks for your input. I did update from the system tray balloon though. Those sneaky 'hackers'. Next time I get a notice, I will blow it off and go directly to corporate site to check for updates.
zarawatsonn
All this popups is not because of any java update, this may be cause due to the presence of unwanted mallicious software in your system.
badai
is it me, or people from india always joined then keep digging up old topic giving their 2 cents for already resolved issue?
deanhills
Probably not a good idea to stereotype Badai, but agreed, this topic has exhausted itself a very long time ago. Time to close it.