FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ways to make laptop fast

evilryu530
i purchased a used laptop that has HHD. with 4gig of ram and i would like it to be faster.

what are some software, or tweaks for windows 8.1 to make it faster?

i don't want to upgrade ram - no money, i don't want to upgrade to ssd - no money.

is there software like rambooster or any tweaks to make it faster?

i already have readyboost. thanks.
Ankhanu
You pretty much have to go through the applications that run in the background and disable anything that isn't immediately necessary; the less that's running, the more resources that will be available to the programs that you're using. This may involve going through settings to prevent many of them from loading automatically when you log on.
Also disable any desktop animations or similar.

There are lots of tutorials for how to prevent apps from running automatically online.

Alternatively, you could try a lighter-weight operating system, maybe something like Mint linux, that doesn't require many system resources to run.
CHAOS-THEORY
First thing i would think of is not using microsoft products...
If you're that maniacly used to it, then use WinxpSP3 with a clean format.
Sajupm
This is what I do for better speed
1.c cleaner
2.Advanced system care
By using both this not only we can speed up our system but can also maintain it in all ways.. Smile
Marcuzzo
evilryu530 wrote:
i purchased a used laptop that has HHD. with 4gig of ram and i would like it to be faster.

i don't want to upgrade ram - no money, i don't want to upgrade to ssd - no money.

You could disable some services that are not needed, disable some of the UI stuff and remove startup programs but without any hardware upgrades you can't get a significant increase in performance.

I would steer clear of so called performance boosters as most of them are crapware. besides all these tools to is whatever I mentioned earlier.
alansyahrir
the first thing when i setup the windows OS is increase the virtual memory, not use the default automatic setting from microsoft... try is, you must feel the differences when you open so much software running...
i copy these from lenovo knowledge base, https://support.lenovo.com/uu/en/documents/migr-67530 . of course there are a lot of other resources from google...

First, determine how much memory (RAM) you have installed on your system. To find out how much memory (RAM) you have installed on your system:

Click Start, then click Control Panel.
Click System and Maintenance, then click System. Under Memory (RAM), the amount of RAM you computer has will be displayed.

Increase the Virtual memory size

Click Start, then click Control Panel.
Double-click System and Maintenance, then click System.
In the left hand menu, click Advanced system settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password, type the password.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Performance, click Settings.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Virtual memory, click Change.
Uncheck the "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" check box.
Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
Click Customize size.
Change the Initial Size and Maximum size text boxes (these sizes are in megabytes).
Click Set, then click OK.

Windows sets the initial minimum size of the paging file to the amount of memory (RAM) installed on your system plus 300 MB, and the maximum size at 3 times the amount of memory (RAM) installed on your computer.

Restart the computer for the changes to take effect. Deleting or disabling the paging file is not recommended.
andro_king
There are plenty of software's available across the web. I use CC cleaner to remove the unnecessary junks being held in the temporary places and from the browsers cache area. Windows has disk management, just google it and you can find it all. Good luck! Smile
zarawatsonn
Personally I am using CCleaner to remove old cache files or old temporary files from my laptop. Beside this utility, you also do Defragment of your hard disk.
amagard
Looking at task manager or resource monitor more often is a good way to identify those processes keeping your computer busy.
I personally prefer AnVir Task Manager and often look at it and sort processes by cpu or memory consumption or disk access activity. Especially the latter often is key to find processes slowing down the computer.
Some basic hints and tips are nicely summarized in this article: "How To Make Windows 8 Go Faster: 8 Tips For Improving Performance".
loveandormoney
evilryu530 wrote:

Change the OS and Your machine will work much more fast.
jestoy0514
Have you ever thought of replacing windows with a unix type operating system. I suggest you go with Linux Mint they are Ubuntu Linux based distribution and they are the top distribution for the past few years with respect to Distrowatch. If not try to disable any unnecessary startups which you think you don't need.
deanhills
jestoy0514 wrote:
Have you ever thought of replacing windows with a unix type operating system. I suggest you go with Linux Mint they are Ubuntu Linux based distribution and they are the top distribution for the past few years with respect to Distrowatch. If not try to disable any unnecessary startups which you think you don't need.
I also have been attracted to Linux Mint until I picked up on some security issues:
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/