FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Football/Soccer:-Is it the most peace preserving thing?

chasbeen
You only have to look at the World cup this year to see that countries from all over the globe have yet again been brought together for the "global party"

There is nothing like healthy sporting competition to preserve world peace. Football/Soccer is the worlds most popular sport.

What other factors can you think of that also preserves peace in the World today?
RosenCruz
Definitely not. Based on club teams, in my country every year hundreds get hurt, even a few people dies on soccer team fights around stadiums. Police has to interfere in these clashes Mad
deanhills
Rosen has a good point. I remember when Vancouver Center City was ramsacked after a hockey game. Anything but peaceful.
LxGoodies
chasbeen wrote:
You only have to look at the World cup this year to see that countries from all over the globe have yet again been brought together for the "global party"

There is nothing like healthy sporting competition to preserve world peace. Football/Soccer is the worlds most popular sport.

What other factors can you think of that also preserves peace in the World today?

Maybe demonstrations for peace help. Especially in powerful countries.

About football and peace: look at Brasil now. When something goes wrong.. they'll probably have 1 big problem.
chasbeen
Brazil played a "peace match" some years ago in a war torn region. It was dangerous for the international players but the Haitian people believe it contributed to peace.
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
Brazil played a "peace match" some years ago in a war torn region. It was dangerous for the international players but the Haitian people believe it contributed to peace.
Reminds me of that old saying, war/peace is in the eye of the beholder.
Insanity
I think ideally it works out that way, because people can come together to enjoy a good sport. But then again there are always those bad apples that ruin things for everyone. You know there is going to be a group of people who will riot if the games don't go the way they want, there's always going to be some sort of betting or gambling going on for the games, and people can lose money or get hurt that way. Then there's always the injuries that can happen as a result of the games that lead to people getting hurt and sometimes even killed.
deanhills
Insanity wrote:
I think ideally it works out that way, because people can come together to enjoy a good sport. But then again there are always those bad apples that ruin things for everyone. You know there is going to be a group of people who will riot if the games don't go the way they want, there's always going to be some sort of betting or gambling going on for the games, and people can lose money or get hurt that way. Then there's always the injuries that can happen as a result of the games that lead to people getting hurt and sometimes even killed.
Looks as though the presence of alcohol can create problems. And when the organizers are able to control the use of alcohol that makes a huge difference to how peaceful the gathering usually is.
RosenCruz
A few days ago, a famous team from Turkey (Fenerbahçe) and the biggest team in Syria (Al Ittihad) made a friendly exhibition match to improve relationship between 2 countries. We were very friendly with them and that match surely helped a lot.

Things did not grow better in Syria after that match. Too sad. But football can really sometimes bring peace if used strategically.
jajarvin
My new rule:
  • Make Soccer not War
standready
Soccer is so peaceful and tasty too! apparently? chomp!
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/luis-cannibal-suarez-bite/story?id=24297838
deanhills
standready wrote:
Soccer is so peaceful and tasty too! apparently? chomp!
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/luis-cannibal-suarez-bite/story?id=24297838
Haha .... Laughing Maybe it was a love bite ...

Looks as though he'll have to see the dentist after this "bite" .... Razz

chasbeen
There's lunatics, raving nutcases and a host of various other lunatics. I cannot fit dear Luis Suarez into any category...

I love it!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
spinout
I suppose teh football game adds to the world peace.
deanhills
spinout wrote:
I suppose teh football game adds to the world peace.
More like shows what it is to be human. Razz
grofet
Competition is not good for peace. All people should be live in harmony with sport. Sport is something to stay healthy and get a lot of fun. Many people get killed by fighting with other supporter. Many people hate each other because of competition in sports. Human get separated by hundreds of country and only few of them can participate in world cup. I think competition is sport such as world cup soccer and olympic should be reconsidered for peace.