FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how to fix display brightness

harshlavingia
I installed a linux in my laptop but my brightness adjustment key stops working in linux. I am not sure if any driver needs to be installed or not.

I am using hp laptop and have installed ubuntu 14.04 linux.
Pippo90
I also experienced plenty of problems with setting brightness on Linux (my distro was Linux Mint). At the end, since all the solutions I found online suggested to write some batch code for it, and I am not so proficient with computers, I simply uninstalled Linux and went back to Windows. Confused
Peterssidan
Solutions or workarounds to most problems can be found by searching your problem (brightness) your hardware (HP, but you could be more specific) and your distro (Ubuntu 14.04), but don't be afraid of searching for different versions or different distros, or even on the generic term "linux" because sometimes the solution is the same anyway or at least very similar. Most distros also have a forum where you can ask for help. It's very likely that you are not the only one with these problems.

Have you tried this?
http://askubuntu.com/questions/332657/cannot-change-brightness-setting-using-function-buttons-or-using-the-brightness
sysna
No one can tell you how to make those key working again except when you tell the exact model of your device. If they don't work in linux then it means they need driver, look for the main website of your device to see if there are any linux compatible driver, if there wasn't any then you should look for the same problem people might have with same device in linux and then follow their solution. There would be probably some general drivers which make those keys work again.