FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Socialnetwork

rtm516
Im scripting a social network at the moment.

Does anyone have any tips?

Or tricks?

Any help would be appreciated.
RosenCruz
Wow... From scratch ? Keep us updated Wink
dude_xyx
You can get plenty of ideas for free social media scripts like IsVipi, Jamroom, Amun, Dolphin, pH7 etc. Why do you build one from the scratch ???
rtm516
RosenCruz wrote:
Wow... From scratch ? Keep us updated Wink

Here is the link http://cloudznet.tk
Updates will be posted here
FYI: im only 14

dude_xyx wrote:
You can get plenty of ideas for free social media scripts like IsVipi, Jamroom, Amun, Dolphin, pH7 etc.

Thanks will check them out.

dude_xyx wrote:
Why do you build one from the scratch ???

I want to make it from scratch. Im very interested in learning php so i thought that making a social network was a good way of doing it. Also when in finished i can use it to get my GCSE grade up (for ICT).
Simonjw
This is definitely a massive task to take on your own, even if it is a simple social network. I have a team of programmers at my finger tips and we haven't really even touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to functionality of a good, reliable social networking engine.

How are you coding this social network, php? If php are you using OOP which will make your life easier?

We build all our systems with OOP in mind, well really we have built everything before we even started taking on clients.

Examples:

1. Log in & Registration Systems
2. Messaging Systems - IM and Support
3. User Profiling - Services, Products, Posts, Comments etc etc
4. Single/Multiple File Upload Systems
and many more

Keep in mind these are modular, so we can create them once, separately and then link them together as need for clients with a few tweaks to be exactly how the client wants.

There are quite a few YouTubers that teach you enough knowledge to getting a social network up if you haven't already seen them. Examples: HowCode, Francis has made a Facebook Clone Tutorial as well as a YouTube Clone Tutorial and Alex at PHP Academy has started one too as well as teaching you all you need to know about PHP coding.

I wish you all the best in your project and hope you succeed to your expectations Smile

Cheers
johans
rtm516 wrote:
Im scripting a social network at the moment.

Does anyone have any tips?

Or tricks?

Any help would be appreciated.

I suggest to use Joomla platform where you can have social network add ons.

If you do it in scripting from scratch that would be more even better.

Good luck!
deanhills
Simonjw wrote:
This is definitely a massive task to take on your own, even if it is a simple social network. I have a team of programmers at my finger tips and we haven't really even touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to functionality of a good, reliable social networking engine.

How are you coding this social network, php? If php are you using OOP which will make your life easier?

We build all our systems with OOP in mind, well really we have built everything before we even started taking on clients.

Examples:

and many more

Keep in mind these are modular, so we can create them once, separately and then link them together as need for clients with a few tweaks to be exactly how the client wants.

There are quite a few YouTubers that teach you enough knowledge to getting a social network up if you haven't already seen them. Examples: HowCode, Francis has made a Facebook Clone Tutorial as well as a YouTube Clone Tutorial and Alex at PHP Academy has started one too as well as teaching you all you need to know about PHP coding.

I wish you all the best in your project and hope you succeed to your expectations Smile

Cheers
Guess that's the reason then while there aren't that many competitors of Facebook. People don't recreate, they buy these places.
Simonjw
deanhills wrote:
Simonjw wrote:

Examples:

and many more

Cheers
Guess that's the reason then while there aren't that many competitors of Facebook. People don't recreate, they buy these places.

It's possible someone or even a team could create something just like Facebook, but they would need to have a better feature rich system to be competitive as Facebook will hold the space for a long long time. It's basically recreating the wheel which in most cases is never a good idea.

We need to recreate the world, so in my idea, a new Social Network would have to be run on some new technology that Facebook would not have touched or even know about.

Look at Google Plus for instance, they failed big time, but the only reason they are still around is Google is a mega company with the resources and they kind of focused a bit more on business and YouTube integration.
Simonjw
deanhills wrote:
Simonjw wrote:

Examples:

and many more

Cheers

It's possible someone or even a team could create something just like Facebook, but they would need to have a better feature rich system to be competitive as Facebook will hold the space for a long long time. It's basically recreating the wheel which in most cases is never a good idea.

We need to recreate the world, so in my idea, a new Social Network would have to be run on some new technology that Facebook would not have touched or even know about.

Look at Google Plus for instance, they failed big time, but the only reason they are still around is Google is a mega company with the resources and they kind of focused a bit more on business and YouTube integration.
deanhills
Simonjw wrote:

I'm almost certain there is a niche for much smaller social networks. Like one doesn't have to attempt a Google Plus. One could start very small with a local community. And find a way to do it differently enough so that it has an impact factor.
RosenCruz
The link is not working for me.

Hope you are doing a great work there Wink
Simonjw
deanhills wrote:
Simonjw wrote:

I'm almost certain there is a niche for much smaller social networks. Like one doesn't have to attempt a Google Plus. One could start very small with a local community. And find a way to do it differently enough so that it has an impact factor.

You're totally correct in saying it, there are many niche areas that could be based on a community and even be high in profit, but to find such a one is the difficult task. Although here we are at Frihost and well it's a social network as such and it is a really good niche.