FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

natural composter

somo60
If you have a garden, allocate one piece of it for the organic garbage from your kitchen. No need in composter - it is done by the nature on lower layers of the garbage.
fuzzkaizer
and if you don't have a garden, and you live in town and you have just a balcony or something in the way, you still can have a composter which doesn't need much space, doesn't smell that much and even composts faster: it is propelled by earthworms...
They say that you take a wooden box with two chambers, separated by a sort of a grill or lattice, and then you put into one half the earth with quite a lot of worms, and into the other half your organic waste. so the worms will wander into that half and process the remains into compost. the speed of the composter depends strongly on the number of worms at work...
scotts96
somo60 wrote:
If you have a garden, allocate one piece of it for the organic garbage from your kitchen. No need in composter - it is done by the nature on lower layers of the garbage.
I'd recommend adding some dry material, or it will rot and stink, not compost, in my experience.
standready
somo60 wrote:

Try adding your grass clippings and leaves.
LxGoodies
What a fuzz about personal compost Razz I don't need it. I live in a 5th floor apartment, buy plants for inhouse and they grow perfectly without compost added. Here in nl we've collected the organics waste separately for 10-20 years.. big truck is getting it to some installation and they make compost and energy, sell it, etc

fuzzkaizer wrote:
and you have just a balcony or something in the way

You'd give away the compost ? with no garden ? Suppose it is 160kg, how are you going to move that stuff out.. btw when you happen to live near me fuzzkaizer.. and you gonna start this amazing project I think is best you'd move to the appartment on the top floor.

Quote:
t is propelled by earthworms…

They probably won't survive the treat. With Monsanto and other modern insectides all mixed up witth our supermarket tomatos an cucumbers you're gonna kill the poor worms, before they can get usefull.
loveandormoney
Herbs in the kitchen?
You can improve it by giving the earth also a little bit of "oragnic food".