FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PCI Adapters?

Helios
I would like to use an old PCI card(flash memory.. it's a project) on a new pentium 4 motherboard.

The current card only fits the old pentium 2 motherboard PCI socket, but I want it to fit both the new and the old motherboards.

Is there a PCI adapter, or something else that I can use?
Naif
The card you have must be an ISA card because you can install all PCI cards, no matter how old they are onto newer motherboard's PCI slots.

But do correct me if you are sure its a PCI card. Now if it indeed it is an ISA card, you can use a PCI to ISA Extender Card but acc. to what I know, these convertors cost a fortune! And not only is price the problem here, these convertors have limiting features too. ISA cards which require direct memory access cannot be used, only I/O access is supported.
Helios
It's a flash memory card that my friend built.
And it's a PCI card..

I just want to buy an adapter(or to build one) so i can connect this card(which fits only to the old motherboards) to a new p4 supported mobo.
Naif
What is it that is restricting it from being connected to a newer motherboard? I have a PCI ethernet adapter and a dial up modem which I used to use on my Pentium computer but now I am using it on my p4 mobo without any problems.
ocalhoun
Is the new motherboard PCI express?
If so, it is unlikely that there will ever be an adapter: PCI express is a serial connection, not parellell like PCI.
Otherwise, it should at least fit, perhaps you could do a little re-shaping of the card.