FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where to start with my first website

SpaceInvader75
I've never built a website before. I've used some html tags, but just very basic things. I really want to build a website for my new business. I know I could probably pay somebody to do the basic site that I need, but I want to learn anyway.

I've taken some programming courses in the past, but it's been a long time, so the only thing that might help me with is basic programming structure.

I was going to use Joomla, but after playing around with that some, it was still rather intimidating. If I could just get something started maybe I can go from there, but I'm really not even sure what the first step is?
RosenCruz
How about starting with an easy to use thing like WordPress ?
deanhills
Great idea Rosen. Also, there are some great tutorials online SpaceInvader - this tutorial in particular will take you through all of the steps of building a WordPress Website as it is designed for people who do WP Websites for the first time:

dude_xyx
You can start with WordPress. I think it's your best option. The Video deanhills has posted is really good and you can find more from Youtube. There are good free business type WordPress theme which you can use. Anyway you will need to learn basics of HTML, php and many other things along the way.
RosenCruz
The good thing with WP is, you can act like a novice, beginner, advanced or professional. As you grow, Wp has so many tools, plugins and themes to catch you Wink
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
The good thing with WP is, you can act like a novice, beginner, advanced or professional. As you grow, Wp has so many tools, plugins and themes to catch you Wink
Agreed. Like there is a stage when one wants to change things in Word Press and then one can get into modifying the code. Into the technical side of things. It's good both for beginners and those who are advanced.
SpaceInvader75
Thanks for the suggestions. I will start looking at WordPress now.
SpaceInvader75
I am still using my old computer with Windows XP, so I can't update it, unless I can get Linux to run. Maybe I'll do that next and then start on the website. I couldn't even get to the website because Chrome gave me a security warning.
SpaceInvader75
I'm going to look at WordPress today. I couldn't even get on the site, before. I thought my computer was infected, but I did a system restore not long ago. I figured out one of the problems when I did another restore: I was not using the option to do a "destructive restore". The wording sounds ironic, but that's the option I wanted, in order to get rid of any infections. So my computer is running somewhat better. Before I restored it this last time, I couldn't even open a second tab without it slowing down, so it definitely improved.

Since I can't update Windows XP anymore my temporary solution is to use SandBoxie for my browsing. We'll see if that can get me by enough to start working on my website. I'm sure I'll have questions soon. Smile
deanhills
I'm about to get out of my XP. I can see it slowing down. I need to log out more often than I used to. Still good going however. But when I was on my holidays I got kind'a used to my Toshiba i7 laptop with Windows 7. HUGE difference in speed and performance.

I'll first have to set myself up with WiFi however. Hopefully within the next few days. As I'm presently connected with an ethernet cable. Then will work mostly on my laptop. See whether I can do without a desktop for a while.
RosenCruz
I am one of those that still sticks to good old XP. I love it. It works fine on my 10 year old PC. No issues
SpaceInvader75
OK, so I think I fixed most of the problems with Windows XP. I did a factory restore, but then Chrome was still giving me an SSL error, so I could not go to WordPress. I figured out that was because my computer did not come with Windows XP service pack 3, so I downloaded that and now I can go to WordPress.

I can watch the tutorial posted, and see if clears up any issues, but I had a couple of them. I made my first page today, but after I published it I went to my browser and I couldn't find it; it says there is nothing there. And then once I went back my page was gone, so things aren't starting out very well. I saved my draft and published it, so I'm not really sure why there's nothing there.

The other thing I'm wondering about is that WordPress says it's a blog, which is fine, I want to have a blog also, but what is the difference between creating a blog and a web site?
deanhills
@SpaceInvader75

I've just done a quick Word Press site today so I can give you the steps I followed as the sequence is still fresh in my mind. I did it in Windows XP:

1. First I created a new domain in dot.tk. I added our nameservers ns1.blah and ns2.blah. One has to go into the domain manager of dot.tk for doing that and click on name servers. Then add your two name servers. Not sure on what server you are but they are:

Server 1: ns1.frihost.net and ns2.frihost.net
Server 2: ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net
Server 3: ns1.frih.org and ns2.frih.org
Server 4: ns1.frihost.org and ns2.frihost.org

Those name servers are pretty important as they connect the domain at your Registrar up with where your Website is located at Frihost.

2. Then I went to my cPanel and created an add on domain. When it asked for the name of the addon domain, I gave it my new domain.tk name. When the add on domain is created cPanel (probably also DirectAdmin) automatically creates an FTP account for you as well. I normally use it, but for just the WP zipped folder I find the cPanel File Manager much faster.

3. I then went to my mySQL Wizard in cPanel (I'm sure you must have one in DirectAdmin too) to create a database. That is fairly easy. As it prompts you for the information you need to put in it. For the user name try not to put in "Admin" as that is always a great target for hackers. Also it's a good idea to write down all of the information so you will have it ready later on when Word Press asks you for the information.

4. I then downloaded the latest Word Press software from the Word Press Website to my hard disk as a Zipped File.

5. I then uploaded the Zipped File via cPanel File Manager to my add on domain - domain.tk - folder inside my Public Folder. VERY IMPORTANT to upload it into your domain.tk folder otherwise you won't see your Word Press Website.

6. I then used my File Manager to unzip the Zipped Folder. Once unzipped, I clicked on WP - the main folder, and then selected all of its sub-folders, cut them and moved them one folder up so that they were directly under the domain.tk. Which of course means if I would type my domain.tk name, that Word Press would come up.

7. I then did a little cleanup of the debris. Deleted the Zipped Folder, and deleted the empty WP folder.

8. I then typed domain.tk in the address line of my browser, hit return, and voila, Word Press says I'm in business.

9. Word Press then asks me for a few things, name of the Website, name of the database, user name so I had all of that information ready. I again made sure that the user name was not Admin.

10. Then when I passed Word Press's test for the testing of the Database and the User Name, it came up with the Word Press log-in so that the fun could begin. Also made a password that was strong - probably hackable, but at least the hacker would have to try a little harder.

11. Then the WP learning curve starts for which I really encourage you to check through one of those YouTube tutorials. As not everything is in a logical place in WP. There are many dynamic nooks and crannies that you really can only discover through some tutoring of a kind. The tutorial also helps you with downloading themes and plug-ins and warns you for things to watch out.
RosenCruz
Quote:
but what is the difference between creating a blog and a web site?

A blog, also known as weblog is part of web site, which is update regularly, sometimes contains information that is not directly related to web site's main theme. It may contains updates, fun stuff, information, daily tips, tricks etc.

Today, a whole web site can be a blog itself, thanks to useful software such as WordPress, Blogger etc.
SpaceInvader75
I started building the site just through the WordPress site itself; so apparently I started out the wrong way. But if I do it that way it looks like I have to pay $18 for my domain (or it will say mydomain.wordpress.com). So is step 1 registering my domain?

I found out what I was doing wrong in WordPress: I started making a page but it wasn't my home page. So when you loaded the site you still couldn't see anything. lol

I'm editing this because I just went to register my domain but I am not sure what I should check on the first box that says "Use your new domain". Do I check use DNS?
RosenCruz
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
I started building the site just through the WordPress site itself; so apparently I started out the wrong way. But if I do it that way it looks like I have to pay $18 for my domain (or it will say mydomain.wordpress.com). So is step 1 registering my domain?

I found out what I was doing wrong in WordPress: I started making a page but it wasn't my home page. So when you loaded the site you still couldn't see anything. lol

I'm editing this because I just went to register my domain but I am not sure what I should check on the first box that says "Use your new domain". Do I check use DNS?

Wordpress is a piece of code, a CMS and blogging software that resides on
Code:
www.wordpress.org

Code:
Wordpress.com
is a service provided by Automattic, the main creator of WP that hosts a WordPress installation for users.

They are different things. Are you not using Frihost hosting service? If you are, you should not be on wordpress.com network. You should install and edit, manage your own Wordpress hosting environment Wink
SpaceInvader75
Quote:
They are different things. Are you not using Frihost hosting service? If you are, you should not be on wordpress.com network. You should install and edit, manage your own Wordpress hosting environment Wink

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do, but this will be my first website, so I have to learn everything. Smile

I should have watched the tutorial first, instead of just going to WordPress.com Smile

But next time I'll have to skip some of it because he take a long time explaining how to set up hostgator, which I don't even need to do.
SpaceInvader75
Quote:
1. First I created a new domain in dot.tk. I added our nameservers ns1.blah and ns2.blah. One has to go into the domain manager of dot.tk for doing that and click on name servers. Then add your two name servers. Not sure on what server you are but they are:

Server 1: ns1.frihost.net and ns2.frihost.net
Server 2: ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net
Server 3: ns1.frih.org and ns2.frih.org
Server 4: ns1.frihost.org and ns2.frihost.org

Those name servers are pretty important as they connect the domain at your Registrar up with where your Website is located at Frihost.

I don't have a website yet though. I was going to request my free domain and the only server available was Server 4. I didn't finish it yet, because I was a little confused about the process. I think it was asking me for my domain name, but it said something about "frihost.net". So I need to request the domain from FriHost first?

I'm editing this because I don't have enough coins for the top level domain yet, I just realized that. But I did request my free hosting finally. Smile
deanhills
SpaceInvader75 wrote:

I'm editing this because I don't have enough coins for the top level domain yet, I just realized that. But I did request my free hosting finally. Smile
Good luck with the free hosting. Let us know when you're up and running!
RosenCruz
Hope you get your free web hosting soon and gain control over your WP site more Wink
Marcuzzo
Hi Guys, I thought I'd drop my 2 cents on this topic.

I used to run Xampp on XP ( actually still do ) when developing a website offline. Now I've got a laptop from my employer running on windows 8.1 and one of the first things I installed was Xampp.

I usually upload all code after I've got an acceptance version ready, unit-, performance-, and security-tested( Q1, Q4 ).
after this it's basically Automation testing and manual testing by the users.

anyway, starting with WP is easy for beginners and advanced users can do a lot more with it once they learn how to tinker with the code, which is good and all, but you are learning how to build a website with Wordpress.... period.

I prefer the old skool way, start from scratch, pure html/css/js and then move on to php that takes care of the html generation. and after that maybe a framework. the later is becoming a pain in the butt. I've been working with CodeIgniter for a while and now that the project seems to be "dead" everybdy is moving on to laravel ( which looks ugly as f**k and I don't even want to start looking at it properly )

my next big php website will be written from scratch again, or I'll fork the CI repo and work with that.

aaaand back on topic.

@spaceinvader why did you get an ssl warning? do you have a SSL certificate for your website or did you enable it in the WP setup? if so, only use SSL when you've got a valid cert because otherwise people will get this nasty warning. ( You can get a free ssl cert at https://www.startssl.com/ follow the instructions and don't mess up, creating 1 cert is free, changing or deleting it isn't )

Back to running a site locally before going live, I used to do this with Drupal and it should be the same for WP,
1. Create the local database + user
2. Install wordpress
3. tweak WP to your needs
4. in phpmyadmin you export all the data ( Tables and data ) to a file

5. On your webhosting: create a database with the same name as the one you had locally
6. Import the sql file you exported in step 4
7. Copy the entire contents of your local documentroot to your webserver

little note: Make sure that you install your local webserver with the same php and mysql version
Pippo90
Personally, I would download and try to customise some HTML template. I think that if I managed to build my website in this way, anybody can do it, and particularly you that already have some knowledge of the language.
SpaceInvader75
deanhills wrote:
SpaceInvader75 wrote:

Thanks. Since it said I am waiting approval, does that mean I will get a notification message?
deanhills
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
deanhills wrote:
SpaceInvader75 wrote:

Thanks. Since it said I am waiting approval, does that mean I will get a notification message?
Correct. You'll get a PM in your Inbox with your hosting details. Let us know when you do. Smile
RosenCruz
Wish we could have the ability to create new accounts, may be on a new "TEST" server. I see so many people signing up here, and leaving because their requests are not handled.

Can Bondings do that ? Give a few trusted members ability to create and suspend accounts on a fresh server. I believe this can be done. Arrow
SpaceInvader75
Marcuzzo wrote:
Hi Guys, I thought I'd drop my 2 cents on this topic.

I used to run Xampp on XP ( actually still do ) when developing a website offline. Now I've got a laptop from my employer running on windows 8.1 and one of the first things I installed was Xampp.

I usually upload all code after I've got an acceptance version ready, unit-, performance-, and security-tested( Q1, Q4 ).
after this it's basically Automation testing and manual testing by the users.

anyway, starting with WP is easy for beginners and advanced users can do a lot more with it once they learn how to tinker with the code, which is good and all, but you are learning how to build a website with Wordpress.... period.

I prefer the old skool way, start from scratch, pure html/css/js and then move on to php that takes care of the html generation. and after that maybe a framework. the later is becoming a pain in the butt. I've been working with CodeIgniter for a while and now that the project seems to be "dead" everybdy is moving on to laravel ( which looks ugly as f**k and I don't even want to start looking at it properly )

my next big php website will be written from scratch again, or I'll fork the CI repo and work with that.

aaaand back on topic.

@spaceinvader why did you get an ssl warning? do you have a SSL certificate for your website or did you enable it in the WP setup? if so, only use SSL when you've got a valid cert because otherwise people will get this nasty warning. ( You can get a free ssl cert at https://www.startssl.com/ follow the instructions and don't mess up, creating 1 cert is free, changing or deleting it isn't )

Back to running a site locally before going live, I used to do this with Drupal and it should be the same for WP,
1. Create the local database + user
2. Install wordpress
3. tweak WP to your needs
4. in phpmyadmin you export all the data ( Tables and data ) to a file

5. On your webhosting: create a database with the same name as the one you had locally
6. Import the sql file you exported in step 4
7. Copy the entire contents of your local documentroot to your webserver

little note: Make sure that you install your local webserver with the same php and mysql version

I think the way I was trying to do it before was similar to what you are describing, but maybe not as advanced. I was going to try out Joomla, well actually I did, but it was still kind of overwhelming, even though I've had some programming classes; it's been a really long time. I think I figured out how to run Apache for Joomla, and then I wasn't sure what to do next.

The SSL warning was not related to my website; I think it was because Windows XP did not have Service Pack 3. My browser wouldn't go to SSL websites.
zimmer
Try Joomla.

Very simple and can handle complex type of websites!

Microsoft share point is nothing compared to Joomla!
SpaceInvader75
zimmer wrote:
Try Joomla.

Very simple and can handle complex type of websites!

Microsoft share point is nothing compared to Joomla!

It wasn't that simple to me. lol
Nyasro
Try wordpress.
SpaceInvader75
I'm still waiting. Maybe I'll try to make my own logo while I'm waiting. Smile
dude_xyx
Joolma is more complex hard to get used to, unlike Wordpress. While you are waiting for your account you can create Test Wordpress in other free hosting Hostinger.co.uk to learn about Wordpress and how it work. Those sites are not very reliable so use those only for test purpose.
SpaceInvader75
dude_xyx wrote:
Joolma is more complex hard to get used to, unlike Wordpress. While you are waiting for your account you can create Test Wordpress in other free hosting Hostinger.co.uk to learn about Wordpress and how it work. Those sites are not very reliable so use those only for test purpose.

Good idea. I don't think I have software to create a logo. I guess I could use paint! lol
RosenCruz
I tried Joomla in the past and it was kind of hard to use for me. Sticked to Wordpress since then Laughing
SpaceInvader75
I guess I can go to the free hosting site mentioned, since I never got a reply from FriHost. I really want to have my site up and running this winter, because I am planning on doing marketing in the spring for my lawn service, and I probably won't have much time to build a site.

Right now it is not that important to me to have paid hosting, because I probably won't be getting much traffic anyway. I just want a host so I can get my site built. Then I can worry about the hosting once more money is coming in.

I am going to try to register on the suggested hosting site and download WordPress and get started. Thanks for the help so far!
rx9876
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
I guess I can go to the free hosting site mentioned, since I never got a reply from FriHost. I really want to have my site up and running this winter, because I am planning on doing marketing in the spring for my lawn service, and I probably won't have much time to build a site.

Right now it is not that important to me to have paid hosting, because I probably won't be getting much traffic anyway. I just want a host so I can get my site built. Then I can worry about the hosting once more money is coming in.

I am going to try to register on the suggested hosting site and download WordPress and get started. Thanks for the help so far!

Hi, hope this does not make you feel rude.
Considering your case, I think maybe a auction site and a (free) blog could meet your request,
and you don't have to do SEO.
For example, to entry a item to describe your lawn service in eBay or amazon, post your contact information and some pictures, and wrote some articles about your services.

This is the fastest way to start your business, and you could reconsider to build a website after you gain some extra money.
Nyasro
I see that you want to learn rather than spending money.
If you have no intention of getting into the programming field, don't bother to spend your time there.

Just get some Wordpress theme or any other readymade theme. But getting some basic programming lessons won't hurt. But don't go too deep.

For basic and advanced course, search for free lessons. There are a lot of them. w3schools is a good way to start with.
amagard
This thread is interesting, a nice example of a project started without applying any software engineering skills. It is amazing to see how people jump on solutions without knowing the requirements yet.

The only requirement so far: "I wanna build a web site".

Nice, but insufficient, IMHO.

My next question would have been: "What do you want to do with the web site ?"

• Just publish articles in a chronological order ? Use a blogging platform like Wordpress. Which indeed is easy to use.
  • Want a site for collaborative writing, e.g. to open up a wikipedia like encyclopedia, or call it knowledge sharing site - use some wiki software like Mediawiki
  • Want a site for many users to publish their content ? Or to support blog, wikis, and may be forums, guestbooks, you name it ... Use a CMS like Joomla
  • Want a site to sell products ? May be pick a free solution form this list of free software e-commerce web application frameworks
  • Want your own cloud ? Try OpenStack.
  • None of the above ?

Please sit back and think about it for a moment or two. It will and probably already has been quiet frustrating to come up with some solution and then realize: it doesn't work for you.
SpaceInvader75
Well, I think the primary purpose of my website right now is to bring in business. I would like to use it to offer specials to customers, and share some useful information (I suppose that would be with a blog) in order to get customers (or potential customers) to come back to the site. There may be some other things I would like to do with in the future.

There are other reasons for wanting to make my own website, however. Once I build my first website, I may find that I enjoy it and I want to explore other options of websites. I may want to start other websites in the future. I have taken some programming courses in the past, and I enjoyed it. But it's difficult for me to just start learning programming if I do not have any project. I think I need a project for myself in order to be motivated to learn it. I was going to start with Joomla, but I am taking the advice on starting with WordPress to learn the basics, and then I can go from there.

I signed up for free hosting and installed WordPress, but I've already run into a problem. I started watching a video on starting a website, and I followed the instructions to log into the back end, but then I am asked for a WordPress login, which I don't remember creating, and the login for my website did not work. So, I'm already stuck! lol
SpaceInvader75
The hosting site sent me an email with my admin name, but gmail sent it to spam. Then when I requested a new password, gmail sent that message to spam as well! So now I can start messing around with WordPress finally!
rx9876
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
The hosting site sent me an email with my admin name, but gmail sent it to spam. Then when I requested a new password, gmail sent that message to spam as well! So now I can start messing around with WordPress finally!

Congratulations!

Don't forget to use some SEO tricks.

For example, put your service area in document titles.

People tend to google for the service with area name to get a vendor in the neighborhood.
deanhills
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
But it's difficult for me to just start learning programming if I do not have any project.
That was what helped me to learn. I had to have a project too. A friend of mine, who was also a birding enthusiast, was circulating a booklet to every one, and I then decided it could make for a good Website. Was a great way to learn at the time. Then after that more projects came out of the wood work. I'm still learning.
amagard
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
Well, I think the primary purpose of my website right now is to bring in business. I would like to use it to offer specials to customers, and share some useful information (I suppose that would be with a blog) in order to get customers (or potential customers) to come back to the site.

OK, SpaceInvader, sounds like a plan. Ultimately you probably need a CMS with blogs as a component, or may be just a blog will do. You easily could create one article per offering, the latest offering will always be on the top, but customers can search for other offerings or you can have a navigation tree in a sidebar so that customers easily can navigate to any offering. Also potential customers would have the capability to comment on your offerings.
For all of that a simple blogging engine like the highly recommended Wordpress is most likely sufficient. You actually would not need any programming skills here. There are many Wordpress themes out there to customize your blog, some available for free, and you can use a WYSIWYG type editor like Windows Life Writer to post to your blog.

If you want a CMS, this search site from cmsmatrix.org is really helpful: you can search available CMS solutions by many criteria, like what programming language they support ( for most CMS of course you can write your own plugins ) or whether they come with a blog engine.

For having a project to exercise programming you probably want a second site you really can use to play with. But again: there are so many building tools and ready made CMS out there that it almost doesn't make much sense to write e.g. HTML code on your own from scratch. If you want to do so, starting with a simple html file on your frihost account will do, you can also do this with php or pure javascript plus any of the fancy javascript libraries out there: jQuery is the one I can recommend.
SpaceInvader75
I'm glad to hear that I'll be able to get the site started without much programming. I thought it would be fun, but I'm going to have to get another computer first, because this one is running XP. I've tried several times to install Linux on it, and it always has some sort of kernel panic error. It's incredibly slow anyway, but it's all I have now, and business is really slow (due to the winter). The problem I ran into is that I could not install the server software with Windows XP.

So for now I'll just focus on getting my primary web site (for my lawn service) up, and maybe find a theme I like, as suggested, get a blog started. I may not purchase my domain until the spring. I haven't tried out any themes yet, because I got angry when I couldn't install the software (XAMPP), because I hate my computer! But you get what you pay for, I think I spent about $15 on this computer. Smile
SpaceInvader75
I found a theme with a picture, and I put some grass in the picture, and it already looks pretty good. Thanks for suggesting WordPress. I just need to add some content to it next and see how it looks. I also need to figure out how to put my logo in the theme. I can probably look at some more tutorials on WordPress and figure this out, but I'm not in a rush, since I don't have an official logo yet.

I'm considering attempting to make my own logo, because my budget is to tight right now. I can always have a professional revise it later, but I do consider myself somewhat creative. I think I can design something that will get me started (if I can get my hands on the right software). Anyway that is probably another topic.

The main point is I'm already happy with how the basic layout looks, and I haven't even spent much time building it, so I see the point about coding not really being needed.
amagard
If I get this right your are hosting your site on your 15$ computer ? Okay, that's a way to start, but hopefully it won't break into pieces if 20 or 100 visitors enter your site. Do you have a URL already ?

Anyway, why not hosting it here on Frihost ? On Frihost you for instance don't need to worry about setting up a web server and stuff like that.
SpaceInvader75
I just wanted to install the server software so I could do the coding on the computer (maybe I don't even need to do it that way) and get my site looking how I want. I don't even think I'm ready for that, yet; I should try to work with one of the themes.

If I can get something to look the way I want, I do have a question. One of the important things I should be doing is getting my site optimized for Google. So, does it matter if I have my domain yet? I'm going to research how to do this more, but I was thinking if Google goes by the domain name, then maybe I should get it now (even though I don't anticipate much traffic until spring). I still have to put content on it also. I don't understand much about the process of optimizing my site yet. I only know that somehow I need to try to get my site to come up on the first page (hopefully) of Google search results. I'm not even sure if that's possible, but that is one goal.

I tried to use FriHost, but I applied for a free hosting account back in August and never heard back from anyone, so I'm using Hostinger right now.
deanhills
I'd get my Website up first before I start with learning Google tools. Use your shared hosting to get one up and worry about servers later. Much easier to learn with the real thing from the ground up. Why not get a Word Press site up (remember to first install security plugins - WordFence and Bruteforce). And then Google how to promote it and check through Google applications. Keep it simple when you're learning. Razz
SpaceInvader75
I've been working through the tutorial "How to make a Wordpress Website 2014", and I'm about halfway done. I have a home page photo, about, contact, photo gallery, services, and special and discounts menus, plus I have buttons farther down on my home page that link to some of the menus, with a little more description. I've installed some plugins from in the video.

Thanks for reminding me about the security plugins DeanHills; I haven't seen anything on those yet. I even added a video of different grass choices for my area (mainly to see what it would look like). So, most of the work left is probably adding the actual content. This may take a while, but so far it still looks pretty good, and I'm happy with my progress, especially since I have never completed this much on a website before. Smile
deanhills
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
Thanks for reminding me about the security plugins DeanHills; I haven't seen anything on those yet. I even added a video of different grass choices for my area (mainly to see what it would look like). So, most of the work left is probably adding the actual content. This may take a while, but so far it still looks pretty good, and I'm happy with my progress, especially since I have never completed this much on a website before. Smile
I learned the hard way SI. Razz I got semi-ddossed, which is easy to do with WordPress sites which are targeted by script kiddies for brute force attacks, i.e. trying to access people's admin accounts with scripts that probe for vulnerabilities. So that's another tip. Try and call your admin account a different name than admin. The Bruteprotect plugin works with blocking people who try to get into your Admin account. The WordFence scans your site for out of date plugins and themes. It's one of the best plugins I've had. It links with your e-mail account and when things happen it sends notifications to your e-mails. After my bad experience, it was like heaven sent.

Bad experience happens with ddos, which drains your bandwidth. Next thing you know you could be suspended like within hours as most servers are set up to automatically suspend an account when it has used more bandwidth than the X that has been allocated to the user. So while you're having a WordPress site up you need to check it frequently. Anything can happen to it as it is vulnerable for exploits.

PS: Which tutorial are you using? I did exactly the same as you. Work through one of those tutorials in parallel with building my first WordPress site. Was absolutely the right thing to do as the Dashboard of WordPress is not as instinctive as one would want it to be. Plenty of tips that came with the tutorial. This is the one I used:

SpaceInvader75
The video I'm using is "How To Make a WordPress Website - 2014" by Tyler Moore. I'm not sure if it's the one you posted, but it's pretty good so far. But I started running into some problems yesterday.

The first problem I had was the lightbox plugin doesn't work. I was going to just try a different one, since I couldn't figure out why, and then I notice on all the plugins a note that says they are not tested with my version of WordPress. So I thought maybe I need to update my WordPress, and it says that I should update it (it is a developmental version) but I can't update it. It looks like it is timing out every time I attempt to update it.
deanhills
SpaceInvader75 wrote:

The first problem I had was the lightbox plugin doesn't work. I was going to just try a different one, since I couldn't figure out why, and then I notice on all the plugins a note that says they are not tested with my version of WordPress. So I thought maybe I need to update my WordPress, and it says that I should update it (it is a developmental version) but I can't update it. It looks like it is timing out every time I attempt to update it.
I'd get rid of that version immediately and start from scratch. It's actually VERY high risk as Word Press announced a few days ago there is a security risk in older versions, every one needs to upgrade to the latest version - Version 4.0.1.

You can download the up to date script from WordPress here:
https://wordpress.org/download/

Once you have deleted your Word Press in your cPanel, see whether you can upload the zipped script from your computer to your Hostinger File Manager direct. I can do it with my Frihost cpanel. You can then unzip it in your cpanel account. You then have to go into your configuration file to update the database and database user info. Or you can start those from scratch as well if you want to do that.
sonam
deanhills wrote:

...VERY high risk as Word Press announced a few days ago there is a security risk in older versions...

This is reason why I don't use any CMS. I am always codding my sites from the stretch. Cool

Sonam
SpaceInvader75
I don't see any way to update WordPress. I can download it but that's all I can do. I looked in the Control Panel and didn't see anything. I suppose it doesn't matter how easy WordPress is to use if I can't update it, and why should I use a host that provides me with an outdated version and then then the easy update doesn't work? I was going to switch later anyway, but I don't think hostinger is even good enough to build my site on apparently.
SpaceInvader75
I didn't understand what was going on at all. I suppose I'm going to have to watch a tutorial on updating Wordpress...
truespeed
WordPress tells you in wp-admin when you need to update,all you do then is confirm your user details and it updates the software.
deanhills
@Truespeed. With the more recent version of WP there is an option for having it automatic. Think it comes ticked as the default.

In case of SpaceInvader, he doesn't have a good copy of WP installed. He has a developmental version from a Webhost with an out of date auto installer. Better for him to completely delete his Hostinger WP folder from his File Manager and download the latest version manually from Word Press site and then upload it manually from his computer with his File Manager.
https://wordpress.org/download/

Here is a YouTube tutorial of how to use FileManager to upload and extract the WordPress software:

SpaceInvader75
Thanks DeanHills. I will try it with your method. I looked up a tutorial on how to manually update WordPress. The first step was to back everything up, however, I could not get beyond 1% backup. It's sort of looking like I might need to pay for hosting. lol
deanhills
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
Thanks DeanHills. I will try it with your method. I looked up a tutorial on how to manually update WordPress. The first step was to back everything up, however, I could not get beyond 1% backup. It's sort of looking like I might need to pay for hosting. lol
Definitely no need to get paid hosting SI. Better to use free hosting for when you're learning, and when you've done the learning and know how the shop cart works etc, ready for serious business that will need lots of bandwidth and space, then look at paid.