FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What Language is Linux Written In

Possum
I know already that Linux is written in many Languages ( I Think). So what are these languages and when does code actually earn the name Linux. But What I really want to know. Is it possible for Linux to written in just one language and be compiles into one Linux Distro. Oh and that compiler has to be open source or Free..

thx..
Peterssidan
The Linux kernel is written in C and some assembly. The programs that comes with a Linux distribution could be written in almost any language but each distro has it's own rules and criteria for what programs it includes, and in what way they are included.
Possum
Would it be possible to have a version of Linux written in C. Drivers in C as well as all application.

I sat this as Im writting an application in Pascal that out puts in HTML and php. And going crazy at the same time! Smile
Peterssidan
I don't fully understand your question. The Linux kernel is already written in C, mostly. I think some assembly is unavoidable because it sometimes has to interact very close to the hardware. For most people it doesn't really matter because they simply use it without caring about how it's implemented.

A Linux distribution is more or less just a collection of software put together in a useful way. Obviously they use the Linux kernel, otherwise they wouldn't be called a Linux distribution. There is also often a desktop environment like GNOME, a text editor like nano, a graphics editor like GIMP, and a lot of other software. The Linux kernel, GNOME, nano and GIMP are all separate projects that may have been written in different languages. A Linux distribution normally use them as-is without doing any major modifications.
Possum
Good answer....

I just wish there was only one language.. Although I do understand the need for Machine Language..