FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Deleting my account

friscofrankie
My free hosting account: isaanimports.frihost.net
I, regretfully, must request you delete my free hosting account. You have a very good service/community here and I hope that it prospers. I would however, offer the suggestion that you begin to think about your customer service and SLA.
Although the users here receive a feature-rich environment. they do provide you with a vehicle for income and as such deserve better customer service.
You have developed a community of newbies and experienced web-developers making this forum a very popular place for folks to exchange hints, tricks and tips, it is one of the more interesting forums I have had the pleasure of participating in.
This is crucial to your business of selling advertisement. Perhaps you intend to expand into paid hosting? Or just expand your advertising? Your users are your product and as such deserve a better, more responsive environment in which to practice/work.
This forum may not be your only means of support, but it is a commitment and responsibility that you have taken and deserves your attention.
I have seen many instances where you have said you are "too busy" to provide folks here with basic additional modules or configurations. Installation of Perl module take about 5 minutes the same for php mod. They require no configuration, nor do they introduce potential instability in running services, as an Apache mod might The recent outage (more like 24 hours with a brief interlude) has cost many folks traffic they have taken great pains to develop, damage it may take weeks, or, even months to repair. The amount of time it took to bring things back on line was staggering.
Your users are your product, without them you have nothing to show or sell. As such, they deserve the most stable and responsive environment you can provide. Spending 30 minutes a day on this forum can have a value of up to $50 (US) for many of the posters here; they do 'pay' for this service. The advice, and questions, make this forum what it is.
Again, I beseech you, reconsider you commitment to customer service and service levels. Your users, and the environment they provide, deserve it.

I hope you leave this post up; I am sure there will be a flood of support for you in response to this post.

Good luck
FF
Bondings
First of all, I completely understand why you leave Frihost. The server was down way too long. This shouldn't have happened.
Quote:
Although the users here receive a feature-rich environment. they do provide you with a vehicle for income and as such deserve better customer service.

The only income I get is used to pay for the servers and other costs. At the moment I need to spend a lot of time on the advertisements just to get most of the costs back.
Quote:
Your users are your product and as such deserve a better, more responsive environment in which to practice/work.

I completely agree, but I don't have money nor time to give it to them.
Quote:
Spending 30 minutes a day on this forum can have a value of up to $50 (US) for many of the posters here; they do 'pay' for this service.

Honestly, do you have any idea how much time I spend on Frihost? 30 minutes is the time I spend on banning spammers or the time I spent on removing/checking the websites of users who abuse Frihost. It's also the time I spend on answering pm's. You might not see me in the 'who is online'. That's because I hide my online status to protect me from getting even more pm's. Answering 20 pm's daily isn't unusual. The 50$ you mentioned are a dream for me. By the way, if the server is down, then this website is also down, which means no income for me to pay for the servers. Which also means that I have to pay it out of my own pocket.

I spend the majority of my spare time on Frihost. I browse this forum when I eat my breakfast, brush my teeth or make phone calls. I'm a student on university and a lot of time I spent on this forum should have been spent by studying. If I say that I am very busy, that means that I even don't have the time to keep up with the most basic things like this support and server issues.

Quote:
The recent outage (more like 24 hours with a brief interlude) has cost many folks traffic they have taken great pains to develop, damage it may take weeks, or, even months to repair. The amount of time it took to bring things back on line was staggering.

A lot of popular websites I visit frequently are down from time to time. I didn't notice that it takes months to repair the damage. People don't remove links to your website because you are down for one day, google doesn't remove their listings either. Of course we did lose a lot of people for this for sure.

Just to give you an example. Webmasterworld.com, the most popular webmaster forum in the whole world, was recently down for half a week due to their host(westhost I think). Just to show you that it can happen to everyone, even the biggest.

I'm doing everything I can for Frihost. I can't do more. If this is not enough for you or your website, then you should really consider paid webhosting (and not the cheapest ones). Look for a good host which has 5-15 minutes response time to support tickets and a 99.9% uptime guarantee. This will cost you at least 7-10$ per month. And if you have an ecommerce site which really earns money, then also get a dedicated ip-address with a certificate. No free webhost is able to get you all those things for free. I don't like to say it, but for some websites, Frihost isn't suited.

Also, all the perl installs and those things, most paid hosts don't install them either. Also, all the software-specific questions like issues with phpbb or php-nuke are not answered by most paid hosts. We at least try to answer them.

By the way, I spent over half an hour on this response. Wink

Good luck with your website.
friscofrankie
Thanks for the time. I'm sure you are drained after the ordeal. I have always taken down time on one of my servers personally and sure you do too. The last days must have taken a lot out of you.

Most sites here are fledglings in their own right and are no where near as popular as Webmasterworld.com. They have to work hard to get and maintain views. If Google was down I would keep checking back until it was up. If Joe Schmoe who I've never heard of is down the first time I click on a link? I doubt I would follow up. I built my unique views from 10 a month to 47 a day in one month, they are at 18 now for the past two days. But I am sure I will survive. This is neither here nor there. Water under the bridge.

I have to salute the environment here; the new host is no where as feature rich.

Yes, you are correct, I should, and have, signed with a paid host with unique IP address, etc I am able to install my own modules. But I will not move to that host in a the next few minutes, their support is slow and unresponsive and I have already begun searching a new one... But, they guarantee 99.9% uptime and I believe that this is crucial to the success of a budding site. I did move my local mirror to a new free site temporarily during the down time. This is why have removed my site so quickly.

I do understand your site also, is a fledgling site and has gained extreme popularity and a loyal following in the short time it has been up. No doubt that this site will eventually pay dividends to you down the road. Good luck with your site as well. It's a lot of work I do not believe I would take the responsibility myself, but I believe that you will have a very popular, earning site in the near future.

I want to thank you for hosing my site