FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Use of Meta Tags

bangalorewebgur
Signal the language to search engines via meta tag by meta name as language and its content for English en-gb
Peterssidan
Isn't the lang attribute enough to specify the language. What are the advantages of also using the meta tag?

As far as I know Google doesn't care about the lang attribute (and I guess it's the same if you use the meta tag) and only look at the text on the page to decide the language.
steeve
HTML meta tags are officially page data tags that lie between the open and closing head tags in the HTML code of a document. They are used to describe your site in the search result. Here's a code example of meta tags:

<head> <title>Not a Meta Tag, but required anyway
</title> <meta name="description"
content="Awesome Description Here"> <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8"> </head>
jajarvin
Be careful with your meta data.Arrow

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/interactive/2013/jun/12/what-is-metadata-nsa-surveillance#meta=0000000 wrote:

A case study of the Petraeus scandal:

1. To communicate, Paula Broadwell and David Petraeus shared an anonymous email account

2. Instead of sending emails, both would login to the account, edit and save drafts

3. Broadwell logged in from various hotels' public Wi-Fi, leaving a trail of metadata that included times and locations

4. The FBI crossed-referenced hotel guests with login times and locations leading to the identification of Broadwell
playfungames
I think that this post deals with a different meta data. The meta keywords and description for websites which is supposed to be thought as a ranking factor. But the search description only impacts the text that is displayed along with your website in search results. Meta keywords are useless now.

jajarvin wrote:
Be careful with your meta data.Arrow

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/interactive/2013/jun/12/what-is-metadata-nsa-surveillance#meta=0000000 wrote:

A case study of the Petraeus scandal:

1. To communicate, Paula Broadwell and David Petraeus shared an anonymous email account

2. Instead of sending emails, both would login to the account, edit and save drafts

3. Broadwell logged in from various hotels' public Wi-Fi, leaving a trail of metadata that included times and locations

4. The FBI crossed-referenced hotel guests with login times and locations leading to the identification of Broadwell
Peterssidan
playfungames is right. It's a completely different kind of meta data. For Paula Broadwell and David Petraeus to avoid being tracked down they should probably have used some kind of proxy.
johans
metatag is very simple if you are using CMS website tools.
cps31
Its not a difficult task at all to put the meta tag, just use the <meta> tag and place the keyword and description there.
roshedwardd
The <meta> tag provides metadata about the HTML document. Metadata will not be displayed on the page, but will be machine parsable. Meta elements are typically used to specify page description, keywords, author of the document, last modified, and other metadata.
robertrayal
Meta Tags are important for all website and search engine gives credit to that website.. Mostly in Meta tags: meta desc, meta title and meta keyword used.