FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Veg or Non-Veg





vipinagrahari
There are many people who are vegetarians by choice, religious beliefs or other reasons. many researches have suggested that being vegetarian is good for physical and mental health.


Whats you view about choice of Veg and Non-Veg?
BigGeek
I'm a body builder, and have been for a long time, I do not think that vegetarians are very healthy!

First off protein is one of the most important sources of energy and nourishment that the body can be fed. The body cannot manufacture proteins from other sources of food, it has to be protein for the body to synthesize it into the protein it needs, and the protein has to have the essential amino acids for it to be a quality protein source used by the body. Typical vegetarian protein sources fall short in this area.

Milk and Eggs tend to be the best protein sources as they are high in essential amino acids and most of the protein is digested by the body. Eggs about 98% of the protein is used by the body, milk is around 89%, Fish and Chicken are around 50% because they are low in essential amino acids.

Honestly I do not think that you can build substantial amounts of muscle mass without consuming some sort of animal protein, even the vegetarian body builders use protein supplements and eat eggs.

On top of all of that, just use your daily old logic and powers of observations, and look at the vegetarians that you know, most of them are skinny, malnourished, ditzy and spacey headed unable to focus and concentrate on things for extended periods of time. Not to mention the fact that they are always sick, and due to their weak immune systems they tend to be germaphobes. Contrast that to a typical meat eater, and they are stronger, get sick less, and can tolerate horrifying conditions of uncleanliness and dirt and never get sick.

Why, protein is essential for the function of the immune system. Cool
jajarvin
Human teeth reveal that the human being is omnivorous.
Klaw 2
vipinagrahari wrote:
There are many people who are vegetarians by choice, religious beliefs or other reasons. many researches have suggested that being vegetarian is good for physical and mental health.


Whats you view about choice of Veg and Non-Veg?


I would like to see those researches because most people claim it but have nothing to back it up...

BigGeek wrote:
I'm a body builder, and have been for a long time, I do not think that vegetarians are very healthy!


Im sorry but being a body builder isn't really good for your health...

BigGeek wrote:
First off protein is one of the most important sources of energy and nourishment that the body can be fed. The body cannot manufacture proteins from other sources of food, it has to be protein for the body to synthesize it into the protein it needs, and the protein has to have the essential amino acids for it to be a quality protein source used by the body. Typical vegetarian protein sources fall short in this area.

Milk and Eggs tend to be the best protein sources as they are high in essential amino acids and most of the protein is digested by the body. Eggs about 98% of the protein is used by the body, milk is around 89%, Fish and Chicken are around 50% because they are low in essential amino acids.


If you are a vegetarian it means you dont eat meat or fish. You can still eat eggs or drink milk, vegans dont eat or drink anything that comes from animals in any way...

BigGeek wrote:
Honestly I do not think that you can build substantial amounts of muscle mass without consuming some sort of animal protein, even the vegetarian body builders use protein supplements and eat eggs.


Most people dont want a lot of muscle mass....

BigGeek wrote:
On top of all of that, just use your daily old logic and powers of observations, and look at the vegetarians that you know, most of them are skinny, malnourished, ditzy and spacey headed unable to focus and concentrate on things for extended periods of time. Not to mention the fact that they are always sick, and due to their weak immune systems they tend to be germaphobes. Contrast that to a typical meat eater, and they are stronger, get sick less, and can tolerate horrifying conditions of uncleanliness and dirt and never get sick.

Why, protein is essential for the function of the immune system. Cool


Im sorry but I call bullshit apart from that I know some people who are vegetarians and they aren't sick all the time, so how about less anekdotes and more proof? As far is I know there is no reason they should be sick all the tim. Meat or fish isn't the only source for protein. Furthermore being germaphobes and getting sick of a little dirt has nothing to do with being vegetarian...
BigGeek
Klaw 2 wrote:
BigGeek wrote:
I'm a body builder, and have been for a long time, I do not think that vegetarians are very healthy!


Im sorry but being a body builder isn't really good for your health...


Well the steroid using bodybuilders in competition today are probably not the healthiest they can be, however the life style of clean eating and lifting weights for strength is an age old undertaking and those that spend their life time doing so tend to be strong and healthy even in their old age. Jack LaLane, Bill Pearl, Reg Park, Steve Reeves, and the list goes on.

Klaw 2 wrote:
BigGeek wrote:
First off protein is one of the most important sources of energy and nourishment that the body can be fed. The body cannot manufacture proteins from other sources of food, it has to be protein for the body to synthesize it into the protein it needs, and the protein has to have the essential amino acids for it to be a quality protein source used by the body. Typical vegetarian protein sources fall short in this area.

Milk and Eggs tend to be the best protein sources as they are high in essential amino acids and most of the protein is digested by the body. Eggs about 98% of the protein is used by the body, milk is around 89%, Fish and Chicken are around 50% because they are low in essential amino acids.


If you are a vegetarian it means you dont eat meat or fish. You can still eat eggs or drink milk, vegans dont eat or drink anything that comes from animals in any way...


I understand the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian. Like I stated even vegetarian bodybuilders use milk and eggs. Which was my point:)

Klaw 2 wrote:
BigGeek wrote:
Honestly I do not think that you can build substantial amounts of muscle mass without consuming some sort of animal protein, even the vegetarian body builders use protein supplements and eat eggs.


Most people dont want a lot of muscle mass....


While your statement may be true, I personally do not feel that way, and given the loss of muscle mass that a person experiences with age, at 55 years old I would suggest to anyone to build as much as they can while they are young, so you have plenty to lose as you age, because believe me it starts to disappear and requires a lot more work to get it back, the older you get.

Also, as much as people eschew the look of muscular men and women, muscles are attractive, and a well built person has the appearance of health and strength - why? Probably because it takes incredible discipline and hard work to look lean and muscular, and if you have never undertaken the task to drop body fat and build muscle you would probably not appreciate the effort involved.

Klaw 2 wrote:
BigGeek wrote:
On top of all of that, just use your daily old logic and powers of observations, and look at the vegetarians that you know, most of them are skinny, malnourished, ditzy and spacey headed unable to focus and concentrate on things for extended periods of time. Not to mention the fact that they are always sick, and due to their weak immune systems they tend to be germaphobes. Contrast that to a typical meat eater, and they are stronger, get sick less, and can tolerate horrifying conditions of uncleanliness and dirt and never get sick.

Why, protein is essential for the function of the immune system. Cool


Im sorry but I call bullshit apart from that I know some people who are vegetarians and they aren't sick all the time, so how about less anekdotes and more proof? As far is I know there is no reason they should be sick all the tim. Meat or fish isn't the only source for protein. Furthermore being germaphobes and getting sick of a little dirt has nothing to do with being vegetarian...


Well that's probably because you don't live in Boulder Colorado and deal with the vegetarian crowd here. Which is why I still stick by my observation that the majority of them are spacey, malnourished, and get colds and flu quite a bit more than their "unhealthy" meat eating associates.

Then again that is not really a fair observation because I know two women figure athletes (smaller version of female bodybuilders) and they are both vegetarian, get plenty of protein and are as healthy as can be. Contrasted to the airy fairy new age vegetarians that do things like eat french fries and a salad for dinner and think they are being healthy because there is no meat in the meal......the salad I'm good with, the french fries? Common!

So Klaw 2 maybe I am off base somewhat with my claim of ill health for vegetarians, but honestly if you dealt with the folks I deal with in Boulder you might make the same observation too!!! Laughing

I have a vegan co-worker, for one she looks anorexic, and two she is out more than anyone else in the company with colds and flu, not to mention the fact that we by her wipes and cleaners because she is a total germaphobe and has to wash down her cube constantly, which never keeps her from getting sick and calling into work BTW.

When she cringes at me sticking my hands in filthy equipment or cleaning out disgusting enclosures, I look at her and exclaim, I'm not worried, I have an immune system!! Very Happy
fireflyflew
Because whats from nature is all NATURal, there should be nothing harmful in going for an all-natural diet. Loading up on veggies and fruits is definitely all good!
andro_king
Non veg Very Happy
CreativeVeganCooking
fireflyflew wrote:
Because whats from nature is all NATURal, there should be nothing harmful in going for an all-natural diet. Loading up on veggies and fruits is definitely all good!


I totally agree. God created us to eat fruit, grains, and nuts, not animals. It is like with a car – if the car was made to run on diesel, it does not work well to fill it up with gasoline. And just like we consult the manual for the car, we should also consult the manual for our body, the Bible. Genesis 1:29 tells us what God gave to man to eat: "And God said, 'Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.' " I know that after man sinned, God allowed him to eat clean meat (Lev. 11), but that does not mean that it is the best food for us.

Besides, animals nowadays are sicker than ever, and when we eat animal products, we are also in risk of getting sick.

And regarding the protein issue, you can read a very interesting article called "The Protein Problem" with references to well-know doctors here: http://creativevegancooking.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-protein-problem-part-1-bodys.html
It is a series of 5 short articles. I hope you enjoy them!
Pippo90
I am not veg, but I do not see anything wrong in being one. It is just a matter of choices.
Nyasro
Both Smile
grofet
Vegetarian is ok but become non vegetarian is also ok. As long we can limit out self from consuming to many meat i think it's ok.
deanhills
I do well with some flesh in my diet. I don't overconsume, but find I can keep my weight down more easily when I eat at least some fish, chicken and occasional meat with plenty of vegetables, in preference to the basic staples of a vegetarian. It would take loads of beans and vegetables to substitute the protein and nutrition of a palm size fish, chicken or meat. Beans are generally higher in carbohydrates as well. One would need to be very careful how one balanced a diet when one is a vegetarian. I used to be perpetually hungry, whereas for the last three years of including protein from flesh, I seem to be much more satisfied with hours going by without thinking of food.
rayval
vipinagrahari wrote:
There are many people who are vegetarians by choice, religious beliefs or other reasons. many researches have suggested that being vegetarian is good for physical and mental health.


Whats you view about choice of Veg and Non-Veg?


I'm non-veg. And every time I try to have a meatless meal, I go insane and eventually dig into the fridge for the biggest chunk of meat which I eat mercilessly fast.

To my defense, I'm in my early 20s and skinny as hell. I know it will eventually become a problem and I'll have to do something about it, probably tone down the meat intake (I mostly eat fat-ish meats)... but for now I'm fine.

#eatwhatyouwantclub
raubymartin
I am veg....Smile
mshafiq
I can eat both like meat and vegi.
Insanity
I think you can be healthy without being vegetarian, but sometimes I think it is going to be much easier if you are vegetarian. That's because you automatically stop eating meat, which is high in calories and fats. You can simply eat less meat when you're not a vegetarian, but it's so much easier becuase you automatically don't eat these meats which contribute so many calories.
nam_siddharth
I take both veg and non-veg Very Happy
mshafiq
I also like to eat both food like vege and non vege food.
Youggedge
I also like to eat both types of food. I believe in balance diet as both vegetarian and non-vegetarian diet is important for a healthy body.
Sivara
Just weighing in as a vegetarian! (Maybe this thread should have been a poll??)

I was raised vegetarian (as was my father), and chose to stay vegetarian for many reasons, but mainly for health and the environment. At one time I was a strict vegan, but now I'm a little less rigid and when I'm at a restaurant or someone's house I'll eat dairy/eggs. I feel much better when I have plenty of fresh fruit, veggies and whole foods. I love cooking and eating and definitely don't feel deprived of anything!
handfleisch
Of course vegetarianism is very good for your body, and of course eating meat (especially red meat) is associated with many diseases like heart problem, colon problems, etc. There's no question.

I have been a vegetarian for 13 years. I get plenty of protein and plenty of iron. In fact, I am not skinny but a little bit fat! I recently took a blood test and all my levels were perfect.

One thing that is important, though, is to know how to eat right. If you just stop eating meat but continue with a bad diet, you won't be healthier. For example, if your typical meal is a hamburger, french fries and a milkshake, and you just take out the meat from the hamburger, this is still an unhealthy meal!

loveandormoney
vipinagrahari wrote:
There are many people who are vegetarians by choice, religious beliefs or other reasons. many researches have suggested that being vegetarian is good for physical and mental health.


Whats you view about choice of Veg and Non-Veg?


There are many other ways to eat food or to avoid food.

So some people eat fruit only.
BigGeek
handfleisch wrote:
One thing that is important, though, is to know how to eat right. If you just stop eating meat but continue with a bad diet, you won't be healthier. For example, if your typical meal is a hamburger, french fries and a milkshake, and you just take out the meat from the hamburger, this is still an unhealthy meal!


This is without a doubt the best quote in this thread - this is so true - and the number of so called vegetarians that I personally know that do this sort of thing is mind boggling. Taking a bad meal and cutting out the meal just means that it is a bad meal without meat.

There is so much more to eating healthy than consuming meat or not. If you eat a very healthy diet with some meat or no meat - you are going to be healthy and hopefully live longer and healthier life than those that do not.

Personally my advice is to not worry about the meat but to clean up your diet. No fried foods, stick with lean meats, if you are a meat eater, and then eat plenty of veggies, fruits, and limit your starch sources. Keep grains at a minimum and cut out sugar drinks - stick with green tea, oolong tea, or coffee. Cleaning up your diet and eating healthy foods will go a long way toward improving your health and helping you feel better.

I too just had my yearly physical and all my blood tests came back good, all my numbers were spot on. Cholesterol was actually low! Yes I eat meat, however I buy my meat locally from farmers in Colorado that range feed their cattle - so as far as my meat consumption goes 1) it is clean meat, and 2) I don't eat red meat too often - mostly chicken and fish. Although there is no really great fish in Colorado unless you catch it yourself - anything flown in is frozen!

You can still eat a healthy clean diet that includes meat!

My biggest complaint with most people I know is the sugar consumption - fruit juices are just not all that healthy - they contain too much sugar if you ask me!
loveandormoney
The other question is
why do people love sugar + fat
special Xmas.
Do they want to be sick during happynewyear?
deanhills
BigGeek wrote:


You can still eat a healthy clean diet that includes meat!

My biggest complaint with most people I know is the sugar consumption - fruit juices are just not all that healthy - they contain too much sugar if you ask me!
I'd go as far as saying that red meat in small quantity and from grass fed animals is an important part of the diet. I used to be semi-vegetarian for a long while, thinking that was healthy, and then found that I was lacking in the right kind of protein and B Vitamins. I do much better with the addition of chicken, eggs, fish and occasional grass fed beef. It provides for a feeling of satiety, whereas I always felt hungry with semi-vegetarian.

My problem as a semi-vegetarian was that it was high-carb and high-carb feeds on itself. Like it is another form of sugar and it seems to create an urge for eating more sugar and sugar addiction. When I'm eating solid protein such as chicken, eggs, meat, etc, I don't crave sugar as such. It's also much easier to maintain a good weight. The protein of course is taken in moderation with the addition of plenty of fresh vegetables in the form of fresh salads. Like a fistful of protein and the rest of the plate taken up with fresh vegetables.
BigGeek
People love sugar and fat because they taste good!

Eating for physical function regardless of taste is not a popular habit - most people eat for taste alone with no thought of nutrition!

Athletes are some of the few people that will sacrifice taste for something healthy - something most people would never consider Shocked
BigGeek
deanhills wrote:
My problem as a semi-vegetarian was that it was high-carb and high-carb feeds on itself. Like it is another form of sugar and it seems to create an urge for eating more sugar and sugar addiction. When I'm eating solid protein such as chicken, eggs, meat, etc, I don't crave sugar as such. It's also much easier to maintain a good weight. The protein of course is taken in moderation with the addition of plenty of fresh vegetables in the form of fresh salads. Like a fistful of protein and the rest of the plate taken up with fresh vegetables.


I am with you on that one deanhills - my wife eats meat but sparingly - she loves to cook vegetarian dishes - they are really good - but I leave the table still hungry - I typically eat some meat after dinner so I don't eat a bunch of carbs because I am still hungry! So yeah I know what you mean about still being hungry after eating all veggies!

Also, best fat loss diet I have ever tried and believe me at 57 years old and having lifted most of my life I have tried quite a few of them! The best fat loss diet is carb cycling. So what I do is Monday thru Thursday I eat proteins and veggies - NO Fruit, and NO sugar, no bread, no starches - No carbs other than veggies. Then on Friday thru Sunday I eat fruits, very sparing sugar, with bread and starches - potatoes, noodles, etc.

Carb cycling has been around since the early 90's and has been touted by the bodybuilding crowd as the best fat loss diet going. In 2011 the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) and NIH (National Institute of Health) published articles about carb cycling saying it was a very effective fat loss diet! I laughed when I read that!!! As always the typical medical community is about 30 years behind the body builders for nutrition knowledge.

I get people all the time that tell me - I don't want to be too muscular and look huge, I just want to loose some weight - How do I know that yours and bodybuilding advice is good advice!

Well if you want to look lean and muscular ask a guy that is sporting 18 inch biceps with 7% body fat how he got his physique! Because if you go to a local hospital and look at the Doctors - most are fat and have horrible physiques - is a guy with a body like most Doctors the one you want to ask advice from on how to look lean and muscular, or the guy with 7% body fat!

I don't know about you, but the guy with 7% body fat is the one that would seem to know what to do, not some fat out of shape Doctor!!!!
loveandormoney
BigGeek wrote:
People love sugar and fat because they taste good!

Eating for physical function regardless of taste is not a popular habit - most people eat for taste alone with no thought of nutrition!

Athletes are some of the few people that will sacrifice taste for something healthy - something most people would never consider Shocked

Am I stupid
cause an apple is more delicious than sugar.

Do U like Candy and fried goose?

Enjoy it.

Is fat really healthy and give power and fun?
deanhills
[quote="BigGeek"]
deanhills wrote:
Also, best fat loss diet I have ever tried and believe me at 57 years old and having lifted most of my life I have tried quite a few of them! The best fat loss diet is carb cycling. So what I do is Monday thru Thursday I eat proteins and veggies - NO Fruit, and NO sugar, no bread, no starches - No carbs other than veggies. Then on Friday thru Sunday I eat fruits, very sparing sugar, with bread and starches - potatoes, noodles, etc.

Carb cycling has been around since the early 90's and has been touted by the bodybuilding crowd as the best fat loss diet going. In 2011 the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) and NIH (National Institute of Health) published articles about carb cycling saying it was a very effective fat loss diet! I laughed when I read that!!! As always the typical medical community is about 30 years behind the body builders for nutrition knowledge.
Now this is an awesome post, thanks BigGeek, I haven't seen this carb cycling before. I'm going to try it.

I agree with your observation about doctors. Quite amazing the percentage of doctors who break their own health rules. Very little or no exercise, eating junk fast food on the fly, not getting enough rest and recreation. I'm generally very skeptical and suspicious of doctors (my shortcoming), but you're definitely right that one would be even more skeptical if the doctor is very overweight. Thinking back however I remember a doctor who impressed me with his very simple and down to earth way of treating a minor ailment I had, and he was enormous. He was a good doctor though, I haven't found one like him after - like your very simple down to earth types with common sense treatment rather than prescription chemicals.
Ankhanu
loveandormoney wrote:
BigGeek wrote:
People love sugar and fat because they taste good!

Eating for physical function regardless of taste is not a popular habit - most people eat for taste alone with no thought of nutrition!

Athletes are some of the few people that will sacrifice taste for something healthy - something most people would never consider Shocked

Am I stupid
cause an apple is more delicious than sugar.

Do U like Candy and fried goose?

Enjoy it.

Is fat really healthy and give power and fun?

Stupid? Maybe not... but uninformed.

An apple is delicious because it is a source of sugar.
Fat is healthy (and essential), in moderation. Excess fat, like an excess in anything, is unhealthy (it is an excess Razz ), but it is needed for a healthy diet.

Both sugars and fats are easy to digest sources of energy for our bodies; high3 yield calorie sources that pack a lot of punch per gram. In most 'natural' systems, both sugars and fats are not in ready supply, and represent rare treats with big survival payoffs. As such, we're evolved to seek them out. In the world we've created where food is in relatively ready supply, and we can readily attain high sugar, high fat foods, our natural tendencies to seek and prefer these sorts of foods can lead to overindulgence. Our natural urges are good... in natural contexts, but can lead to problems when we find ourselves in altered contexts.
loveandormoney
This was the question.

Is the sugar in the apple better than the white sugar?
Ankhanu
White sugar is primarily sucrose.
Apples primarily have fructose, sucrose and glucose.

None of these are really better or worse, just a bit different in how they're processed. The end need is glucose within your cells to generate energy, both fructose and glucose have to be converted to glucose.

The advantage of the apple is that there is a good bit of fibre in the pulp, which slows down absorption. A lot of foods made with white sugars might not have as much fibre and similar, meaning that the sugar is absorbed more rapidly (though this isn't always the case)... it's not so much about what sugars are present, but rather how much is present and how rapidly it can be absorbed.
eviebee
I have tried being vegetarian for over four years and it definitely didn't work for me. I had serious health issues and the worst part was that my brain chemistry was completely messed up. I had either anxiety or depression all the time! It was horrible. My hair started going gray at 25 (for no other reason than my diet) and my teeth were crumbling. I tried going vegan at that time, but my body just couldn't handle it. I know that some people swear by vegan or vegetarian diets, but for others they can cause serious health problems.

There are a lot of studies that show that vegetarians and vegans have higher rates of cancer, just as there are studies that show the opposite. It depends on who conducted the study, how it was conducted, and how it was interpreted.

I think that it's important to listen to your body and eat foods that make you feel good both physically and mentally. Science shows that for a lot of people their genetic makeup determines whether they can or cannot obtain all the necessary nutrients from plant foods. Here's an interesting article on the topic: 4 Reasons Why Some People Do Well as Vegans (While Others Fail Miserably).

Whenever someone tells you that there's one diet that is perfect for everybody (whether it be vegan, or vegetarian, or Paleo, or any other), run away from that person as fast as you can because they have no idea what they are talking about.
Da Rossa
I like meat and don't plan to cut it. Maybe reduce, because of digestion. That's it.
I really don't understand some people saying I'm a bad person for eating dead animals. They also kill animals by removing a natural landscape to plant their food.
loveandormoney
Just a question.
Xmas ll arrive soon.
20 relatives
5 vegan
15 meateaters.

Any idea for a meal for all?

Soup
Main
Dessert.


Regards.


And second question:
What do You eat during Xmas?
deanhills
Briyani. You could have vegetarian and meat briyani. Economical to prepare and most people love the dish.
loveandormoney
Briyani is a very good idea for the New Year Party.
Thank You for the idea.
Vegan fish and meat all is possible.
Thank You.
Related topics
###Challange to all NON-Muslims###Christ/Hindu/Atheist/Jew##
Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class:
Non stop spamming !
Using this site for a non-profit?
In Search of Non-Corrupt Politicians
google showing non registered domain names in search results
Vegetarianism
Junior World Cup Of Hockey (Controversial "NON-Goal&quo
Do we have Free Will or is there only Determinism?
What is non-spam post?
Original Made in France but non French Music
getting rid of google's non profit ads
The-Yeah-Gang: Non-Table Based ~All My $FRIH~
Pluton : une plan่te ou non ?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.