FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

200 emails spammed from my account.

crystalkey
Someone hacked my account on Server 4. I need to check since it says that I've used up all of my resources. I need my account unsuspended to find out whats going on.
deanhills
That's rotten luck Crystal. Hopefully Bondings can help.

I'm curious, have you been using Joomla? What kind of Website is it?
zimmer
i think you need to suspend only the email account or delete it first for 72 hours. Once done delete then create the same email.

Some activate there spam assin this can also help.

I hope that helps brother.

Good luck!
deanhills
Wonder whether this has anything to do with a blacklisted e-mail server at Frihost Server 4? Refer DNS Report below.

http://www.dnsinspect.com/frihost.org/1405208428
sysna
This is scary, i'm on server 4 too, i just check the message system and there is no warning there. It seems people got hacked and i should think of changing my pass too !
RosenCruz
If one account gets hacked and used for spam, it is bad for the whole server and users using the same mail server
Peterssidan
I know that some servers have had problems with the big online mail services (especially Yahoo mail) for years so this is not a new phenomena.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
I know that some servers have had problems with the big online mail services (especially Yahoo mail) for years so this is not a new phenomena.
Agreed. But a blacklisted mail server isn't a regular event. Probably needs to be seen to.
rx9876
RosenCruz wrote:
If one account gets hacked and used for spam, it is bad for the whole server and users using the same mail server

Agree what you said.
Although I don't use the mail server, but I hope this issue could be fixed.
cybersa
deanhills wrote:
Wonder whether this has anything to do with a blacklisted e-mail server at Frihost Server 4? Refer DNS Report below.

http://www.dnsinspect.com/frihost.org/1405208428

Because of blacklisted mail server,All my forwarded mail get as spam in my inbox.
Hope it will be solved soon.
RosenCruz
A huge server clean up is needed to remove unattended accounts to prevent these issues. Spam bots are so clever. They can take up unused accounts like zombies hanging around
crystalkey
deanhills wrote:
That's rotten luck Crystal. Hopefully Bondings can help.

I'm curious, have you been using Joomla? What kind of Website is it?

I have several domains using the following:

OcPortal
WordPress (caused problems previously)
Concrete5
FusionTicket
MODx
crystalkey
Is there any chance that DirectAdmin locked my account due to bot activity? If so, how can this be resolved?
crystalkey
While checking stats, I found that a new database had been created pointing towards a chinese(?) website selling questionable items. I could not delete the database labeled 'test' but I changed my account passwords, and even the forum password here via the phpmyadmin control panel. Apparently, the site traffic far exceeded all of the sites that I normally host here, in the TB range with 1GB+ traffic per day.

I would advise everyone to check their databases for suspicious names, delete them (if you can), drop the database tables (like I did), and change your passwords. Hopefully Bondings will be able to root out these bogus databases (a.k.a. test), advise users if one is found, and delete them if appropriate.

Hopefully, account access will be restored after the beginning of the month, if the account is suspended due to the DA console taking control of things.
crystalkey
Ok. It's been more than 30 days since the spam attack occurred. I cannot do anything with MySQL (No permissions to create or modify any tables via phpmyadmin), cannot login via DA, cannot access DA via TOR, cannot access any files through FTP, etc.

I think that it may be time to start moving some of my sites and start all over again (a clean break). The main site will give me a chance to use a different CMS while retaining key features from the old site. I will keep one of the domains pointed here in case this issue gets solved. The low traffic sites will be moved first, but it was one of my low traffic domains that got spammed.

The DA message and apparent account lockout at the server level leaves me little opportunty to transfer files or even delete the garbage that may be there. I would really like to clean things up but since noone but Bondings can access accounts or lift account limits temporarily, the options are few to try and salvage what I can on frihost.
crystalkey
It's been almost 1 year. I got an email that I was running out of disk space. Apparently, this has not been resolved yet. Really?
deanhills
crystalkey wrote:
It's been almost 1 year. I got an email that I was running out of disk space. Apparently, this has not been resolved yet. Really?
Not necessarily. I'd imagine that logically it would have been resolved otherwise your account would have been suspended as accounts generally get suspended when they exceed the disk space.

Can you check whether your Website script is up to date as those spam mails could come from a php backdoor script infection.

Have written to Bondings about the problem.