FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Games not in your language?

Sylin
When I was young, I used to play lots of games that are in japanese. I didn't pay it much attention then, partly because most games at that time were only in japanese and only a decent few were in english like the first gen pokemon. Plus it's not like I know english when I was in primary school anyway.

I suppose I only preferred games that are in english now.
But in what circumstances, if any, would you turn to games that are in a language that you don't understand?

For me, this would be when I found a new and really attractive mmorpg, say. Like Blade and Soul where they didn't go international yet.
Or when an mmorpg I've been playing closes down and only their native server is still up and running (usually either korean or japanese).
catscratches
Only if the text is unimportant to the game. I'd be perfectly content playing Super Metroid in Japanese; The Walking Dead, not so much. If the voice acting is in another language but there are subtitles, it doesn't matter to me.

I did a speedrun of Anodyne in Japanese since the text is a lot faster (fewer characters) but that's a game I've already played through in English.
wombatrpgs
It seems more of the games I'm playing now are text-heavy. Not necessarily story-heavy, but relying on text for atmosphere and things like that. It makes understanding the language that much more important. Hard to do that if you can't understand, but older games or those without UI text I'm still fine playing in Japanese.