FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Office Suite

misterdimiz
Wich Office Suite do you use?

I like OpenOffice.org (freeware).
Bookface
OpenOffice.org is not yet as good in a few key feature areas as MS Word, for me as a power-user, but for most users it'll be just as good or better and free.

Even the more advanced feautures are getting there, and I expect them to have fully caught up by the end of 2006... and as I'm on Linux I'd rather be using free software than emulating Windows. Razz

Besides, the scripting support is way better, and that's what I care about most. Also the basic tools are all there and import/export to uninformed Word users has improved significantly with version 2.0.
Arnie
Microsoft Works was delivered with my laptop, but I usually only need text processing, and being in favour of RTF I use Atlantis Nova. That's a quite old and light freeware editor.

I dislike both MSO as OOo for their 'weight'. They take very long to load, eat chunks of memory, you name it. AbiWord does a better job, but that's only a word processor. Still it's possible to compose an office suite of a lot of different freeware lightweight applications. If you search well you'll find freeware spreadsheet and presentation programmes that aren't connected to a big - usually heavy - suite. For me, those have enough functions, but of course most people have more powerful hardware than me and want the extra functionality.
matt87
I use Microsoft Office 2003 Professional, it pretty much comes with every program I would ever need.
Cridiron
I do have to say that OpenOffice.Org doesn't live up to Microsoft Office. I didn't really like OpenOffice, so I stuck with Microsoft Office 2003 Pro. It works great.
Ranfaroth
I use OOo, because it's far better than M$ Office.
Massachusetts and Europe agree with that.

For instance, M$ Office isn't compatible with the Open Document format.
Arnie
It is a biased view to say "x is better than y". It depends on many things, for example what system you run and what things you want to do. Just to give an example, I can guarantee you MS Office 97 will be a lot more useful on a Pentium I with 32MB RAM than OOo. That why I'd say, speak for yourself but don't make it a fact.
misterdimiz
Arnie wrote:
It is a biased view to say "x is better than y". It depends on many things, for example what system you run and what things you want to do. Just to give an example, I can guarantee you MS Office 97 will be a lot more useful on a Pentium I with 32MB RAM than OOo. That why I'd say, speak for yourself but don't make it a fact.

agreed. you're right Arnie
grantmaster
As a Tech Consultant for a school district I have to mention that the whole Micro$oft file format thing is an absolute nightmare. This version won't work with that version and then the teachers e-mail a file home it won't work with M$Works. Micro$oft has completely wrecked the concept of collaboration between users in it's attempt to protect against piracy. Other the other hand Open Office opens up pretty much everything nicely and you can set it to save the files in one of the (many) M$ formats. That why we dumped M$Office on all of our desktops in favor of OO...
desertwind
I dont have much use with an office suit. Usually a text editor will do all my job. Gedit is my favourite one.

Uses OOo 2.0 as office suite occassionally.
Arnie
If you really care about standard formats that everyone can use, I'd say go for RTF. Can MS Office open the documents of OOo etcetera? No! Even if it's implemented, the older versions still won't be able to deal with it. And a lot of people don't have OOo. Nearly any text editor can handle RTF, go see for yourself. Old versions, new versions, open source, closed source...
lockwolf
I use open office. A big reason why I use it is because it allows you to save files in .pdf form which is great when making E-Books.
romano
I use open office.
Why? well because is open source and its good.
I dont use MS office.
Why?too expensive
Open office 2.0 have new features, and some of them Ms office dont have.
Open source software for ever....
Arin
I'm also a user of Open Office 2.0. Because it's powerful, open-source and for free.

I hope this software will last long. And I'm really happy coz recently Polish government choosed Open Document format as a standard for our authorities. What a joy xD.

Cheers,
Arin.
gonzo
suite? no

http://vim.org
desertwind
Ya, vim is very powerful and excellent tool. I use it for text editing.
cheeta
Open Office 2 & MS Office 2003 Pro both... Very Happy

but dont know why... i feell that MS Office is easy to use... allthough Open Office is free... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
koolbluez
MS office... no doubt... the safest & best bet...
klingoncowboy4
OOo 2.0
bananaphone
Office 2003 Professional - I also have Openoffice.org, but I use Microsoft on a day to day basis (I find it more powerful)