FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cannot get Linux to work with my HP Pavillion a822n

SpaceInvader75
I have a garage sale computer, which I thought would be fine for browsing the web and other tasks, since a new computer really still isn't in the budget yet. The problem is it has Windows XP so I can't update the OS, and the computer is worth less than a newer version of Windows would cost.

So my temporary solution was just to run Linux on it for now; I wanted to try out Linux anyway. The problem is none of my attempts to burn Linux onto a CD have worked. It looks like it is working; in fact it will start to boot, but it always freezes, and I get an error message that says something about "kernel panic." I've tried different versions of Linux. The last one I tried was Puppy Linux.

It could possibly be my CD burner; I could try burning the CD on another computer, if I borrow one today I will try that. I tried to put Puppy Linux on a USB drive; I downloaded the ISO file and downloaded another program called 7z, which I read I was supposed to use to copy the ISO file onto the flash drive, but when I try to boot it gives me a disk error.

If I can't get Linux to run, I may just save up $150 and get an HP Phenom X4 desktop on Ebay. I could probably build one from used parts, but I would not be able to use Windows7 OEM if I did that, so it would defeat the purpose of saving money (although it would probably be more fun).
Peterssidan
When it boots from CD do you see a menu or does the problems start even before that?
SpaceInvader75
I can try it again to verify, but I remember I don't get to put any input in. It looks like it's loading but it freezes up.
rx9876
I think the iso / cd-rom damage is very rare.
Maybe it's the computer have some devices without proper drivers in that Linux version.
If you could boot in Windows XP, check the hardware,
and check the compatibility with the Linus version you want to use.

Hope it works for you.
Peterssidan
Are you sure you burned the ISO correctly? You should not extract the content of the ISO file before burning the content.
SpaceInvader75
I suspect my hardware, but I also know very little about Linux. I've burned a bootable Linux CD on another computer that I used to unlock a windows password before; I could use that as a test, I guess. I think every single linux I've tried to burn for this computer freezes before it finishes booting, so I'm not 100% sure, but thinking it is somehow hardware related.
Marcuzzo
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
I have a garage sale computer, which I thought would be fine for browsing the web and other tasks, since a new computer really still isn't in the budget yet. The problem is it has Windows XP so I can't update the OS, and the computer is worth less than a newer version of Windows would cost.

So my temporary solution was just to run Linux on it for now; I wanted to try out Linux anyway. The problem is none of my attempts to burn Linux onto a CD have worked. It looks like it is working; in fact it will start to boot, but it always freezes, and I get an error message that says something about "kernel panic." I've tried different versions of Linux. The last one I tried was Puppy Linux.

It could possibly be my CD burner; I could try burning the CD on another computer, if I borrow one today I will try that. I tried to put Puppy Linux on a USB drive; I downloaded the ISO file and downloaded another program called 7z, which I read I was supposed to use to copy the ISO file onto the flash drive, but when I try to boot it gives me a disk error.

If I can't get Linux to run, I may just save up $150 and get an HP Phenom X4 desktop on Ebay. I could probably build one from used parts, but I would not be able to use Windows7 OEM if I did that, so it would defeat the purpose of saving money (although it would probably be more fun).

with my little experience with linux I've found out that kernel panics are usually related to hardware issues.

try one of the lightweight distros like knoppix or slitaz and see if you can get that working. they don't rely that heavily on hardware.

regarding booting over USB, the drive should be formatted to FAT23 and the partition 'should' be made active, you can do that in disk management or even with diskpart but I'd say get unetbootin and it will take care of everything
Peterssidan
Have you tried an older version of Linux? I had some problems with my hardware and Linux 3 it seemed, not as serious as kernel panics, but still... After installing Debian Squeeze which uses Linux 2.6 it works much better. Maybe worth a try?
jaeha
I agree that it could be some H/W supportability issue. Ubuntu has most popular and support wide range of H/W drivers, http://www.ubuntu.com/

If the computer can be boot from USB, then try it first.
SpaceInvader75
I'm pretty sure I tried different versions of Linux. But now I have a new computer, so I should be able to test that "theory". It's more of a guess than a theory. lol But I will try to burn a linux ISO on my Dell computer and see if it works.
zarawatsonn
Try to change your BIOS settings, may be it can solve this issue or you can go for lod version of linux. It may be support your system.