FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Raise Maximum Points for Posts

Should the upper level for points possible to earn from a single post be raised?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

CreativeVeganCooking
I think the upper level of points possible to earn from a post should be raised. For example, if you write a really great article you want to share, you do not get rewarded for all the work you put into it you can only get a maximum of five (5) points even though the length of the article and the effort put into it deserves perhaps ten (10) points.

And if the managers of this site are concerned that people will write a long post of nonsense just to earn points, I have two ideas to solve this. (1) There should be a checkbox below the post (where there are the checkboxes for disabling smiles, etc.) which you could check if the post is an article, and if the box is checked, the post will be reviewed by some reviewers, who will see if the post is acceptable and then reward the extra points. (2) There should be a poll where users can accept a post as an article worthy of extra points.

However, I think the easiest solution would definitely be to just raise the level of possible points earned from a post to perhaps ten (10).

What do you think?
Peterssidan
This is a forum so people very seldom write "articles" here, and if they do it's usually copy pasted from somewhere else. Sometimes too much text is just too much to read through. The quality of a post is not necessary better if it's long. It's not hard to write a lot of text, it's much harder to write a shorter text that contains the same relevant information as the long text.
RosenCruz
I m ok with it. It can be raised if need be, but points system is not actually that important since all account suspension etc are handled manually and earning a few extra won't give you much. Same with thing with the free domain too. They are not given in exchange for 350 points, so more points dont equal anything around here practically
deanhills
I think the points become pretty meaningless when Bondings is not around. Fun to see the stats but doesn't really mean anything. Hosting accounts probably only get suspended automatically when they exceed the bandwidth or disk space allocation. Not when one has failed to log the required number of points in order to keep one's hosting.
CreativeVeganCooking
RosenCruz wrote:
Same with thing with the free domain too. They are not given in exchange for 350 points, so more points dont equal anything around here practically

I am not sure I understand (hey, I am new!). The points can be converted to coins, which can be used to purchase a domain, right? So, I mean, the points count in some way (at least when you really need that domain). Smile
deanhills
CreativeVeganCooking wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
Same with thing with the free domain too. They are not given in exchange for 350 points, so more points dont equal anything around here practically

I am not sure I understand (hey, I am new!). The points can be converted to coins, which can be used to purchase a domain, right? So, I mean, the points count in some way (at least when you really need that domain). Smile
The idea with the coins are to reward those who make posts in excess of the 45 points on a day to day basis. One earns coins for the points that have been earned in excess of the 45 points in any given day.

Here is how it works and how the points are calculated for coins:
http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-119180.html
badai
it used to be where i can keep my points at 45 for days.

it has nothing to do with the maximum per post. it has more to do on how active users are. if somebody post something that we can engage on it, then we will get enough to last for 1 month on each visit here (just 9 replies).

lately not much activities and/or the post not really interesting and/or just plain stupid it's not worth to be even posted here, like suggesting to get 45 points in 1 post.

what's next? remove the upper limit of 45 points?
kaysch
CreativeVeganCooking's idea sounds appealing at first sight. And when I was new to Frihost I did not understand this rule either that you only get a maximum of 5 points per post. After all, if somebody spends a lot of time writing a lengthy post why should that not be rewarded?
On the other hand I think that the cap incentivizes people to participate regularly and actively in the forum on a "keep it short and simple" basis. And short texts are usually easiert to read for the others.
On balance I think the cap of 5 points is fine.
By the way, the length of an article does not say anything about its quality. A short text may not make any sense. And you can have a long text full of nonsense, too.
CreativeVeganCooking
kaysch wrote:
CreativeVeganCooking's idea sounds appealing at first sight. And when I was new to Frihost I did not understand this rule either that you only get a maximum of 5 points per post. After all, if somebody spends a lot of time writing a lengthy post why should that not be rewarded?
On the other hand I think that the cap incentivizes people to participate regularly and actively in the forum on a "keep it short and simple" basis. And short texts are usually easiert to read for the others.
On balance I think the cap of 5 points is fine.
By the way, the length of an article does not say anything about its quality. A short text may not make any sense. And you can have a long text full of nonsense, too.

I see what you mean, kaysch. Thank you!
deanhills
kaysch wrote:
Well said. Also the five points don't reflect quality, just straight quantity. Although strangely enough though, you rarely find five point posts that are really bad quality. Unless they were copy paste of course or broke the rules for putting things in quotes. But usually the people who write the longer posts do tend to post quality as well. Or are trying any way. In the end "quality" is probably always in the eye of the beholder. Razz
tonberry
I think it's a bad idea. People would just paste long articles to quickly get more points. Five point max is a good value, not to little not too much.
Ankhanu
tonberry wrote:
I think it's a bad idea. People would just paste long articles to quickly get more points. Five point max is a good value, not to little not too much.

They'll try... but they do that now too. I'm not sure that raising the points cap will really change anything. We do address these abuses of the Frih rules and abuses of the points system almost every day.
sonam
Actually the frihost member who have anything to say will not care about points. We can see lot of good posts what is enough long for 10 or 15 points. But rising maximum number of points per post is not good idea. I think 5 points is optimal for keeping spammers from copy/paste text and/or writing useless posts.

Sonam