FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Air Travel - My Opinion

BigGeek
I think that the airlines have ruined air travel for their customers!

I travel a lot for work and had to travel to York Pennsylvania from Denver Colorado last week.

This trip was no different than any of the last six I have taken for work since the 1st of the year. EVERY flight has been delayed! Not once in six trips has the flight been on time and this is not specific to one carrier, I have flown various carriers and all of them are delayed.

They also over book every single flight now, that is their policy, this way if there are any cancellations they are guaranteed to fill the seat - This practice is a disservice to the customers in the overbooked seats - they end up on standby for a later flight......which is overbooked!!

This past week was a stellar example of horrible service, a six and a half hour travel day was turned into an eighteen and a half hour travel day, sacrificing sleep on both ends, so my first day on site in York, and by day two onsite I started to get a sore throat and came down with a cold.

Honestly if I treated my customers the way the Airlines treat us while traveling I would have no customers and go out of business, as consumers we are captive, once a ticket is purchased we are locked into the Airline we purchased from and cannot get a refund, and cannot choose to cash in our ticket and purchase one with a different carrier because they are delayed and unable to meet their obligation to the customer!

Personally I think that they should be forced to offer refunds for every 15 minute delay for mechanical problems or scheduling delays, weather not included. However getting them to offer and decent customer service is probably never going to happen!!!
amateurlee
ye, it is really boring to travel very frequently.
standready
According to government stats
http://www.transtats.bts.gov/ot_delay/OT_DelayCause1.asp?pn=1
you are not having good luck.

Airlines profit comes from the fees beyond the ticket cost. (baggage, re-booking)
deanhills
Which Airlines have you been using? My experiences so far in my almost two weeks of international traveling with plenty of flights slotted in has been mostly positive (knock on wood) .... so far. I probably should wait until my flights back before getting to excited about it.
amagard
Great posting, BigGeek ! I couldn't agree more.
Friends of mine flew to Turkey a couple of weeks ago with Condor, a German charter airline.
On there way to Turkey they waited for hours on the airport but their plane didn't arrive, since it had a technical problem. Two other machines supposed to jump in had technical problems as well. After some time they were sent to the airport hotel; they were not allowed to leave the airport since they had to stand by for a potential new aircraft becoming available.
Next morning they got to the gate a 8:30 am, had to wait another half a day until finally a plane showed up capable to get them to Turkey. They missed basically one vacation day. Luckily the airline had to pay them some hundred Euros later on, so they got half their vacation paid by the airline actually.

The best thing at the end: when they wanted to fly home after two weeks the same happened again: the airline wasn't able to provide a working aircraft on time. Again a multi-hour wait !

What a mess. I would really hesitate to choose an airline like this which apparently isn't able to manage their fleet properly. Apparently they are saving money on service intervals for their planes and thus risk the time of their passengers, if not their safety at the end, to save dollars for their own profit. Companies like this are going too far. And I bet many other companies - not only airlines - do exactly the same thing.
deanhills
amagard wrote:
Great posting, BigGeek ! I couldn't agree more.
Friends of mine flew to Turkey a couple of weeks ago with Condor, a German charter airline.
They should have used Turkish Airlines. Razz I took a chance when I booked with them as I thought lower price means lower expectations. But it's been the best in every respect even compared with huge airlines like KLM. Absolutely punctual, very organised at the point of check in. My check in was the fastest ever. The attendant at check-in didn't even ask me for my ticket. Just my passport. Line moved like a dream. Same at the point of boarding. Depart and return absolutely punctual. We even arrived earlier in Amsterdam than the stated time. And the online entertainment in comparison with KLM like night and day. The equipment worked much better, better technology than what KLM offered me in my recent flights, much greater choice in movies. Food was much better too. Genuine fresh orange juice. Hot food with metal knives and forks. This was a very nice surprise for me. As the ticket that I had from Dubai to Istanbul and then Istanbul to Amsterdam return was dirt cheap. I had a stay over in Istanbul of three nights and four days. Had a great stay. Istanbul is just a beginning though I think, need to see other cities too ... maybe later.

Knock on wood of course as I still have to make the return journey from Amsterdam via Istanbul to Dubai. Right now I'm waiting for my Aurigny flight as am in channel islands. Can recommend them too for absolute punctuality. Also the friendliest service of a warmer kind. Tomorrow I travel with British Airways so may be able to comment by tomorrow evening on how it compares. Flight will be from Gatwick to Amsterdam.
coolclay
BigGeek did you actually fly into York? I didn't actually know we had a commercial airport!! That's probably the reason why things were so terrible. I grew up in York County, and occasionally fly into Harrisburg, however that will never happen again. The last time I did it took them an hour from the time we touched down to the time the luggage got kicked onto the conveyer. It's like they had one person running the whole airport!!! Completely unacceptable, especially considering I paid an extra $50 to fly to Harrisburg vs. Baltimore. Baltimore is only an extra hours drive and well worth it with the cheaper flight and better service.

Also BigGeek if you don't mind me asking what were you doing in York?

For US flights I've been trying to stay strictly with Southwest lately, excellent service, great benefits (they sent me 5 free drink coupons for nothing), 2 free bags, and typically the same price as the other airlines.

I'll be flying to the Sri Lanka and the Maldives using Korean Air and Qatar Airways. Hopefully they are decent, they were considerably cheaper than anyone else, so we'll see!
deanhills
So British Airways from Gatwick to Amsterdam was totally 10/10 as well. Gatwick looked like a zoo when I entered it this morning at 6:00 a.m. for my 7:55 a.m. flight. I didn't think I was going to make it through customs and was totally bowled over with how fast those lines were moving, and how great the attendants were in moving them through. I was through in record time with plenty of time to relax in customs. No waiting at the gate at all. All of the passengers were seated in the plane 10 minutes before take off time. We were about 15 minutes late for the plane to take off, but we were lined up to take off. We landed earlier in Amsterdam than the scheduled time.

Must say the flight was squashed seat wise and it was completely 100% full. But survived that part of it. Had a distance to walk one we disembarked, but only waited about 10 minutes for bag to arrive. Passport control was effortless. Actually miraculous how they manage to get the bags at that specific spot in the face of two of the busiest airports in the world.

OK, just two more flights left with Turkish Airlines tomorrow. Maybe I was just lucky so far?
RosenCruz
In my country (Turkey), civil aviation has developed pretty well in last 10 years. Cheap flights, competition between companies are available. Due to high demand in some locations, delays are not uncommon.

But airlines are overally doing a good job as far as I can see. Since 2011, I did more than 80 flights internationally and locally, my reactions are mostly positive. Cool
BigGeek
coolclay wrote:
BigGeek did you actually fly into York? I didn't actually know we had a commercial airport!! That's probably the reason why things were so terrible. I grew up in York County, and occasionally fly into Harrisburg, however that will never happen again. The last time I did it took them an hour from the time we touched down to the time the luggage got kicked onto the conveyer. It's like they had one person running the whole airport!!! Completely unacceptable, especially considering I paid an extra $50 to fly to Harrisburg vs. Baltimore. Baltimore is only an extra hours drive and well worth it with the cheaper flight and better service.

Also BigGeek if you don't mind me asking what were you doing in York?

For US flights I've been trying to stay strictly with Southwest lately, excellent service, great benefits (they sent me 5 free drink coupons for nothing), 2 free bags, and typically the same price as the other airlines.

I'll be flying to the Sri Lanka and the Maldives using Korean Air and Qatar Airways. Hopefully they are decent, they were considerably cheaper than anyone else, so we'll see!

I flew US Airways, a company that was just purchased by the huge American Airlines. Unfortunately I do not book my travel for business purposes, our receptionist/secretary does so, and our CEO oversees her bookings because he is a tightwad and books the cheapest travel packages he can get, and has Diane (our secretary) check all the major travel sites, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, etc. and then book the cheapest package!!

Coolclay - Yes I flew into Harrisburg and then rented a car (Alamo) and drove up the PA turnpike to York. I was in York doing a wireless site survey for their traffic network, the downtown intersections along George & Market street presently run as standalone intersections, once we connect them up wirelessly they will be able to communicate with them from their traffic management center and coordinate the signals to reduce traffic.

deanhills - Euro carriers must operate differently that US carriers, United and American are the worst, seems the larger they are the worse they treat their customers, and the smaller carriers still offer better service. Although I haven't seen silverware or free food on any US carriers in coach class for over 10 years now, that is relegated to 1st class, something my CEO would NEVER PAY for....oh except for himself Laughing
deanhills
BigGeek wrote:

deanhills - Euro carriers must operate differently that US carriers, United and American are the worst, seems the larger they are the worse they treat their customers, and the smaller carriers still offer better service. Although I haven't seen silverware or free food on any US carriers in coach class for over 10 years now, that is relegated to 1st class, something my CEO would NEVER PAY for....oh except for himself Laughing
Haha BG, now that you mention United, two days ago when I was zipping into Amsterdam for a quickie visit, I bumped into a lady from Georgia who had her flight delayed for a day when they had to fix a Lufthansa plane (I'd have thought a big airline like that would have spare planes?). KLM and Lufthansa are supposed to be great, but I've heard plenty of complaints. She was due to fly her last leg with United, and thought United was a better bet.

Turkish Airlines didn't disappoint timing wise yesterday either. Totally recommend them. Had roast chicken for dinner with metal knives and forks in economy section. And a selection of movies that totally bowled me over.
coolclay
Yea US airways to Harrisburg was the same folks I had to wait an hour for my luggage! I think they Harrisburg Airport is ready to declare bankruptcy.

Wow that's awesome about those lights. They are notoriously bad for letting you go through and instantly turning red!
mshafiq
If a person takes a local flight then yes in my experience and perspective it is very boring. However, international flights are not like that where you get whole lot of entertainment and there is always something to do on international flights unlike the local flights. The reason is that in local flights I mean national flights one has nothing to play with like there is no entertainments, not even meals (though sometimes some airlines offer complimentary drink service) so it becomes really boring that you have to sit only in one cabin waiting for next couple of hours to pass through. However, in international flight you generally get an LCD screen behind every other seat in which you can watch whole lot of movies and stuff. Also, the plane crew is friendly and you get rid of the hassle of hopping in and out of the planes for short durations as happens in local flights. The reason being international flights tend to be longer than local flights. So, I would suggest if you still take domestic flights, keep a good fully recharged entertainment gadget with you e.g. an iPad and a piece of ear buds to keep listening to some audio or play games etc. that way one gets less bored Smile I hope you will enjoy your next journeys. Also, I take window seats, so that if there is nothing to do, then you can just watch outside window. I personally think there is always something to see outside window. I would recommend getting an isle seat in longer flights though. Thanks!
BigGeek
coolclay wrote:
Yea US airways to Harrisburg was the same folks I had to wait an hour for my luggage! I think they Harrisburg Airport is ready to declare bankruptcy.

Wow that's awesome about those lights. They are notoriously bad for letting you go through and instantly turning red!

Harrisburg Airport was pretty empty, almost no one working there! It did take a half hour for luggage to come up, but that is pretty typical from my experience in all airports. The flight out at 8:45 PM the place was empty again, seems like a pretty small airport with not much traffic.

As far as the lights in York - Yeah they need to be synchronized, they are timed pretty badly and even during the day they created some backups down George & Market Streets.
zimmer
For me its not.

What i dont like is this ****** visa when you travel abroad. Some takes months to process and othes get deny with your travel.

This is what i dont like when i travel because i need to aply a visa.