FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What Router do You recomend?

Possum
What Router do you use. I'm looking for a Router that I can put (or Write) applications on. My aim is to have an always on Torrent Server and HTML server on.
badai
FreeSco
Possum
Freesco looks very old
badai
You are serving, not accessing. Just be a nerd and use command line.
Possum
FreeSco looks like its been deserted.. Sad So much fantastic software become desertedware..
badai
Possum wrote:
FreeSco looks like its been deserted.. Sad So much fantastic software become desertedware..

really? you must have very stringent criteria to define deserted. nobody else will say something that was updated less than 2 months ago is deserted. see http://www.freesco.info/support-forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17687

yes, the guy is tired of doing it after 15 years and want to find somebody to take over, but he stated clearly:

Quote:
I am not quitting and will always be a part of FREESCO

which can be interpreted that as long nobody volunteer to take it, most probably he will keep maintaining it until he die or if someone does volunteer, he will still contributing to freesco. in another word, freesco is far from dying.

just compare their forum with our forum, at least the owner is still around.
Possum
Whoops.. OMG.. I got that wrong.. I need to slow down my browsing...

Thank you for being persistent.. Smile

I will go back and have a slow read..... How can something so small be so powerful...
Simonjw
Hi mate,

This is actually a really good question and to be honest I create my own routers from Small Form Factor Motherboards, Hard Drive, DC Power Supply and Network Cards. The software I uses varies from a few Open Source software. i.e pfsense, smoothwall and untangled(Not so Open Source anymore).

These are pretty much operating systems too and they give you a lot of leeway with your routing. Definitely worth a look. Darren Kitchen from HAK5 on YouTube did a tutorial on this exact idea, it would be worth checking out.

Simo out Smile
Possum
Wow.. Its a small internet. Yes Darren's and Hak5 are great (Shannon is cool too)

Yes I do understand what you are doing. And I may follow your example by using the Raspberry PI or the newer Banana PI. I would do this with a switch. That way I keep the Watts down..

thx
Simonjw
Possum wrote:
Wow.. Its a small internet. Yes Darren's and Hak5 are great (Shannon is cool too)

Yes I do understand what you are doing. And I may follow your example by using the Raspberry PI or the newer Banana PI. I would do this with a switch. That way I keep the Watts down..

thx

Hahah yeah the internet is really a small place Wink. Both are equally as great, the show would not be like it is with either of them not on board Smile.

You can keep the wattage to a minimal with a small ATX board and integrated sd instead of a full hard drive as your storage. I choose a mini-server so to speak as in the future I could run a virtual machine off it and then have my firewall and then a virtual NAS on a virtual LAN so to speak and then distribute each service to my network/s. Keeping in mind I am building a fully functional enterprise Datacentre.

Raspberry PI and Banana PI are really neat little machines, thinking of trying to make a mini-datacentre with them as a test, but I don't think you could use it as a firewall as you have no way in adding an external NIC, well to my knowledge. But then again it could be retrofitted to have a few NICs if you took the time to figure it out. Hack, hack, hack and anything is possible.

I hope you do choose this route and let me/us know how it goes in the future, will be great to hear. Depending on where you are in the world, I am sure you'll be able to build such an open source router for a decent price that won't hurt your pocket and if you don't have the funds, you could always head on over to kickstarter or find other means like it to raise the fund to start your awesome project and learning experience.

I hope all goes well and good luck Smile
johans
Possum wrote:
What Router do you use. I'm looking for a Router that I can put (or Write) applications on. My aim is to have an always on Torrent Server and HTML server on.

I think firewall can handle more your requirements. I suggest try the cyberoam it has nice and more advance features.

Cyberoam Unified Threat Management hardware appliances offer comprehensive security to organizations, ranging from large enterprises to small and branch offices. Multiple security features integrated over a single, Layer 8 Identity-based platform make security simple, yet highly effective. Cyberoam’s Extensible Security Architecture (ESA) and multi-core technology carry the ability to combat future threats for organizations’ security.

Due to its great featured there company was acquired by SOPHOS.
Simonjw
I just remembered to add this.

The epic thing with creating your own router this way with a large hard drive is that you can cache many websites which don't change that often, so that if someone researches the website frequently it won't put so much stress on your bandwidth. And it will automatically cache the website if it has changed at all.

Facebook and sites like it which are based on user content and forever changing are more of a difficult one , but still somewhat cache-able with regards to css and previously posted content. It would be great if the games could be cached as they eat a lot of bandwidth, but limiting sites such as Facebook to only use at most 60% of bandwidth does help.

Cheers