FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How deadly is Ebola?

Peterssidan
The news often mention that the fatality rate of Ebola can be up to 90% but the fatality rate of the current outbreak seems to be considerably lower (closer to 60%). Are they trying to make Ebola sound more dangerous than it really is?

Many people in the affected areas seem to not trust the health care workers and instead prefer more traditional methods. I guess this could mean that many people getting Ebola and survive is never reported, but if they die they are more likely reported, leading to overestimated fatality rate. I don't know if earlier outbreaks has been like this but isn't there a chance that the record number 90% is a huge exaggeration?

All major outbreaks has been in Africa so I guess many of the affected people are poor and are less prepared to handle the disease compared to if it happened in a more rich country. I guess this could have an impact on the fatality rate too.
Osmium
It depends on the strain. Some strains are more virulent than others. The disease will evolve depending on what it meets in it's environment (other virii for example) and through mutation.
Peterssidan
Osmium wrote:
It depends on the strain. Some strains are more virulent than others. The disease will evolve depending on what it meets in it's environment (other virii for example) and through mutation.

That's why it's so misleading saying Ebola has a fatality rate of up to 90% when talking about the current outbreak.
Osmium
Yes, indeed!

The news agencies tend to adopt a strategy of focusing on the fear as that tends to get more people watching or buying newspapers.

I see the WHO has just declared an international emergency.
Peterssidan
Osmium wrote:
I see the WHO has just declared an international emergency.

I have no doubt that it's a serious disease. I'm just questioning how accurate the numbers are.
grofet
There is no cure for ebola right now. I think ebola is very very deadly for human.
Osmium
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-28713923
Peterssidan
Thank you Osmium, that article was really helpful, but unfortunately it doesn't say anything how reliable the numbers are. How many unreported cases are missed.
grofet
I hope someone can make the cure and save people infected with ebola disease. Ebole is extremely dangerous for human.
zimmer
grofet wrote:
There is no cure for ebola right now. I think ebola is very very deadly for human.

That is what i heard on the news.. It must be very scary if it become outbreak.

I just remember the movie Zombies or World Z (i am not sure exactly on the title but the actor is Brad Pit).

I think every country must protect there own citizen to avoid that ebola enter to other countries.

Shocked
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
Osmium wrote:

That's why it's so misleading saying Ebola has a fatality rate of up to 90% when talking about the current outbreak.
Could the percentage be relative to the available resources for treating it and the regional influences, level of sophistication, level of education and degree of hygiene? If there are plenty of resources to treat the ebola in ideal hygienic and sophisticated educated communities like in the US or Spain, even in the larger cities of Western Africa, the statistics would be much more reduced than in the rural areas of Western Africa where the ebola originated from. Ebola may have a fatality rate of 90% in those areas because of lack of resources to recognize and treat it and unhygienic and uneducated circumstances which would cause ebola to spread faster and look more virulent.
mshafiq
I think ebola virus is very dangerous and my little son has a lot information about this.
zimmer
mshafiq wrote:
I think ebola virus is very dangerous and my little son has a lot information about this.

nice.. i guess your son do more research than you. lol

this virus is been for a decade but maybe no funding so that no cure was discover.
Afaceinthematrix
You also have to consider the fact that the symptons for Ebola are pretty much the same as all sorts of other diseases that are rampant in that area (malaria, cholera, etc.). Someone very simply may not know that they have Ebola until it is far too late.

Ebola is very dangerous. I was in Sierra Leone from way before the outbreak up until just a few weeks ago and so I was there for a large part of the outbreak. I can tell you from experience about the dangers of this disease. The biggest danger is that the area is not equipped to handle this crisis and even with substantial outside help, the infrastructure is still not there to handle this outbreak.
kaysch
Peterssidan, you may be right on this one. I am not sure who does the statistics and whether government, help organisations or journalists involved have an interest to mention a high number but it may well be the case. After all, international help is one of the major sources of GDP for those countries involved, it is the financial basis of most non-government organisations and people prefer journalists to exaggerate rather than to downplay issues so they will tend to satisfy that interest.

But whatever the real number is I think it is out of the question that Ebola is a pretty nasty epidemic that somehow got out of control. And whether it has a 60% or 90% mortality rate does not really matter for making sure you don't get infected.