FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best hosting os

rtm516
Hello guys what do you think is the best os for hosting webservers and databases and stuff like that?
dude_xyx
Anything Based on Linux. I use CentOS for my VPS. You need Linux to install many useful software like cPanel. Also it's free and if you want a Windows server then you need to pay a lot.
Peterssidan
Yeah, I also say Linux because it's free and there are a lot of free software you can install, and it's easy to find solution to problems online.
Da Rossa
I will "third" what dude_xyx and Peterssidan. Since we're not talking about a end-user desktop OS, Linux is the way to go. Things just work fine and they're (in theory) free. Of course you'll pay for the hosting and for some support if you go for a enterprise solution. But that's it.
RosenCruz
I use CentOS Minimal x86 on my VPS server with a free hosting control called Vesta CP.

I host a few Wordpress blogs on it works just fine.

Debian is another popular choice.
johans
Linux i think.
Marcuzzo
The question was "What is the Best OS for hosting webservers?"

first of all, I'm pissed at something else but I need to ventilate a little Very Happy so here come the ranting:

1. Linux is not an OS but a Kernel, period, not an OS!

2. "Linux Hosting" is a marketing strategy: as long as you're in a shared environment you will never get to see the linux part unless you're managing the server. And because you read "'linux' hosting" your brain will see "'cheap' hosting".
Like here on Frihost, these (virtual) machines are ALL running on linux ( my best guess is Debian )/.

As for the actual OS
IMO Linux distributions are a better for web hosting because you only need to pay for the (Virtual) Machine. don't get me wrong as a systems administrator I love windows server but that is usually related to software/OS deployment.

There are 2 mayor types of hosting you will come across when searching for hosting.

1. (Dedicated) Virtual Private Servers
This one is also split up into several segments.
Where some providers let you access the machine with ssh or install your own distribution of choice manually others may provide you with a list of "supported" Operating systems.
when you go for a VPS you need to consider a lot more then just the code. you need to secure the server, keep it updated and so on.

2. Reseller Web Hosting
Most hosting providers you will find will be reseller hosting providers.
2.a. Frihost is a reseller. (except you don't pay money but you post )
To become a reseller you can either buy a reseller hosting package at a provider OR you can get a costly VPS and do it yourself.

now, OP, with that information... what are you going to do with it?!
ephedrandrox
I prefer OpenBSD because of its security though it will be more of a hassle to set up. Worth the time learning.
quanmechanix
Just use a Linux Distribution which has many sources and packages that are reliable. The more sources and packages your Linux Distribution you have, the more powerful and the more utility tools you can rely on when it comes to tedious and hard tasks. Cool
Simonjw
Marcuzzo wrote:
The question was "What is the Best OS for hosting webservers?"

first of all, I'm pissed at something else but I need to ventilate a little Very Happy so here come the ranting:

1. Linux is not an OS but a Kernel, period, not an OS!

2. "Linux Hosting" is a marketing strategy: as long as you're in a shared environment you will never get to see the linux part unless you're managing the server. And because you read "'linux' hosting" your brain will see "'cheap' hosting".
Like here on Frihost, these (virtual) machines are ALL running on linux ( my best guess is Debian )/.

As for the actual OS
IMO Linux distributions are a better for web hosting because you only need to pay for the (Virtual) Machine. don't get me wrong as a systems administrator I love windows server but that is usually related to software/OS deployment.

Marcuzzo,

Linux is an operating system that evolved from a Kernel, so there is somewhat a valid point in your statement. "Linux" is just an interface between hardware and the apps/services/software which a user runs on it.

All hardware chips need a kernel to tell them what a piece of software needs them to do, without a kernel the system will not exist. Linux is far more than a Kernel now as IT IS an Operating System because we use it as an alternative to other Operating Systems like Windows, MS-DOS, Mac OS etc.

Just because it was started as a Kernel, doesn't mean it was to stay that way, the same as Windows was once just a Kernel and then was built upon.

But that's just my rant for this part Smile

Simon
korryaldrin
Linux Any time
Simonjw
So it's been a while since I posted here and after this while away and all the odd things that have happened to me personally and to others in the online world, I will have to say any OS with server capabilities could be the better OS.

It is all down to your preferences as well as what you are going to be using the server for on a daily basis. I've been working on a few corporate LTSP networks and I'd love for them to run solely off Linux as less would be spent on hardware as well as a smaller turnaround time when setting up and debugging, but we are still struggling with full support for software and apps on Linux. However, there is a client I am moving to a fully Linux based network as they have good internet and they can use cloud docs and other cloud software for their users.

Other than that, hosting a website or application on Windows or Linux servers is entirely up to you. There are pros and cons either way you go that range from security to resource usage as well as ease of access.

Let me know what OS you use and if you have run into a time you've had to change things up..

Simon
k_s_baskar
I am using Centos 32 with Apache and PHP. In my opinion LAMP is the best for webserver.
Simonjw
k_s_baskar wrote:
I am using Centos 32 with Apache and PHP. In my opinion LAMP is the best for webserver.

For me it is probably the best choice. However, I will take the 64bit over the 32 any day due to the architecture.

I actually use Centos for Telecoms distributions too with the SipXes (Sipfoundry) Private Branch Exchange/Cloud telecommunications software. I have found literally everything works best with Centos from installation to real time running in multitudes of cenarios.

Are you just running a LAMP stack or have you customised it at all to add anything else to the stack?

Cheers,
Si
Marcuzzo
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle)]LAMP[/url] is just a 'bundle".
you can create a LAMP with any linux distro: Get the debian netinstaller, install only the core system and ssh, add apache, mysql and php and you've got a LAMP server... nothing fancy.

Apache is also no longer the de facto webserver, I see a lot of servers running nginx

If I have to set up a server ( web, file, whatever ) I try to keep it as minimal as possible and with the least amount of packages.
Josso
What do you think is best for a pi? I run apache perfect on it but I had a few issues installing PHP (raspbian)
Simonjw
Josso wrote:
What do you think is best for a pi? I run apache perfect on it but I had a few issues installing PHP (raspbian)

Go with the offering based on Pi, so far it is the most versatile for me. But I haven't tinkered too much with the Pi other than making cheap clusters for telecoms etc
Marcuzzo
Josso wrote:

no experience with PI's (yet, I'm going to buy one as my birthday present in april... possibly earlier Very Happy )

I do have experience with debian and I expect ti will roughly the same.
there's an article on their own website on setting up an apache webserver
RosenCruz
CentOS 6.5 is my stable Linux Hosting OS. I use it on my many VPSes
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
CentOS 6.5 is my stable Linux Hosting OS. I use it on my many VPSes
Good! Then I'm on the right track. It's all I've been using for the last two years. Together with Webuzo Control Panel. I currently have an Interserver VPS (cheap one) and they even have a linux Centos distro with built in Webuzo control panel. Razz
Da Rossa
I'm not saying from personal experience but my techie friends would recommend CentOS or, if you can pay, RHEL. CentOS is very solid.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
I'm not saying from personal experience but my techie friends would recommend CentOS or, if you can pay, RHEL. CentOS is very solid.
I've just recently had experience with setting my VestaCP up with CentOS with both Apache and Nginx. Now that works together very well for greater speed of Websites. Drawback of each is that apache is hard on memory whereas nginx needs help of php-fpm for dynamic content. So the best of both is being used so apache is processing the back end of the server and nginx being a static web server on the front.

Refer for detailed setup: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-nginx-as-a-reverse-proxy-for-apache
william
Man, I need to finish setting up my VPS at some point (though it seems I'm falling behind on a lot of things). Laughing

I gave CentOS a go when I first got my VPS, but yum just didn't sit well with me. No idea why, and the package availability in its repositories also felt lacking to me.

I switched to Debian pretty quickly and things were smooth sailing. I think I finished installing the LEMP stack but had to work on something else at that point and didn't continue. Perhaps I know what I'm doing this weekend.

So, personal preference? Probably Debian. Though I've only used Debian and CentOS on my VPS, and Ubuntu on a local server. I know that corporations often want software specifically developed for RHEL and its downstream products, like CentOS, so I'm not sure what I'm missing by preferring Debian. I imagine it's probably the level of support.