FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How Secure are Uploaded Files.

Possum
Hi

I don't use the the web interface to upload files to the FriHost server. I know they will be secure. I use FTP (FileZilla).

How secure is this method..?

Thank You...
RosenCruz
Possum wrote:
Hi

I don't use the the web interface to upload files to the FriHost server. I know they will be secure. I use FTP (FileZilla).

How secure is this method..?

Thank You...

That is pretty secure as far as I know. The only other way would be Secure FTP (SFTP), which might or might not require root rights
Josso
Yeah SFTP is great, if you don't have access to that a good thing to do is put your files in a RAR archive, set a secure password and tick "encrypt file names". AES is a good encryption, think winrar is 128 or 256
badai
The transmission itself is not secure, especially in text mode. anybody with the right skill can easily see the whole text file. Binary mode is a bit different. You need almost the whole file to "make sense" of the information, and as each packets might be send to different port, people/bot might "think" it's a packet from different app. Beside, too much packet to capture and put back in sequence for normal ftp operation. Not really worth it.

The real question is, how secure is frihost server. You need to worry about that because it's much easier to get into a server than to capture packet in transmission.
deanhills
badai wrote:
The real question is, how secure is frihost server. You need to worry about that because it's much easier to get into a server than to capture packet in transmission.
Great question Badai. Particularly after our last transfer of Server 2/3 from the US to Germany. Bondings said as much that there were a number of things that would need to be recoded and tweaked. Which he obviously hasn't done in several weeks, getting to be months now. So nothing as bad for security as no Admin around to check on the finer things. For the major things I think we are secure. As he must be with a very good and secure place in Germany AND Bondings has a great nose for when things are not quite right with the servers. But for the little things - like vulnerability in uploads and downloads and script kids going wild with attacks - they will find a way eventually if there is no Admin around to stay one step ahead of them.

I don't know whether this is better, but I usually use the File Manager for most of my Website uploads, but then I don't have large Websites. More like plenty of Websites. File Manager says it has a cut off of 2GB, but I've uploaded files as much as 3GB once. If I can, I try to use File Manager as a first preference, then FileZilla if I need to upload something huge. I used to use Microsoft Expression Web, but that I think is a total risk with Windows Explorer. I stopped using it months ago. Just started a brand-new computer and haven't used Internet Explorer yet for any browsing. Not sure I will other than checking out Websites I create.
Possum
thx everyone.... Great selection of answers..